All this talk of not getting run blocking up front.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Our backs combined for an average of 5.3 yards per attempt against Tech, with Hill going for 9.2. Maybe it is that you aren't feeding the beast like you should be. If your QB can't hit the broadside of a barn, here's an idea, feed Hill and company the ball and keep that Tech offense off the field and drain the clock.

Rushing No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg Hill, Justice 12 116 5 111 1 37 9.2 Hubbard, Chuba 4 14 1 13 0 7 3.2 King, J.D. 3 8 0 8 0 6 2.7 Cornelius, Taylor 4 20 20 0 0 14 0.0 TEAM 1 0 4 -4 0 0 -4.0 Totals 24 158 30 128 1 37 5.3

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Sorry, the stats didn't copy and paste correctly.

Hill: 12 carries 116 yards 5 for loss 111 total long of 37 and 9.2 avg
Hubbard 4 carries 14 yards 1 for loss 13 total long of 7 3.2 avg
King: 3 8 for loss 8 total 2.7 avg
Corn Dog had 20 yards on 4 carries, but had too many sack yards

Dec 6, 2013
Those stats weren't consistent thru-out the game. We had that 99 yard drive early then another decent drive which inflated the average numbers , then they started tackling for a loss with a much greater frequency.

Dec 6, 2013
Sorry, the stats didn't copy and paste correctly.

Hill: 12 carries 116 yards 5 for loss 111 total long of 37 and 9.2 avg
Hubbard 4 carries 14 yards 1 for loss 13 total long of 7 3.2 avg
King: 3 8 for loss 8 total 2.7 avg
Corn Dog had 20 yards on 4 carries, but had too many sack yards
That's already way too many TFL on only 19 carries. The way they could load the box in the 2nd half meant more runs would still be an exercise in futility. You have to have an accurate passer to keep them honest.

BadBob

Greenhorn
Oct 19, 2010
the majority of the time when we run out of a 2 running back formation we are extremely effective.
Too many single back formations running diagonal for no gain. It is the scheme more that anything.

Aug 31, 2008
We just have no talent right now in the line as a result of two bad hires by Gundy. I was looking at the our roster and i think we have 1 top 1000 recruit and a couple top 100 JC recruits from our RS freshman class to our senior class. the good news is that Henson already has 8 top 1000 recruits in our freshman class and our 2019 class. some people have been saying they are worried that he isnt a good coach but i think he just doesnt have much to work with. i guess we will know in a few years if he can develop players

For Hill to still get 100 yard games with our current line just shows how good he is

Jan 31, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think we will look back later and realize this was a pretty good Texas Tech Football Team.

The Cowboys had a bit of a letdown after a big win as did the coaches. I predicted this loss and was not surprised. Interesting to watch how the players respond.

The Kansas game will be a tough game for the Cowboys. Several key players are banged up. Some of the young guns will have to step up. Cowboys better be careful.

Oct 30, 2007
Overall we had 128 yards on 24 carries for an average of 5.3 yards per carry against Texas Tech. But those stats are misleading. Justice Hill had two long runs of 37 & 35 yards. Outside of those two runs, we averaged about 2.5 yards per carry. That type of running game isn't good enough to sustain drives.

Coach Henson needs to get his offensive line performing at a higher level. We're going to struggle offensively until that happens.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Overall we had 128 yards on 24 carries for an average of 5.3 yards per carry against Texas Tech. But those stats are misleading. Justice Hill had two long runs of 37 & 35 yards. Outside of those two runs, we averaged about 2.5 yards per carry. That type of running game isn't good enough to sustain drives.

Coach Henson needs to get his offensive line performing at a higher level. We're going to struggle offensively until that happens.
Nailed it in the first paragraph. No consistent holes led to TFL and no gain or very short gains. Didn't make TT respect the run game. Pressure multiple times on TC in the passing game disrupted that also. OL making it very difficult to mount any kind of consistent offense at this point.
Going to get harder, not easier. We had similar issues last year to a somewhat lesser degree. But our inability to run block out of our current system is a huge concern now and going forward. We haven't run the ball well since 2013 about mid-year.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Its pretty easy to stuff the run when you know the opposing teams QB can't hit passes and the O coordinator is dialed in to throwing it deep. I am by no means giving the O Line a pass because the center was and hasn't been good in any game this year. From pathetically low snaps to missing blocks, its bad and disrupting to our QB who also doesn't get a pass. Whoever is making the decision to call these long developing plays (even our run plays are long developing) truly needs to watch our own game film and see how successful those are for us against what was the worst defense we will see for the rest of the year and make some serious changes or we will struggle to make a bowl game. After watching the Boise State game I didn't think anyone could beat us in the conference and after watching Tech kick our tail up and down the field I'm struggling to find wins. Almost a carbon copy of last year with a much less talented QB.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I think we will look back later and realize this was a pretty good Texas Tech Football Team.

