American Style Democracy vs. Pizza

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I assume you are talking about the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Assumed correctly. Tried taking the other way for a spin. It was just horrible. Felt Canadian or something ;)

Aug 16, 2012
I assume people that spend the time to vote, believe in it.
If these people do not understand the process that has been in place for centuries and the reasons behind it, maybe they should not be permitted to vote in the first place. We already have enough ignorant voters.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I assume people that spend the time to vote, believe in it.
If these people do not understand the process that has been in place for centuries and the reasons behind it, maybe they should not be permitted to vote in the first place. We already have enough ignorant voters.
Certainly you don’t think Sanders or Warren supporters are in some ways ignorant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm still wondering why the Democrats haven't changed their primary to a national popular vote. I mean if mob rule is the best way to pick the best person as they claim, why are they still picking a candidate with delegates?

This is very similar to people who fly around in private jets and then lecture us about climate change. First prove that you actually believe it yourself before trying to change my mind about it.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Really? No one's going to point out the basis of the OP being from an opinion formed by an 8yr old just learning about our voting system for the first time?... Was I the only one that caught that part? "Seemed weird when I was in 3rd grade..."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Really? No one's going to point out the basis of the OP being from an opinion formed by an 8yr old just learning about our voting system for the first time?... Was I the only one that caught that part? "Seemed weird when I was in 3rd grade..."

Oh I noticed. And *almost* went all old man get off my lawn and damn near started the “hey, life ain’t fair little buddy” lecture.

But didn’t.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

Oh I noticed. And *almost* went all old man get off my lawn and damn near started the “hey, life ain’t fair little buddy” lecture.

But didn’t.
I was really expecting Rx to be all over that. Lol. Then was shocked that it went unmentioned by everyone. Lol.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I think the popular vote is just as unfair.

When 44% of the voters don’t pay income tax it seems unfair their vote counts the same as mine.

I imagine Ed, Ann, and Ty we’re going to make Liz pay.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ed: Where should we eat? I say pizza.
Ann: Pizza!
Ty: Pizza!
Liz: This old shoe!
Ed: Ugh, guess we have to eat burgers.
Ann: Why??
Ty: Because the eight members of the Smith family next door decided to have burgers and we have to go with the majority.
Or just change it to Ann, Ed, and Ty want shoes and Liz wants Pizza. In the electoral college pizza wins out. In mob rule everyone eats shoes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
I haven't put too much thought into it, but one possibility I'd consider considering is to divide states' electors up into areas defined by their representatives. So, for Oklahoma (and every other state) 2 electors will go to the overall state popular vote based on the 2 senators. The other 5 votes will go based on the popular vote of each of the 5 representative districts. So, perhaps Oklahoma would be split 3 (for the 3 rural districts) to 2 (for the basically OKC and Tulsa districts). This would make "every vote" more likely to be important - as least in some areas. While Oklahoma is at risk of losing two normally republican electoral college votes, California might lose more normally democratic votes.

For Wyoming - all 3 go the same way since they only have one representative.

Let the importance of gerrymandering arguments begin.

View attachment 77826
I would agree, but the districts would have to be drawn in a nonpartisan way, which i would also be a big fan of. That is why proportional distribution by state result would be an easier change but i would be fine with this as well