a real chance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
My expectation that there will actually be a football season this fall in college has gone from about a 75% belief that there will be football to about a 25% belief and dropping daily. The entire Ivy league has already dropped football for the fall, cases are spiking big-time and continuing to go up and I’m just having a really bad feeling that our most loaded team in school history may not even see the field.....I can’t see any way it gets played in front of a stadium full of fans by any means.....man, I hope I’m wrong!
Seriously?
I mean it’s clearly in the top 3. Got a pretty good case for 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I mean it’s clearly in the top 3. Got a pretty good case for 1.

Has the potential to be, sure.

Weeden was a better QB heading into '11, there's not an argument there.

Is Hubbard better than the combo of Randle & Smith? Certainly, but those guys put up 1900 yards in '11.

Blackmon, coming off a Biletnikoff & not a torn ACL clearly has an edge over Wallace coming back from injury.

Hope they prove me wrong, but it's way premature to label this year's team "our most loaded in history."

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
My expectation that there will actually be a football season this fall in college has gone from about a 75% belief that there will be football to about a 25% belief and dropping daily. The entire Ivy league has already dropped football for the fall, cases are spiking big-time and continuing to go up and I’m just having a really bad feeling that our most loaded team in school history may not even see the field.....I can’t see any way it gets played in front of a stadium full of fans by any means.....man, I hope I’m wrong!
Okay by me. Easier access to the concessions and head. Might make for a strange "wave", but sacrifices must be made.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I said this in late June..."Baseball season starts in late July...Basketball is playing a tournament soon...golf already going...I assume we will have a season. We just need to figure out how to stinking wear mask in public places...it's not rocket surgery"
IMHO the only reason the season is in any form of jeopardy is that some in the sunbelt think it is rocket surgery to wear mask...honestly, what is the point of not wanting to wear one? Other than those with breathing problems are you having trouble finding one that fits...what's the deal? Do this and numbers go down and we get to have a freaking season...don't and we continue down this depressing road (at least it seems that way). Can you not just wear a mask when in contact with others, at restaurants prior to ordering and while eating, when you go to the store including the hardware store? Guys this isn't an affront to your freedom...you are limiting the ability of other freedom lovers to see football...and that's inexcusable. You don't have to wear it in the wilderness or on a hike or anywhere you are further than 8 to 10 feet from others...why not do this one thing??? This is how we get a real season...do your job!

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Has the potential to be, sure.

Weeden was a better QB heading into '11, there's not an argument there.

Is Hubbard better than the combo of Randle & Smith? Certainly, but those guys put up 1900 yards in '11.

Blackmon, coming off a Biletnikoff & not a torn ACL clearly has an edge over Wallace coming back from injury.

Hope they prove me wrong, but it's way premature to label this year's team "our most loaded in history."
You could make the argument that from an experience and talent standpoint they may be when you take into account the huge improvements in defense over the past year. Those guys are given less credit but they are clearly and substantially better than past teams in this current era anyway. Remains to be seen, but if we have a real season I like our chances to have a very very good one.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
2011 team>>this year's team, and honestly it's not close and that's not a knock on this season's team.
You are comparing a finished product (2011) with projected potential with the 2020 team. I would say that the expectations, projected potential and returning experience make the outlook for this year's team equal to or greater than the pre-season outlook for the 2011 team before they played a game. The 2011 team delivered with the exception of one weird game. Whether the 2020 team does at that level is yet to be seen....there are other intangibles as well like OU and the Big 12 in general being significantly better in 2020 than in 2011. OU was average, Texas sucked and the big hurdle that year was Baylor. This year's team could end up being be a better team but still have a worse record......

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
Well we just lost Oregon State game and I wouldn't be shocked if we lose all our pre-conf games so that 10 game "floor" is out. If this season does happen it's going to be very abbreviated and with many P5 teams not even participating. Anything we win (if we are able to win) will be considered with an asterisk. People who think the stands will be full are living in a dream world. I'm just hoping we have SOME games. This all sucks.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You are comparing a finished product (2011) with projected potential with the 2020 team. I would say that the expectations, projected potential and returning experience make the outlook for this year's team equal to or greater than the pre-season outlook for the 2011 team before they played a game. The 2011 team delivered with the exception of one weird game. Whether the 2020 team does at that level is yet to be seen....there are other intangibles as well like OU and the Big 12 in general being significantly better in 2020 than in 2011. OU was average, Texas sucked and the big hurdle that year was Baylor. This year's team could end up being be a better team but still have a worse record......
Or they could be a better team with a better record? Who knows.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
you assumed I was talking about a finished product...I’m talking about going into the season...and it’s still 2011 IMO. The expectations are about equal but 2011 had more answers than questions and that’s what this team has. No knock on this team. Still have Huge questions at QB, a huge drop off after Chuba at RB, and questions on the OL that has yet to show they can Play at a high level consistently

Defensively, it’s pretty equal...2011 had experience at the DE spots while this team is has the DT experience. LBs experience is a wash as both are going into their 2nd year as starters secondary is a wash in experience...Markell Martin and daytwoine Lowe at safety while 2020 has peel and sterling. CB experience Special teams...not even close. 2011 had Quinn Sharp going into the season, this team has no place kicker....Punter Tom Hutton, for a lot of hype, wasn’t impressive IMO and we’re breaking in a new kicker. KR and PR had Gilbert and cooper and this team doesn’t have much as it’s been a revolving door.

On paper going into the season...give me 2011 over 2020. We have big questions on offense and special teams going into 2020.

Last edited:

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I would like to remind you again that there is a place to talk sport and place to talk non sports and they are not the same place .

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
2011 team>>this year's team, and honestly it's not close and that's not a knock on this season's team.
You make some very valid points, especially special teams. I do think the two teams are close in potential though with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this team could potentially be as good or better if things fell correctly but I don’t think there’s even going to be a season this year so it’s likely a moot point and a forever “what if” discussion....

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You make some very valid points, especially special teams. I do think the two teams are close in potential though with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say this team could potentially be as good or better if things fell correctly but I don’t think there’s even going to be a season this year so it’s likely a moot point and a forever “what if” discussion....

It seems like you're forgetting how good the 2010 team actually was. Theres no way in the world this year's outlook is equal to or greater.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Agree to disagree....just don't see very close IMO. A lot needs to fall correctly, and I mean a lot IMO. When you have serious questions on 2 out of 3 phases of the game (offense and special teams)..it's a cause to pause. Again, no knock on this upcoming team, but there's simply a lot of questions that need to be answered. Also, we're breaking in a new OC and I as much as I love Dunn, he's simply an unknown at this juncture.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Agree to disagree....just don't see very close IMO. A lot needs to fall correctly, and I mean a lot IMO. When you have serious questions on 2 out of 3 phases of the game (offense and special teams)..it's a cause to pause. Again, no knock on this upcoming team, but there's simply a lot of questions that need to be answered. Also, we're breaking in a new OC and I as much as I love Dunn, he's simply an unknown at this juncture.
We had a new OC before 2011 started as well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It seems like you're forgetting how good the 2010 team actually was. Theres no way in the world this year's outlook is equal to or greater.
We do return the nations leading rusher and the best receiving corps. It's going to depend on defense, which is highly improved, and the QB, which remains to be seen. I agree last years wasn't 2010, but we should be majorly improved and one of the favorites along with Texas and OU to win the conference.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
We had a new OC before 2011 started as well.

True but monken had some sort of play calling going back to Eastern Michigan. Monken also had more input in offensive meeting rooms than Dunn has had at OSU...Kasey Dunn literally has zero experience and hasn’t as much input in the offense as he should.

Last edited: