Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is what I didn't understand about the whole MMJ discussion/vote. If it's truly for medical purposes, why not approve CBD, either OTC or by prescription? Why is everyone allowed to grow their own?

Not saying I'm 100% against a law allowing you to grow your own, just think the law and the reasoning should be clear.

I haven't partaken in about 35 years, but following my imminent retirement I might try a gummi bear or two.
I guess since it is not legal in all states and federally illegal you can not ship it. Therefore all of the MMJ in the state will need to be planted, grown, harvested, and packaged in state and people who grow it can sell it to dispensaries I suppose. Most dispensary locations in Oklahoma will most likely have to rely on growing their own. Growers, sellers, and patients will all need a license to do so

okstate987

Special Teams Coach
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Denver, CO
No one objects to isolate one or more of the 400 or so compounds found in the plant to study and use for medical treatments. The problem is to use the whole plant, in varying dosage of its many compounds and call it Medical Marijuana. Compounds isolated from plants have been used for many years in medicine.
Pot has become pretty standardized in Colorado and dispensaries test their product and provide percentages of various cannabinoids. There is also the entorage effect where various cannbinoids complement and round out what would be the less pleasant or concerning side effects of marijuana.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Reading the bill, if you have a license for MMJ you can have 6 seedling plants and 6 mature plants legally for your own use. I also read that it takes 80-110 days for a plant to mature I don't know how much MJ you can get off of a plant.

I also read there is a 7% sales tax on MMJ. Is that tax applied to what you grow on your own for your own use if you have a license?

Reading the bill, if you have a license for MMJ you can have 6 seedling plants and 6 mature plants legally for your own use. I also read that it takes 80-110 days for a plant to mature I don't know how much MJ you can get off of a plant.

I also read there is a 7% sales tax on MMJ. Is that tax applied to what you grow on your own for your own use if you have a license?
One plant in the right hands can grow upwards of 15 to 20 feet. Again, with the right hands, some of these plants are capable of producing over a pound of consumable bud. Like most plants, there's one good crop per growing season. So, someone with the right hands only needs one plant to last them an entire year. But that's only one person and if they are smoking. Most long term users gave up smoking a long time ago. Edibles are a different story. A pound will not last 6 months if eaten or reduced to oils.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Reading through the Oklahoma Dept of of Health Emergency Draft from June 26 for the implementation of SQ 788..Here are their recommendations

some interesting things

MMJ license are not valid on Tribal or Federal lands in the state

Only Labs accredited by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Conference, and the International Organization for Standardization or similar accrediting entities approved by the OK Dept of Health can test and determine what is "usable marijuana"

for growers Usable Marijuana must be in a batch of no more than 10lbs that is harvested in a specified time frame from a specified cultivation area and meet specifications for identity, strength, composition and that it is manufactured, packaged and labeled during a specified time period by a single manufacturing, packaging and labeling protocol

Each Batch must be given a unique ID and sent for testing at a Lab before distribution and the ID will be used to track and trace its origins

Dispensary can only sell MJ to qualified patients or caregivers and can not be co-located with any other business entity and can only sell and offer medical MJ and MJ products

Any non-violent felony conviction within the last 2 years or any violent felony conviction in the last 5 years, people on probation for a felony conviction can not apply to be a dispenser, grower, processor or researcher for MMJ

MMJ must be held in a limited access area only accessible to a licensee and its employees and contractors

A mature Plant is defined as a harvestable female MJ plant that is flowering and can not have over 20% THC content and it is illegal to have any mature plants for 60 days after the emergency guidelines go into effect

Any MMJ product that has Cannabinoids extracted from a plant including oils, tinctures, edibles, and patches can not have a THC content higher than 12%

Dispensers, growers, processors, and researchers must undergo an Oklahoma state criminal background check within 30 days of applying for a license

All MMJ applicants must submit to fingerprint collection at a location authorized by the OK Dept of Health

All applicants must provide proof of residency, proof of identity, and a photograph no older than 6 months old in front of a plain white or off white background at eye level