The Cowboys had a bit of a letdown after a big win as did the coaches. I predicted this loss and was not surprised. Interesting to watch how the players respond.

The Kansas game will be a tough game for the Cowboys. Several key players are banged up. Some of the young guns will have to step up. Cowboys better be careful.
I’ll be sold on Tech if they beat WVU. I hope they do, and it will help justify our ass beating a little bit more. Though, I’m still very concerned about QB1.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Its pretty easy to stuff the run when you know the opposing teams QB can't hit passes and the O coordinator is dialed in to throwing it deep. I am by no means giving the O Line a pass because the center was and hasn't been good in any game this year. From pathetically low snaps to missing blocks, its bad and disrupting to our QB who also doesn't get a pass. Whoever is making the decision to call these long developing plays (even our run plays are long developing) truly needs to watch our own game film and see how successful those are for us against what was the worst defense we will see for the rest of the year and make some serious changes or we will struggle to make a bowl game. After watching the Boise State game I didn't think anyone could beat us in the conference and after watching Tech kick our tail up and down the field I'm struggling to find wins. Almost a carbon copy of last year with a much less talented QB.
Agreed, but the bold part is what concerns me most. These are professional coaches competing at one of the highest levels of football that exists. Trust me - they're watching a ton of film. And yet they STILL continue to call these long-developing pass/run plays and making zero adjustments for the personnel or defensive schemes. The fact that we know they're watching film and continue to call these plays is the biggest indictment.

It seriously reminds me of a small town Oklahoma high school football offense. Less than 10 plays, the only checks at the line are a jump ball on the outside or a HB sweep right or left from the pistol.

The ONLY way we will have bigtime success with this offense is if we start getting Bama/Wisconsin/Stanford type O-line recruits, running the ball at will, and leaning on the run game all the time. We've already tried the offense where we have an NFL QB take a quick step back and lob it up for grabs and have an NFL receiver on either side of the field out-jump the defender...........and look where that got us........

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
We just have no talent right now in the line as a result of two bad hires by Gundy. I was looking at the our roster and i think we have 1 top 1000 recruit and a couple top 100 JC recruits from our RS freshman class to our senior class. the good news is that Henson already has 8 top 1000 recruits in our freshman class and our 2019 class. some people have been saying they are worried that he isnt a good coach but i think he just doesnt have much to work with. i guess we will know in a few years if he can develop players

For Hill to still get 100 yard games with our current line just shows how good he is
He’s under a metric crap ton of pressure right now with his position group and they are leaking oil all over the place but still I’m a Henson fan! Like his recruiting and I like his straight forward answers. If we can just get to an okay Oline status, we’ve got plenty of weapons to use now to win some games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2008
He’s under a metric crap ton of pressure right now with his position group and they are leaking oil all over the place but still I’m a Henson fan! Like his recruiting and I like his straight forward answers. If we can just get to an okay Oline status, we’ve got plenty of weapons to use now to win some games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think we will struggle this year and maybe a little in 2019. There is a lot of talent in the freshman and redshirt freshman class. We have a lot of young safeties and corners will hopefully be pretty solid. But as always, everything starts at the line. We have really improved our O-line recruiting, now we need to focus on getting good replacements on the D-Line. Not a lot of young talent at linebacker though.

Looking at the recruiting we should be really good on offense by 2020. Lot of talent at wide reciever, lots of good running backs, the o line should be better and hopefully spencer will be ready to lead the team for a few years

Nov 28, 2008
Agreed, but the bold part is what concerns me most. These are professional coaches competing at one of the highest levels of football that exists. Trust me - they're watching a ton of film. And yet they STILL continue to call these long-developing pass/run plays and making zero adjustments for the personnel or defensive schemes. The fact that we know they're watching film and continue to call these plays is the biggest indictment.

It seriously reminds me of a small town Oklahoma high school football offense. Less than 10 plays, the only checks at the line are a jump ball on the outside or a HB sweep right or left from the pistol.

The ONLY way we will have bigtime success with this offense is if we start getting Bama/Wisconsin/Stanford type O-line recruits, running the ball at will, and leaning on the run game all the time. We've already tried the offense where we have an NFL QB take a quick step back and lob it up for grabs and have an NFL receiver on either side of the field out-jump the defender...........and look where that got us........

Birry: With regard to your point: Isn't that what these new "adviser" coaches (or whatever they're called) are supposed to do? I thought so...

Nov 28, 2008
If that is what they're supposed to do they are not doing a very good job, or nobody is listening.
it's a honest question. I thought their role was to look at you from "the outside" and give you tips on how you might be attacked/gamed. They can't coach, right?