America's Most Admired Man and Woman

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
According to a Gallup poll, President Trump is America's most admired man. Michelle Obama is America's most admired Woman.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/328193...utm_content=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans are most likely to name President Donald Trump and Michelle Obama as most admired man and woman in 2020. Trump tied former President Barack Obama for the honor last year but edged out his predecessor this year. Trump's first-place finish ends a 12-year run as most admired man for Obama, tied with Dwight Eisenhower for the most ever.
Meanwhile, Michelle Obama ranks as most admired woman for the third year in a row. Vice President-elect Kamala Harris is second.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Now for the rest of the story.....

“The incumbent president is usually top of mind when Gallup asks Americans to name, without prompting, which man living anywhere in the world they admire most. In the 74 times Gallup has asked the open-ended most admired man question since 1946, the incumbent president has topped the list 60 times. Harry Truman (1946-1947 and 1950-1952), Lyndon Johnson (1967-1968), Richard Nixon (1973), Gerald Ford (1974-1975), Jimmy Carter (1980), George W. Bush (2008) and Trump (2017-2018) are the incumbent presidents who did not finish first in past years.”

“Forty-eight percent of Republicans name Trump this year, with no other public figure receiving more than 2% of Republicans' votes.
Obama is the top choice among Democrats, at 32%, but that is down from 41% last year. President-elect Joe Biden (13%) is also commonly named by Democrats.”

Additionally, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, is named by 5% of Democrats but only 1% of Republicans, further contributing to Democrats' relative dispersion of choices.

Independents are evenly split between Trump (11%) and Obama (11%), with another 3% naming Biden and 2% Fauci.”
—————
Not exactly a resounding vote of confidence and admiration by the totality of the country.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Ok this will be fun.......

Who is your most admired American public figure......can be athlete author politician etc etc.....but they must be known don’t say “my dad” or something like that......go

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
The poll was taken between December 1st and December 17th, 2020.

Maybe people forgot who they voted for?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Who is your most admired American public figure......can be athlete author politician etc etc.....but they must be known don’t say “my dad” or something like that......go
Currently this is a particularly hard question these days because American's don't admire people anymore, they tear them apart on social media for sport. Historically it's an easy one...As it is for our former athletes from OSU anyway.

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
He definitely isn't mine, but I think this is a good time to defend LeBron James. For now, let's put last year's China comments aside...

This guy was born to a single 16 year old woman. His father was never in his life. He was proclaimed the next Jordan before he could drive. He endured immense pressure to reach seemingly unreachable expectations on the court and eventually actually exceeded them. He's never been in legal trouble. He is a very involved father to his 3 kids. He has been very charitable, especially in his hometown of Akron.

It's definitely OK to dislike his politics or some of the controversial statements he's said; especially the China comments. However, remember that his whole world is the NBA so his world view is through its lens.

Again, he's not my hero or or my most admired, but I think he's a good role model for being such a good citizen and father. Particularly for the black community.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

All quotations are from the article you posted. Bolding for emphasis has been done by me.

"When the sitting president is not the top choice, it is usually because he is unpopular politically. That was the case in 2017 and 2018 when Trump had 36% and 40% approval ratings, respectively, and finished second to Obama as most admired man.

Even though Trump is similarly unpopular now -- 39% approve of his performance -- his dominant performance among Republicans, contrasted with Democrats splitting their choices among multiple public figures, pushes him to the top of the 2020 most admired man list."

Or maybe Democrats didn't split their votes in the Presidential election like they did in a meaningless poll.

"Overall, 18% of Americans name Trump, 15% name Obama, 6% Biden and 3% Fauci. The remaining top 10 men include Pope Francis, businessman Elon Musk, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates, basketball player LeBron James, and the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists."

Or maybe those that voted for Obama in a meaningless poll universally voted for Obama's former VP in the election. Maybe along with those that voted in this poll for Bernie, Bill Gates, LeBron James, and the Dalai Lama

Either of which easily explains the election results better than "people forgot who they voted for".....since we're speculating and all that.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

It was the Notorious RBG for me until she died....which went right along with my personal admiration for Justice Scalia.

Now, it's probably Justice Gorsuch. He told the Senate he would jurisprudentially be a Constitutional Textualist on the bench....and he has been....even when it led to decisions that the guy that appointed him clearly wouldn't agree with.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
All quotations are from the article you posted. Bolding for emphasis has been done by me.

"When the sitting president is not the top choice, it is usually because he is unpopular politically. That was the case in 2017 and 2018 when Trump had 36% and 40% approval ratings, respectively, and finished second to Obama as most admired man.