Physicians shall establish a bona fide physician-patient relationship in which the physician has an ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care and treatment of a patient medical condition or aspect of the patient medical condition before prescribing MMJ

Doctors must have had an in person medically reasonable knowledge a the patients medical history and current medical condition within the last 30 days before prescribing MMJ

Doctors must discuss the risks and benefits of the use of MMJ with the patient including talking about MMJ use disorder, including adolescent and young adult users, the risk for exacerbation of psychotic disorders, adverse cognitive affects for children and young adults, the lack of standardization of MMJ preparations, and the increased risk of motor vehicle crashes under the influence of MJ

Doctors are prohibited to prescribe MMJ to women who are pregnant

People applying for a MMJ license who are insured by Medicaid, Medicare or Soonercare can get their license fee reduced.

Minors under 18 can get a license for up to 2 years or until they turn 18 which ever comes first. Minor's are prohibited from consuming, smoking, or inhaling any MMJ via a smokable or vapable means

Temporary MMJ license can be issued for a 30 day period

The OK Dept of Health will make available via internet, and phone a system to authenticate and validate MMJ licenses and any sale or service by a licensed establishment related to MMJ must validate the authenticity of the receivers license for each transaction along with a photo ID

Any dispenser must collect the patients ID card via an electronic verification system and keep a record on each sale including the patients control number, the amount dispensed, the date dispensed, their license number, and a copy of the physicians dosage amounts for MMJ for that person

Any individual who is no longer licensed or no longer eligible for MMJ shall dispose of usable MMJ and products in their possession by surrendering the MMJ to Oklahoma law enforcement agency or rendering it unusable

If anyone passes away and has usable MMJ left over after their passing, their caregiver is required to dispose of the MMJ within 15 days

All smokable, vaporized, vapable, and e-Cig MMJ consumed by a patient is subject to the same restrictions for tobacco and against the law for MMJ to be smoked in the presence of a minor under 18

All MMJ grown at home by a patient can only be grown on property owned or rented by the patitnt with written permission to grow MMJ on the property

All homegrown MMJ plants must not be accessible to the public, if grown outdoors it must behind a fence that is at least 6' tall and the plants must be completely enclosed by the fence and the fence must be secured with a lock and key.

No MMJ plants can be visible from any street or adjacent property

Transporting MMJ between commercial establishments requires that the vehicle be capable of securing MMJ, equipped with an alarm system, free of all markings indicating it is being used to transport MMJ, staffed with a min of 2 employees and 1 employee must be in the vehicle at all times. All MMJ transported must be secured in a locked container and hidden from public view

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
One plant in the right hands can grow upwards of 15 to 20 feet. Again, with the right hands, some of these plants are capable of producing over a pound of consumable bud. Like most plants, there's one good crop per growing season. So, someone with the right hands only needs one plant to last them an entire year. But that's only one person and if they are smoking. Most long term users gave up smoking a long time ago. Edibles are a different story. A pound will not last 6 months if eaten or reduced to oils.
Well can't be taller than 6ft if the proposed rules I just posted come into effect if they are growing it outside. All Homegrown must be surrounded by a locked fence 6ft tall and can not be visible to anyone in the public or from any adjacent lot

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Just because we have a current problem with opioids doesn't make me any happier about another potential problem. I'm not opposed to medical mj, I just understood this to be a poorly written bill.

Honestly I'd be okay with just legalizing it altogether.
You have no issue with people with no medical problem at all having access to MJ. You would have no problem at all if a law was written that prevented people with no medical problem at all from obtaining MJ legally and had strict criteria and only gave it to the few that met the criteria. But, you have an issue with a law for medical marijuana that effectively lets people obtain it recreationally the just have to have some sort of minor medical issue?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So, let me get this straight. You have no issue with people with no medical problem at all having access to MJ. You would have no problem at all if a law was written that prevented people with no medical problem at all from obtaining MJ legally and had strict criteria and only gave it to the few that met the criteria. But, you have an issue with a law for medical marijuana that effectively lets people obtain it recreationally the just have to have some sort of minor medical issue?
They "have" an issue? Or say they have an issue? You believe everyone who says they have a minor medical issue? You can prove their toe doesn't hurt?

