Amazon to launch Lord of the Rings TV series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm guessing this means Amazon didn't pick up the Wheel of Time.
Sony Pictures Television owns it and are producing it with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures....Rafe Judkins will write and is listed as exec producer....he has worked with ABC on Agents of Shield, NBC's Chuck and Netflix Series Hemlock Grove.

I'm betting Netflix and Hulu will be slugging it out to land it.

My wife is currently listening to the entire series on audio book

Orangendn

Territorial Marshal
Nov 17, 2004
El Reno, OK
I hope they do everything in the book no matter how long it takes. If the series gets canceled before the material is exhausted that would be ok. It would be much better than skipping parts, the series is a success and the series runs out of source material so they make up their own stuff.

Oct 7, 2008
Bezos: "Bring me the next Game of Thrones."
Amazon guy: "How 'bout Lord of the Rings?"
Bezos: "Close enough."

They've got the cash and source material. Probably just depends how good the director is and how good a job they do with casting. (and a million other things that could go wrong)

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
It will be focused on other material that Tolkien wrote involving Middle Earth.
Actually it is set between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

"The LOTR original series, a prequel to Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring, will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust; HarperCollins; and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment, which produced the hugely successful LOTR movie franchise."

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-...tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Way back in college I use to play an online game called MUME (Multi Users in Middle Earth). The game was entirely text based, but was similar to WOW in that you played online with people from all over. If all of the content in that game came from Tolkien's works, then any show based on the same should have a nearly endless supply of ideas, locations and history to create the show from.