A lot of negativity on this board for a team that's in first place of the Big 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 19, 2006
Good points. Over that same timeframe, how many times did we beat OU?? We got close a lot of times but kept finding ways to come up short.

Until we're able to win our share of the Bedlam games, we're not going to compete for championships. We'll jockey with TCU, Baylor, Iowa State and K-State in the middle of the pack. OU owns this conference until we knock them off that pedestal.

Here's hoping 2020 is the year we break through.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Huh? He inherited a program coming off an Alamo & Cotton Bowl.

Yes, Gundy has struggled mightily in Bedlam-there's no arguing that. If you want to bring 'gifts' into the conversation, though, you might want to acknowledge those on both sides because Lord knows OU's gotten plenty of them during Gundy's tenure. No better example than the 2013 Bedlam game for a Big 12 title.
Wasn't the Houston Bowl and Alamo ? I don't think Less took us to the Cotton Bowl.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
*sigh*

People can be critical of a coaching philosophy, approach, or decision while at the same time acknowledging that they are not currently equipped to perform the duties of a P5 head football coach. It's no different when people criticize an athlete, a politician, or anyone else for their decisions, particularly when those decisions lead to failure while at the same time realizing that they aren't equipped to do those jobs.

I get it. You probably sat through the 0-10-1 season. You're cool with 8 wins and a random bowl, and having zero chance for improvement. And you don't like when people have the audacity to suggest that we could do better than that.
You've been around long enough to know that every message board has their "lol, I'll let the coaches coach" guy, whose sole mission is apparently to inhabit a message board & tell people that they are not actual coaches.

To be clear, discussion boards for fans of a particular team are not a place for observations or critisms or questions from people that are not coaches. Get it?
IMO, many fans like to critique the HC without the necessary wherewithal and information to make an informed proclamation about what the HC should do differently. It’s often just laughable. And oh, BTW, if you want to put forth a public critique of the HC, you might expect your critique to be critiqued.

Knowing what you don’t know is perhaps one of the most valuable commodities in life. Unfortunately, it’s in very short supply on message boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
Coach Gundy has become more conservative over the years in many way. He’s more conservative in the offensive system he runs, the coaches he hires, and the players he recruits. This has allowed him to have consistent success, but that success has come at the price of a lower ceiling.

This approach will allow you to beat most lesser opponents and your fair share of similar opponents, but you’ll rarely beat a better opponent playing conservatively. That’s why we’re 2-13 against OU.

Coach Gundy has actually been more agressive in the bedlam games over the past few years. Win or lose, hopefully we’ll leave Norman with no bullets left in the chamber. I can handle a loss to a better team, but only if we leave it all out on the field.
There are several reasons why OSU (not Mike Gundy) doesn't beat OU. One of the biggest reasons is that the game is typically played near the end of the season.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
IMO, many fans like to critique the HC without the necessary wherewithal and information to make an informed proclamation about what the HC should do differently. It’s often just laughable. And oh, BTW, if you want to put forth a public critique of the HC, you might expect your critique to be critiqued.

Knowing what you don’t know is perhaps one of the most valuable commodities in life. Unfortunately, it’s in very short supply on message boards.

Yeah, I've critiqued Birry's critique plenty of times.

When the critique of a critique consists of nothing but 'you're not a coach', it's the same low-hanging fruit of message boards that gives us 'fire the coach!' posts.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Yeah, I've critiqued Birry's critique plenty of times.

When the critique of a critique consists of nothing but 'you're not a coach', it's the same low-hanging fruit of message boards that gives us 'fire the coach!' posts.
If the fruit is plentiful and low hanging, why go higher?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
We are in an era of OSU football where a Texas Bowl is a let down. Every week, we go out with the expectation that if we play like we are capable of playing, we should win.

I will take that "reality" over what truly is our reality over the history of the program. You can say what you will about HCMG's tenure but it does not negate the fact that it is by far the most successful in OSU history. Not long ago, making any bowl was an achievement.

So I get it we used to suck but now we shouldn't and its okay for fans to want more... it is.

But again, perspective...

Over the last decade, Oklahoma State, is 12th nationally in wins. Winning more than teams like USC, Michigan, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, aTm... That is our other reality....
This is very well stated and something we should be very proud of as a program, maybe the question is what have we done to build on this? Have we hit our celling or is there more that we can build on? Why do all the schools listed pull in exponentially more highly rated recruits while we have become very content developing talent. That is the difference between us and the blue bloods, and why we are razor thin and so prone to injuries effecting us more than other teams.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
We are in an era of OSU football where a Texas Bowl is a let down. Every week, we go out with the expectation that if we play like we are capable of playing, we should win.

