a real chance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We must have one of the best teams returning in college football. How else could you explain all the crap going on in the world today?

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
We must have one of the best teams returning in college football. How else could you explain all the crap going on in the world today?
Squinky has had to resort to really lowdown tactics now.

Jun 12, 2007
For it to be our best year in history, there are two hurdles. One is the 1945 National Championship Team and the 2011 Fiesta Bowl team. To be better than the Fiesta Bowl team, this team would have to make the College Football Playoff. The 1945 can't be bettered as they won every game. I don't see us winning every game and I don't see us getting to the College Football Playoff. I'm putting the ceiling as the Sugar Bowl but would love to be proved wrong. Sanders just isn't as good as passer as Weeden and there is always one game per year Gundy is MIA. Getting to the Sugar is still a great accomplishment.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
For it to be our best year in history, there are two hurdles. One is the 1945 National Championship Team and the 2011 Fiesta Bowl team. To be better than the Fiesta Bowl team, this team would have to make the College Football Playoff. The 1945 can't be bettered as they won every game. I don't see us winning every game and I don't see us getting to the College Football Playoff. I'm putting the ceiling as the Sugar Bowl but would love to be proved wrong. Sanders just isn't as good as passer as Weeden and there is always one game per year Gundy is MIA. Getting to the Sugar is still a great accomplishment.
Pretty much how I feel.....I would love to be proven wrong.

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
This has 2017 written all over this (and I hope I’m wrong). Can’t let the players get big headed. Stop with the cutesy kicker for heisman trophy . Just get in there and execute. Can’t let teams hang around.

What was so great about the 2011 team was the they put their foot on the opponents throats, never really let teams hang around (aside from Iowa State and a VERY good KSU team). I hate to bring up Nick Saban but the boys need to develop that “rat poison” mentality.

Last but not least. Do not choke against the gooners. I don’t care what anyone says but these last few bedlam’s have not been on Gundy, they’ve been on the players. See below.

Luckily we play OU in October so we can get this hurdle out of the way.

2019: no chance of winning without starting QB.

2018: Corndog played great. Two point conversion was the right move, right play, open receiver...Corndog choked.

2017: Mason Rudolph. That’s it.

2016: Gundy.

2015: Rudolph was hurt, J.W just didn’t have it in him.

2014: Stoops handed us the game.

2013: Hard to say actually. I think it was a well executed game. Dare I say, goner magic kicked in. I still think it was an interception.

....you get the point.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
2013- yeah that was definitely Gundy's fault. One coached played to win while another coach played not to lose. Stoops pulled out every fake possible b/c he knew his team was outmanned. Offensive game plan was suspect as we should've ran the ball much more than trying to establish the pass. They had a tough time stoping the run against us from start to finish. It wasn't a interception...had Gilbert been healthy, he pulls that in but he was dealing from AC sprain from the 2nd INT he pulled in from the Texas game.

Out of all the coaches we have on campus....Gundy is "BY FAR" the only one who doesn't embrace Bedlam. He's said it himself, it's just "another game". Each other coach treats Bedlam as the most important game/series of the season. Maybe if Gundy would treat the game with more of a sense of urgency, he'd would've had more than 2 wins against OU...After all, the path to the big XII has gone through them the last decade and more. He really gets credit for 1 win IMO as Bob Stoops decided to hand him a mulligan in 2014 otherwise we finish 5-7.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
This has 2017 written all over this (and I hope I’m wrong). Can’t let the players get big headed. Stop with the cutesy kicker for heisman trophy . Just get in there and execute. Can’t let teams hang around.

What was so great about the 2011 team was the they put their foot on the opponents throats, never really let teams hang around (aside from Iowa State and a VERY good KSU team). I hate to bring up Nick Saban but the boys need to develop that “rat poison” mentality.

Last but not least. Do not choke against the gooners. I don’t care what anyone says but these last few bedlam’s have not been on Gundy, they’ve been on the players. See below.

Luckily we play OU in October so we can get this hurdle out of the way.

2019: no chance of winning without starting QB.

2018: Corndog played great. Two point conversion was the right move, right play, open receiver...Corndog choked.

2017: Mason Rudolph. That’s it.

2016: Gundy.

2015: Rudolph was hurt, J.W just didn’t have it in him.

2014: Stoops handed us the game.

2013: Hard to say actually. I think it was a well executed game. Dare I say, goner magic kicked in. I still think it was an interception.

....you get the point.
Like your post but I blame Gundy every time. Every time. He knows how important that game is. There should be a separate play book developed by decades of losses, just for this game. There should be virgin sacrifices. Literal kitchen sinks thrown on the field by Gundy. Special teams punts and extra point kicks should have at least 19 different plays ready. Until then...

