America Wants Border Security!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Report Trump has been briefed on Plan if he declares a National Emergency.

His National Emergency plan would be to use the Army Corps of Engineers and part of their $13.9 Billion funding set aside for the Corps to cover civil works projects through 2020. Also use $2.5 billion set aside for reconstruction projects Puerto Rico and $2.4 Billion allocated to a flood prevention and protection project for the Yuba River Basin and Folsom Dam project in California to build 315 miles of border fence

The Army Corp of Engineers informed Trump they could build 315 miles of border wall in 18 months that would be 30ft high and bollard-style if they do it along the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, the El Centro area outside San Diego and by Yuma AZ

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Three ranchers on the US/Mexico border offer an invitation to Nancy Pelosi.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
IMHO this is the broken parts of Immigration.

1. Lack of Judges to process the workload and backlog
2. Law that says immigrants are released into the US pending their Hearing.

Change the law to kick them out to their own country while still awaiting Trial, Hire more judges to speed up the process and clear back log (ps. you don't have to keep them forever).

However, you won't hear this out of any Dem or Rep in Washington because it is a realistic approach to the problem that doesn't score any points for them politically
I agree wholeheartedly with your points 1 & 2.

I disagree with your last statement however. I've heard plenty of Republicans and conservatives advocate both more judges and not releasing into the U.S. before trial.

As to not releasing them into the U.S., but sending them back home........... can't the hearings be held without them physically present? In this technologically advanced age it would be easy and more cost efficient to set up a video conference in the applicant's home country, perhaps at the U.S. Embassy in said country. (Just thinking out loud here)

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
You need to read Pelosi's talking points again. Walls are "immoral".
Yeah, they're immoral, if they are a waste of tax dollars. But drug smugglers don't mind more walls, if it means they can make even more money. Is that moral?

"When asked whether the border wall promised by President Trump will stop smugglers, he smiles. “This is never going to stop, neither the narco trafficking nor the illegals,” he says. “There will be more tunnels. More holes. If it doesn’t go over, it will go under.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/opinion/sunday/mexican-drug-smugglers-to-trump-thanks.html?_r=0

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Your talking about percentages. In 10 years the known population has increased 15 million. What's the percentage increase since 1950. It's over 100%
http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/
As the total number gets bigger of course the percentage will go down.

You might want to check your link too. It talks about states

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
During Trump's admin so far.....fewer border arrest have occurred in Trump's 2 years than 2 of the last 3 years of Obama's second term. Are you saying Trump still has the border patrol hands tied?

View attachment 67441
I think that there was a surge at first of fear for people to cross with Trumps strong words. Then the backlash of politics tied his hands. Our government needs to get its shot together and reform immigration, like has been talked about for decades.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Your talking about percentages. In 10 years the known population has increased 15 million. What's the percentage increase since 1950. It's over 100%

My link is the the US census, the very first sentence discusses the nation before breaking down states.
Rates of change are always in percentages. If you are saying our population is huge that any increase is going to also be a big number then sure. But, your claim was that we had an “extreme population gain” in recent years. That just isn’t a factual statement. A declining rate over time is not a recent extreme gain by any definition.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
My link is the the US census, the very first sentence discusses the nation before breaking down states.
Rates of change are always in percentages. If you are saying our population is huge that any increase is going to also be a big number then sure. But, your claim was that we had an “extreme population gain” in recent years. That just isn’t a factual statement. A declining rate over time is not a recent extreme gain by any definition.
Why didnt you just post the time article?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5485023/census-us-population-growth-2018

Jul 7, 2004
Yeah, if only those ranchers could be given an effective wall in keeping illegals out, they would love to see it make the value of their land go up. Don't blow millions or billions on new fences or walls unless they are highly effective.
1. Barack Obama
“The bill before us will certainly do some good,” said then-Senator Obama in 2006, adding that the Secure Fence Act would provide “better fences and better security” and that it would make headway against “the tide of illegal immigration in this country.”
“Real reform means stronger border security,” said Obama several years later as president, during his 2013 State Of The Union.
“Independent economists say immigration reform will grow our economy and shrink our deficits by almost one trillion dollars in the next two decades,” said Obama during his 2014 State Of The Union, bringing up his alleged concern about stopping illegal immigration once again.
2. Hillary Clinton
“Look, I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in, and I do think you have to control your borders,” said Clinton, referring to the Secure Fence Act of 2006, “We need to secure our borders, I’m for it, I voted for it, I believe in it.”
3. Bill Clinton
A decade earlier, Hillary Clinton’s husband and then-president Bill Clinton affirmed his own beliefs that illegal immigration should be stopped in his 1995 State Of The Union, stating that “all Americans” were right to be “disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering [the United States],” adding that illegal aliens “impose burdens on [U.S.] taxpayers.”
4. Chuck Schumer
Schumer, who also voted in favor of the Secure Fence Act, elaborated on his pro-border security stance a few years later in a speech at the Georgetown University Law Center, in which the senator told his audience that referring to illegal aliens as “undocumented” is unacceptable.
“Illegal immigration is wrong, plain and simple,” said Schumer, “When we use phrases like ‘undocumented workers,’ we convey a message to the American people that their government is not serious about combatting illegal immigration, which the American people overwhelmingly oppose.”
“If you don’t think it’s illegal, you’re not going to say it. I think it is illegal, and wrong, and we have to change it,” added the senator.
5. Dianne Feinstein
“Democrats are solidly behind controlling the border, and we support the border fence,” said Feinstein of the Secure Fence Act of 2006.
6. Nancy Pelosi
In 2013, then-House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi referred to border security as a “basic principle,” and urged congress to support legislation that she claimed would secure the U.S. border.
7. Vice President Joe Biden
“We [President Obama and I] felt so strongly, from the day we took office, for the need for immigration reform,” said Vice President Biden in 2014, who had also voted in favor of the Secure Fence Act when he was a senator.
Biden continued, by criticizing those who choose to enter a foreign country illegally:
“Imagine — you say, ‘I got a good idea, let’s gather up everything we have, sell it, give it to some coyotes to take us to a country that doesn’t want us, drop us off in God knows where, we don’t [know] anybody, we leave everything that’s familiar to us. Let’s go, isn’t that going to be a great idea?’ These are horrible decisions these people are making.”

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

The US birth rate is too low to sustain a population. That leaves too other causes of population growth, migration and life expectancy. Life expectancy seems to be slowing some.

Life expectancy from 1900 to 1998.

Capture.PNG

http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
The US birth rate is too low to sustain a population. That leaves too other causes of population growth, migration and life expectancy. Life expectancy seems to be slowing some.

Life expectancy from 1900 to 1998.

View attachment 67443
http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html
Yeah I heard the CEO of chamber of commerce talking the other day. That is what the drain on social security programs. From the 60 to 82( edit 78 now because of allthe drug overdoses)