I will take that "reality" over what truly is our reality over the history of the program. You can say what you will about HCMG's tenure but it does not negate the fact that it is by far the most successful in OSU history. Not long ago, making any bowl was an achievement.

So I get it we used to suck but now we shouldn't and its okay for fans to want more... it is.

But again, perspective...

Over the last decade, Oklahoma State, is 12th nationally in wins. Winning more than teams like USC, Michigan, Florida, Auburn, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, aTm... That is our other reality....
If you asked your average OSU fan how we would rank in wins over the last 12 years most would guess about 3rd in the conference, your typical sports animal listener, OU fan, in the OKC area would put us more like 4th or 5th. Even many of our own fans wouldn't know we are 2nd.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
One of the biggest myths on here is that Gundy coaches more conservative or "scared" against OU. I would argue just the opposite. He coaches the same, as if it is just another game. We hear him say that often.

The fact is it's not just another game, not just because of the rivalry but because OU is usually our best opponent. His conservative approach wins a lot of games, but against OU we can't just stay in our lane and play the percentages, we have to take a few more chances.

His problem isn't that he suddenly coaches differently in Bedlam, his problem is that he coaches the same against a better opponent.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
One of the biggest myths on here is that Gundy coaches more conservative or "scared" against OU. I would argue just the opposite. He coaches the same, as if it is just another game. We hear him say that often.

The fact is it's not just another game, not just because of the rivalry but because OU is usually our best opponent. His conservative approach wins a lot of games, but against OU we can't just stay in our lane and play the percentages, we have to take a few more chances.

His problem isn't that he suddenly coaches differently in Bedlam, his problem is that he coaches the same against a better opponent.
Great post! And it's not just uo; it's any elite opponent. His core philosophy fails against elite teams before we even step on the field.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I would recommend everyone with opinions on how Gundy coaches watch the Our Time series. Thus far, it’s an excellent inside look at our program and gives me more to be proud of outside of football games.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I would recommend everyone with opinions on how Gundy coaches watch the Our Time series. Thus far, it’s an excellent inside look at our program and gives me more to be proud of outside of football games.
It's definitely been good from what I've seen. It gives me more pride in how our program is run for sure, but also exposes just how simple and conservative our game plans are on offense, and why we've struggled since Monken left.

Sep 12, 2008
The reason we lose to OU 9/10 times is because they are simply the better team. It is not rocket science. They have better athletes, better offensive lines and for the most part better coaches. They are the 5 time defending Big 12 champs for a reason.

Also, they expect to win. Every time they walk on the field with us they believe they are going to win and history backs them up. Its the same with our wrestling team, they just know they are going to kick the sooners ass.

The ones that hurt are the ones when occasionally we have the better team and can't pull it off. 1988 comes to mind.

I do think we should play them earlier in the season.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The reason we lose to OU 9/10 times is because they are simply the better team. It is not rocket science. They have better athletes, better offensive lines and for the most part better coaches. They are the 5 time defending Big 12 champs for a reason.

Also, they expect to win. Every time they walk on the field with us they believe they are going to win and history backs them up. Its the same with our wrestling team, they just know they are going to kick the sooners ass.

The ones that hurt are the ones when occasionally we have the better team and can't pull it off. 1988 comes to mind.

I do think we should play them earlier in the season.
This is an underrated area where we've trailed them severely for way too long. I've lost track of the number of OU Olinemen in the NFL. It cannot be overstated how big a part of their success this has been, even as their defensive players in the NFL have dwindled.

I've seen the play them earlier in the season thought thrown out by a few. I could be wrong, but we've played them earlier plenty of times & it hasn't made any appreciable difference in the outcome.

Sep 12, 2008
This is an underrated area where we've trailed them severely for way too long. I've lost track of the number of OU Olinemen in the NFL. It cannot be overstated how big a part of their success this has been, even as their defensive players in the NFL have dwindled.

I've seen the play them earlier in the season thought thrown out by a few. I could be wrong, but we've played them earlier plenty of times & it hasn't made any appreciable difference in the outcome.
Look at the offensive line for 2011, which I still think was the best team in the country that year. They were awesome.. absolutely beasts. That's what you need to win against the OU's of the world. This absolutely kills us year after year.