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
2013- yeah that was definitely Gundy's fault. One coached played to win while another coach played not to lose. Stoops pulled out every fake possible b/c he knew his team was outmanned. Offensive game plan was suspect as we should've ran the ball much more than trying to establish the pass. They had a tough time stoping the run against us from start to finish. It wasn't a interception...had Gilbert been healthy, he pulls that in but he was dealing from AC sprain from the 2nd INT he pulled in from the Texas game.

Out of all the coaches we have on campus....Gundy is "BY FAR" the only one who doesn't embrace Bedlam. He's said it himself, it's just "another game". Each other coach treats Bedlam as the most important game/series of the season. Maybe if Gundy would treat the game with more of a sense of urgency, he'd would've had more than 2 wins against OU...After all, the path to the big XII has gone through them the last decade and more. He really gets credit for 1 win IMO as Bob Stoops decided to hand him a mulligan in 2014 otherwise we finish 5-7.
No one buys that load. If it was just another game he would have a better record because look at how well he's done against everyone else. He simply doesn't want people to think it matters so when he loses every year it's easier to cover his bitter disappointment. The fact is, the game is actually too big for him.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Like your post but I blame Gundy every time. Every time. He knows how important that game is. There should be a separate play book developed by decades of losses, just for this game. There should be virgin sacrifices. Literal kitchen sinks thrown on the field by Gundy. Special teams punts and extra point kicks should have at least 19 different plays ready. Until then...
I know this is getting off track, but there’s not much to talk about. This made me think about the OSU fans who say they would rather Bedlam be our only win than it be our only loss. I’m not saying you’re proposing that, it just triggered that thought.

I hate that mentality, but I would potentially give up two other games in order to beat OU. For example, I might prefer only losing to Texas and Baylor over beating both teams but losing to OU. But since that would likely mean we don’t win the conference or receive a BCS berth... that mentality doesn’t make sense either.

Taking this ridiculous mental exercise one step further in the name of boredom and lack of professional sports activity... would I even prefer to lose to ONE team other than OU? They are the most likely to be ranked highest. They get the benefit of the doubt from polls and analysts. If they are our only loss, we probably get more credit than we did in 2011 by losing to Iowa State. But if they’re highly ranked, they’re probably #1 or #2 in the conference and we would have to play them again in the conference championship.

OK. Nevermind. This was stupid. Just beat everyone and remove all doubt.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I know this is getting off track, but there’s not much to talk about. This made me think about the OSU fans who say they would rather Bedlam be our only win than it be our only loss. I’m not saying you’re proposing that, it just triggered that thought.

I hate that mentality, but I would potentially give up two other games in order to beat OU. For example, I might prefer only losing to Texas and Baylor over beating both teams but losing to OU. But since that would likely mean we don’t win the conference or receive a BCS berth... that mentality doesn’t make sense either.

Taking this ridiculous mental exercise one step further in the name of boredom and lack of professional sports activity... would I even prefer to lose to ONE team other than OU? They are the most likely to be ranked highest. They get the benefit of the doubt from polls and analysts. If they are our only loss, we probably get more credit than we did in 2011 by losing to Iowa State. But if they’re highly ranked, they’re probably #1 or #2 in the conference and we would have to play them again in the conference championship.

OK. Nevermind. This was stupid. Just beat everyone and remove all doubt.
You did an entire thread in one comment. You’re doing very well.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
My expectation that there will actually be a football season this fall in college has gone from about a 75% belief that there will be football to about a 25% belief and dropping daily. The entire Ivy league has already dropped football for the fall, cases are spiking big-time and continuing to go up and I’m just having a really bad feeling that our most loaded team in school history may not even see the field.....I can’t see any way it gets played in front of a stadium full of fans by any means.....man, I hope I’m wrong!

WAKAJUJA

Greenhorn
Oct 28, 2019
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Does no one else think the refereeing has nothing to do with the outcome of the Bedlam game? The holding call discrepancies are enough to make you think at least a bit. I may be in the minority but the bedlam series would be a lot closer if the officiating was more honest.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Does no one else think the refereeing has nothing to do with the outcome of the Bedlam game? The holding call discrepancies are enough to make you think at least a bit. I may be in the minority but the bedlam series would be a lot closer if the officiating was more honest.
And how many of these have we seen?
https://twitter.com/adamlunt817/status/1279450242707005440?s=21

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
My expectation that there will actually be a football season this fall in college has gone from about a 75% belief that there will be football to about a 25% belief and dropping daily. The entire Ivy league has already dropped football for the fall, cases are spiking big-time and continuing to go up and I’m just having a really bad feeling that our most loaded team in school history may not even see the field.....I can’t see any way it gets played in front of a stadium full of fans by any means.....man, I hope I’m wrong!
Seriously?