Alibaba scraps promise of 1 million jobs in America after latest Trump Tariff on China

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Jack Ma the founder and CEO of Alibaba met with Trump in Jan 2017 and described it as a great meeting and said they had discussed plans to help small farming business in the US sell agricultural products in Asia. Alibaba spox said at the time the plan would generate up to 1 million jobs in the US.

However, today Jack Ma told Chinese media

"The promise was made on the premise of friendly US-China partnership and rational trade relations," "That premise no longer exists today, so our promise cannot be fulfilled."

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...ses-on-promise-to-create-1-million-jobs-in-us

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
He had since January of 2017 to start creation of these jobs. All this time later...NADA. Talk is cheap for a Chinese billionaire.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
He had since January of 2017 to start creation of these jobs. All this time later...NADA. Talk is cheap for a Chinese billionaire.
it was a 5 year plan to create 1 million jobs

In June 2017 Alibaba took the first step toward this and Held Gateway 17 in Detroit Michigan. Alibaba gathered ~1000 companies from small business groups, entrepreneurs and farmers for the conference and spent 2 days to help the US companies work on business solutions that would appeal to Chinese consumers and networking opportunities with Chinese business leaders. Alibaba also introduced their Business to consumer and business to business to consumer online markets to the US companies and provided them with the information and steps to get set up to start selling online in China

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
By the way, do you have anything relevant to the thread topic?
Yes. As I subtly pointed out our president is a lying sack of shit. He has no idea how this works and that is why people don't want to deal with him on these issues.

BTW, I guess you actually think the Chinese are paying tariffs as well?

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
it was a 5 year plan to create 1 million jobs

In June 2017 Alibaba took the first step toward this and Held Gateway 17 in Detroit Michigan. Alibaba gathered ~1000 companies from small business groups, entrepreneurs and farmers for the conference and spent 2 days to help the US companies work on business solutions that would appeal to Chinese consumers and networking opportunities with Chinese business leaders. Alibaba also introduced their Business to consumer and business to business to consumer online markets to the US companies and provided them with the information and steps to get set up to start selling online in China
Well so now small and medium companies won't be able to sell their souls to the devil. Boo hoo.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Well so now small and medium companies won't be able to sell their souls to the devil. Boo hoo.
Yes...who wants small American businesses and American farmers to sell there goods outside of the US borders.

Guess those farmers can just keep on getting that Gubment bail out taxpayer money to the tune of $17 billion the Government gave them last month because of the Tariffs

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Yes. As I subtly pointed out our president is a lying sack of shit. He has no idea how this works and that is why people don't want to deal with him on these issues.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I don't know. I assume you are making the assertion that they are not. Since you are making that assertion it's up to you to show how they are not.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
You are entitled to your opinion.

I don't know. I assume you are making the assertion that they are not. Since you are making that assertion it's up to you to show how they are not.
Just think about it. It is a tariff. A tax paid when something comes into our country. Who do you think pays that tax? I will tell you, the party that purchased the goods. So the party that sold the goods has nothing to do with the tariff. Guess who ultimately pays for that tax? You and I. The American consumer. Any business is going to have to pass on the costs to the customers to maintain their margins. Or at least in most cases.

Jul 20, 2018
Yes...who wants small American businesses and American farmers to sell there goods outside of the US borders.

Guess those farmers can just keep on getting that Gubment bail out taxpayer money to the tune of $17 billion the Government gave them last month because of the Tariffs
Small farmers go through co-ops. They don't sell to China directly.

Jul 20, 2018

If the Chinese government is charging a tariff on U.S. imports, Chinese people are paying the tariff.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
If the Chinese government is charging a tariff on U.S. imports, Chinese people are paying the tariff.
That would be fine and dandy if that is what Trump was actually talking about. He clearly stated the Chinese are paying billions in tariffs. Helping the US economy or federal revenue, or whatever in the hell he was rambling about. Either way, he has no clue how any of it works.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Small farmers go through co-ops. They don't sell to China directly.
They could though Alibaba as it skips the co-ops and goes through Asian based agricultural product suppliers..which gave them access to China, SW Asia, and India. 200 million people in Asia buy Agricultural products every day on Alibaba

For "fresh" farm products Alibaba has a strict 72 hour delivery target from harvest to delivery. They have set up joint venture partnership with UPS which has started 200 flights from the US to 2 ports in China every week.

US Farmers can connect to an Asian based Agricultural supplier, the products are ordered online and the suppliers source them from US farms who harvest and pack and send them directly to UPS who puts them on a plane bound to China to meet the 72 hr goal.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
For the record, I am no fan of the tariffs and subsidizing the U.S. farmer (you never know in this day and age of fake news if that's what we really are doing, I haven't researched it in depth) is the height of hypocrisy President Orange rails against.

I just hate China with their despotism and "citizenship scores" with a passion and would like to see much less of them in our daily lives.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
They could though Alibaba as it skips the co-ops and goes through Asian based agricultural product suppliers..which gave them access to China, SW Asia, and India. 200 million people in Asia buy Agricultural products every day on Alibaba

For "fresh" farm products Alibaba has a strict 72 hour delivery target from harvest to delivery. They have set up joint venture partnership with UPS which has started 200 flights from the US to 2 ports in China every week.

US Farmers can connect to an Asian based Agricultural supplier, the products are ordered online and the suppliers source them from US farms who harvest and pack and send them directly to UPS who puts them on a plane bound to China to meet the 72 hr goal.
So Ma is just making a political and ideological statement, correct?

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I just hate China with their despotism and "citizenship scores" with a passion and would like to see much less of them in our daily lives.
I don't know if I "hate" them, but they are the one country I feel like we should be playing hard ball with as far as trade negotiations. However I just wish it was this clown and his hand picked protectionist puppets doing this. They are absolutely horrible and will ultimately get their asses handed to them by the Chinese or we will end up pulling back into a shell and letting the world do business without us.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So Ma is just making a political and ideological statement, correct?
Who knows....they have the power to start limiting US sourced products via their site I'm sure. At the rate they are going...within the next two years Alibaba is expected to be processing over $1 Trillion per year in products sold

Here is a Cherry Farmer in WA talking about selling direct to China via Alibaba. Said they have 48 hr from off the tree to consumer delivery in China

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
In June 2017...2,200 Cherry farms in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho sold 20,000 tons of cherries directly to China.

After the Jack Ma/Trump meeting in Jan 2017 where it was announced Asians would have more opportunity for fresh US fruit the demand for cherries from the US rose by 22% through Alibaba

This article walks through the process of selling via Alibaba for US farmers.

Start harvest at 4am, pick, clean, pack, chilled and on a UPS flight China by the end of the same day. 12 hrs later the cherries are in Shanghai or Beijing where they are repacked and shipped to consumers for final delivery.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-06/22/content_29833937.htm