Even though Trump is similarly unpopular now -- 39% approve of his performance -- his dominant performance among Republicans, contrasted with Democrats splitting their choices among multiple public figures, pushes him to the top of the 2020 most admired man list."

Or maybe Democrats didn't split their votes in the Presidential election like they did in a meaningless poll.

"Overall, 18% of Americans name Trump, 15% name Obama, 6% Biden and 3% Fauci. The remaining top 10 men include Pope Francis, businessman Elon Musk, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates, basketball player LeBron James, and the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists."

Or maybe those that voted for Obama in a meaningless poll universally voted for Obama's former VP in the election. Maybe along with those that voted in this poll for Bernie, Bill Gates, LeBron James, and the Dalai Lama

Either of which easily explains the election results better than "people forgot who they voted for".....since we're speculating and all that.
You show all the signs of classic Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
If he was alive today, I think Fred Rogers would be near the top of this list.

I've been trying to think of and look up the most liked Americans alive today. Ones that are the least controversial. Let me know what you think and who you'd add:

Bill Murray
Michael Jordan
Bob Dylan
Colin Powell
Dwayne Johnson (The Rock)
Paul McCartney

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You show all the signs of classic Trump Derangement Syndrome.
LOL.

No I don't.

I merely quoted the article that YOU posted and showed yet again the clear and obvious flaws in your arguments.

Your "Maybe they forgot who they voted for" statement was COMPLETE AND UTTER nonsense.

I merely pointed that out.

You, however, absolutely do show all the signs of classic Trump Deification Syndrome....or as i like to call it...Type II TDS.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
If he was alive today, I think Fred Rogers would be near the top of this list.

I've been trying to think of and look up the most liked Americans alive today. Ones that are the least controversial. Let me know what you think and who you'd add:

Bill Murray
Michael Jordan
Bob Dylan
Colin Powell
Dwayne Johnson (The Rock)
Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney....not an American.

Not so sure that The Last Dance hasn't made Jordan too controversial or disliked to be on the list.

Rest of the list seems pretty legit as "most liked"....though Bob Dylan often splits opinions with regards to likely, but is fairly well regarded and acknowledged for his talent.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
LOL.

No I don't.

I merely quoted the article that YOU posted and showed yet again the clear and obvious flaws in your arguments.

Your "Maybe they forgot who they voted for" statement was COMPLETE AND UTTER nonsense.

I merely pointed that out.

You, however, absolutely do show all the signs of classic Trump Deification Syndrome....or as i like to call it...Type II TDS.
What argument did I make? I just simply posted the article.

Other than the one where I pointed out it was taken well after the election and said "maybe they forgot who they voted for" that seemed to have an effect on you as well.

You're the one flipping out over it, not me.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
What argument did I make? I just simply posted the article.
No....you did not "simply posted the article".

You selectively quoted said article.

Then posted.....

Which was clearly and obviously a reference to the Presidential election and an implication that the results reflect an inconsistency between the two matters.

I then pointed out that there is no inconsistency between those two.....using the article that you posted and selective quoted to paint a full picture no disclosed by your selective quotation.

To which you broke out the old say of Trump deifiers everywhere that anyone that has anything negative to say about the President suffers some type of derangement.....as if anyone that has any criticism of their Beloved Leader must be crazy.

I am in no way deranged by Trump or his actions while President.

Some of them I agreed with. Some of them I didn't. Some I thought were a decent enough idea to pursue. Some I though were incredibly dumb. Pretty much just like every other President we've had since I've been voting. He's just another average, self-serving, politician who cares more about staying in office than anything else. Nothing extraordinary about him in the slightest....for good or for ill.

And he's on his way out the door after by all accounts and actual admissible evidence was a free, fair, and open election.

Mar 11, 2006

Politicians: Ronald Reagan, Joe Lieberman, John McCain, Dan Boren (may not always agree with them, but respect them)

Journalist/writers: John Stossel (agree with nearly everything his says — he hits both parties, but most importantly he is consistent)
Thomas Sowell (an early thought leader)

sports: Reggie White (simply a born leader), Jonathan Isaac, Julie Ertz, Kelly O’Hara (for standing up and not doing the easy thing)
DeWayne Johnson (always seems to be in on fun)
Shaq O’Neal and Charles Barkley - (probably my two favorite people in sports)

entertainment: Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres (both overcame a lot and both had shows focused on positivity - which is rare — especially during mid-day)
Tom Selleck