I think it's silly and hypocritical to poorly construct a law that requires people to fake an illness to get pot. Either legalize it, construct a law that effectively makes it a medical remedy, or keep it illegal. I don't care a great deal either way. I just don't like laws that are written with the understanding they will likely be abused.

I watched a documentary about medical pot in California a few years ago and it just made a mockery of the whole system. People were openly laughing about their fabricated butt aches as they filled their prescriptions. Why bother?

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
"Have" an issue? Or say they have an issue?

I think it's silly and hypocritical to poorly construct a law that requires people to fake an illness to get pot. Either legalize it, construct a law that effectively makes it a medical remedy, or keep it illegal. I don't care a great deal either way. I just don't like laws that are written with the understanding they will likely be abused.

I watched a documentary about medical pot in California a few years ago and it just made a mockery of the whole system. People were openly laughing about their fabricated butt aches as they filled their prescriptions. Why bother?
Well, for one it is already a mockery with the Federal government calling the substance illegal but choosing not to enforce the federal law instead of changing the federal law.
Second, if it is legalized as a consumer product, the state's ability to restrict it would be more difficult. Look at Colorado where you can walk into a store and walk out with very high potency marijuana. By making it medical, even if the only medical "need" is a butt ache, you are still limited to what the doctor writes for your butt ache. And you have to go through the hassle of seeing a doctor for your butt ache. It isn't a "Hey, it is Friday night, WTH are we going to do?" type thing.
I'm not an advocate for this as a method, but pragmatically I see it as a rationale middle ground of partial legalization even if the method itself is somewhat irrational.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
By making it medical, even if the only medical "need" is a butt ache, you are still limited to what the doctor writes for your butt ache. And you have to go through the hassle of seeing a doctor for your butt ache. It isn't a "Hey, it is Friday night, WTH are we going to do?" type thing.
The clinic they showed in California was exactly as you described. I don't know the differences in the law but people will soon learn which Dr.'s are more helpful than others. The question is, will insurance cover the butt ache pot? I'd rather my rates not be impacted by this silliness.

I don't claim to know, but I suspect this issue has become so emotional and politicized the medical benefits have been greatly exaggerated by those who see this as a stepping stone to what they really want.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The clinic they showed in California was exactly as you described. I don't know the differences in the law but people will soon learn which Dr.'s are more helpful than others. The question is, will insurance cover the butt hurt ache pot? I'd rather my rates not be impacted by this silliness.

I don't claim to know, but I suspect this issue has become so emotional and politicized the medical benefits have been greatly exaggerated by those who see this as a stepping stone to what they really want.
From what Binman wrote about this state law, a doctor is seriously putting his license at risk by doing that. Not saying people won't, but it would be risky.
Insurance rates aren't high because of chump change office visits to get a prescription, whether that Rx is a Z-pac or weed. One cardiac cath on a worried well 50-year-old costs about 200 office visits.

Of course, the benefits are being exaggerated by MJ advocates. And of course this is a stepping stone. But, if we can somehow lower our absurd incarceration rates and make a dent in the violence in Mexico and at the border with a change in law regarding the substance most implicated in those things, then doing it in a stupid, hypocritical manner isn't too big of a deal to me. We certainly done worse.

From what Binman wrote about this state law, a doctor is seriously putting his license at risk by doing that. Not saying people won't, but it would be risky.
Insurance rates aren't high because of chump change office visits to get a prescription, whether that Rx is a Z-pac or weed. One cardiac cath on a worried well 50-year-old costs about 200 office visits.

Of course, the benefits are being exaggerated by MJ advocates. And of course this is a stepping stone. But, if we can somehow lower our absurd incarceration rates and make a dent in the violence in Mexico and at the border with a change in law regarding the substance most implicated in those things, then doing it in a stupid, hypocritical manner isn't too big of a deal to me. We certainly done worse.
It really doesn't make much sense except for those who were scared of it being illegal. There may be some who will use it medically. Those who want it recreationally have been doing so without much resistance for decades now.