a real chance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We do return the nations leading rusher and the best receiving corps. It's going to depend on defense, which is highly improved, and the QB, which remains to be seen. I agree last years wasn't 2010, but we should be majorly improved and one of the favorites along with Texas and OU to win the conference.
Like I said, Sanders has a ways to go before even being 2010 Weeden, let alone the 2011 version. This is not debatable.

Blackmon & Wallace are certainly comparable, pre-ACL, but there are certainly more questions surrounding Wallace this season than there were for Blackmon.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
We had a new OC before 2011 started as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True but monken had some sort of play calling going back to Eastern Michigan. Monken also had more input in offensive meeting rooms than Dunn has had at OSU...Kasey Dunn literally has zero experience and hasn’t as much input in the offense as he should.
Disagree with this. IMO Dunn’s intimate familiarity with the system and the fact that the system is Gundy’s system and largely unchanging makes the transition easier for Dunn than bringing in someone who has experience calling plays but comes come from outside our system.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
We better hope we have a season because this will be our only shot at a conference championship for a while. Chuba has ended Gundys career and the longer we stick with Gundy the further we will fall. Just take a look at the recruits jumping ship already, how are we going to compete when we can’t get any 4 stars and our 3 stars start decommitting?
The biggest draw we had for OSU football and OSU in general is how we are a “family” and how we take care of each other. CH ended that with one tweet now what do we have? Facilities? Uniforms? Most teams have caught up to us or passed us in these categories. This is going to be a long slow death I’m afraid.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We better hope we have a season because this will be our only shot at a conference championship for a while. Chuba has ended Gundys career and the longer we stick with Gundy the further we will fall. Just take a look at the recruits jumping ship already, how are we going to compete when we can’t get any 4 stars and our 3 stars start decommitting?
The biggest draw we had for OSU football and OSU in general is how we are a “family” and how we take care of each other. CH ended that with one tweet now what do we have? Facilities? Uniforms? Most teams have caught up to us or passed us in these categories. This is going to be a long slow death I’m afraid.

I've thought for a couple of years that Gundy would hang it up rather abruptly, & I wouldn't blame him. Now, though, I think the timetable may be accelerated. I could be wrong, but I think he just created his own biggest recruiting hurdle.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Disagree with this. IMO Dunn’s intimate familiarity with the system and the fact that the system is Gundy’s system and largely unchanging makes the transition easier for Dunn than bringing in someone who has experience calling plays but comes come from outside our system.

agree to disagree...one thing to be familiar, another to actually call plays, make adjustment during a game on the fly, and actually develop week to week game plans. Hoping Dunn is successful but is definitely not guaranteed.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Like I said, Sanders has a ways to go before even being 2010 Weeden, let alone the 2011 version. This is not debatable.

Blackmon & Wallace are certainly comparable, pre-ACL, but there are certainly more questions surrounding Wallace this season than there were for Blackmon.
While this is true, I do think his supporting WR cast is better than was Blackmon's. QB is going to be key.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
While I love Wallace, he's no Blackmon. That dude just took over games.

But agree that the other WRs/TE we have on this team are better than what Blackmon had for support (which is why a 80% Blackmon was used vs 0U).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

But agree that the other WRs/TE we have on this team are better than what Blackmon had for support (which is why a 80% Blackmon was used vs 0U).
I feel ya...but...man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4baOKADsA

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You realize 2011 had 4 guys with over 40 catches? Four. Blackmon, Josh Cooper, Tracy Moore, Aniyam & Isaih Anderson were pretty damn salty, & that doesn't account for Randle's 43 catches.
Type of offense was a little different...but Stoner, Wolf, and Woods are all equal or better than Coop, Moore, Aniyam IMHO. This offense has a real chance at being very similar in terms of numbers IF we can get the QB to preform...that's been the deal and a youngish line that is now arriving. My hope is we actually play a season so we can see these guys...and that Gundy/Chubba and Co have fixed the locker-room as well.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Sanders has comparable arm strength to Weeden and superior legs and running ability. He's not nearly as accurate and not as mature as Weeden was but don't discount his running ability adding another dimension to his game that opens up the playbook a lot more. Weeden IMO is the best QB OSU ever had and it will take a huge talent to take his top spot away, but Sanders has some swagger to him and I'm not going to judge him on basically half a season. And I want to see the freshmen QB in 4 games this season so we can have another QB controversy.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
While this is true, I do think his supporting WR cast is better than was Blackmon's. QB is going to be key.
You realize 2011 had 4 guys with over 40 catches? Four. Blackmon, Josh Cooper, Tracy Moore, Aniyam & Isaih Anderson were pretty damn salty, & that doesn't account for Randle's 43 catches.
Yeah but the question is about pre 2011. If we’re projecting forward, Stoner caught 50 balls last year and I think he’s going to be the #3 receiver. That’s pretty impressive for a supporting cast, immensely more so when you put it into context that we’re going to be a heavy heavy run first offense.

Honestly, the totally beautiful thing about our offense for next year is how it fits together as archetypes of players. They’re just perfect for stressing every part of the field.

I also think ppl aren’t giving enough credit to how stress Spencer’s legs are going to put on defenses. Having to account for a running QB just opens so many holes in the run game, defenses are really going to have to commit extra guys... then when then do we hit Braydon over the top... next the defense move the safeties high while keeping 6 in the box and all of a sudden Tylan is 1 on 1 in the intermediate part of the field... our offense is potentially a never ending wheel of torture.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I feel ya...but...man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4baOKADsA

I agree that Blackmon was something from a different planet...

But Tylan should of won the Biletnikoff as a sophomore. We’re talking about another first round pick here.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
The big advantage this team has on the preseason 09, 11, and 17 teams is defense and offensive line. While the 11 team managed to scrap up a team that led the county in turnovers and that was part of the reason that team was as good as it was, none of those other teams had a defense be the superior unit in the preceding season and then return 10 of 11 starters. That’s huge for this year’s team.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I agree that Blackmon was something from a different planet...

But Tylan should of won the Biletnikoff as a sophomore. We’re talking about another first round pick here.

I don't think he'll be 1st round but he is 1st round material. Someone will get a steal.