8% Chance for CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Will not be surprised if the "EYE TEST" comes into play regarding the CFP

Especially with ESPN
Of course they use they eye test, the criteria is the 4 best teams. Not conference champs, not highest ranked, not best record, just 4 best teams and picked by the committee.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
How was the crowd? Are they allowing more of the band now? How about fan numbers and is it "flowing" well in terms of social distancing and such?
I wasn’t going to go mainly because I don’t have tickets this year. The way this thread was going, it seemed the game was not sold as a win. I had to guarantee the win. Only way to that is to make the trip and be there.

Crowd was phenomenal. I don’t say that without meaning it. Everyone there, wanted to be there. Good knowledgeable crowd too. Let the refs have it and didn’t let up. I could go as far as to say that the crowd may have been responsible for more than one ISU penalty. In the horseshoe of course, where the noise is the loudest. Two false starts and a late flag thrown seemed due to crowd pressure. Can’t say enough on the crowd savvy. The noise, during 3rd and 4th qtr, there were several instances I couldn’t believe we made that much noise. Wasn’t deafening but impressive for crowd size. Maybe there was electronic help but I couldn’t pin point if it was. Now during the time between ISU snaps, the Jumbotron was relentless. They piped in all kinds of noise and once our band played through our own snap. The band was just 20-25% there but loud and made their presence known. As far as distancing goes, pokes are doing a good job. The major sad part of it all is the loss of all of you. The town is dying. There’s no atmosphere outside. At all.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That is not what i said.
Sorry, I thought you did...You said "Of course they use they eye test, the criteria is the 4 best teams. Not conference champs, not highest ranked, not best record, just 4 best teams and picked by the committee."
That's exactly what I say when I want to be extremely sarcastic about the "selection process." I thought you were being sarcastic as it is a crappy "system" that means nothing but dollar signs and CLAIM that it's a method to pick the 4 "best" teams when they are obviously looking for the four best BLUE BLOOD teams that will make them the most money. IMHO it is going to be glaring this year in it's inadequacy. Teams should ALWAYS be picked based on merit...not talent...It's not the Miss America pageant, but they treat it like one.

Maybe we can agree at least that it needs to be 8 teams asap? Those 8 teams need to be the five major conference champions, and then 3 wild cards from EVERYONE else. Then you get the teams based on merit and the teams based on the stupid "eye test," if they don't win their conference championship.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Now I’m 2 for 2 at home games for a season I didn’t pull the trigger on. My ticket source says we must keep repeating what we’ve done including me finding a way to Stillwater next week for Texas. I’m old. This is a young persons adventure. I’ve already flown in once and the other was a drive that just kills me. No idea how I’m getting there, heck I’m still in Okc now.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sorry, I thought you did...You said "Of course they use they eye test, the criteria is the 4 best teams. Not conference champs, not highest ranked, not best record, just 4 best teams and picked by the committee."
That's exactly what I say when I want to be extremely sarcastic about the "selection process." I thought you were being sarcastic as it is a crappy "system" that means nothing but dollar signs and CLAIM that it's a method to pick the 4 "best" teams when they are obviously looking for the four best BLUE BLOOD teams that will make them the most money. IMHO it is going to be glaring this year in it's inadequacy. Teams should ALWAYS be picked based on merit...not talent.

Maybe we can agree at least that it needs to be 8 teams asap?
We should invite Condoleezza Rice to be our marshal for home coming, commencement speaking and whatever else we can to grease the wheels of justice...so to speak.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Of course they use they eye test, the criteria is the 4 best teams. Not conference champs, not highest ranked, not best record, just 4 best teams and picked by the committee.
Eye test implies biases and opinions. How do you determine "best teams" if not for best record and conference champs?

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Does anyone remember the BCS; it is why we created the current playoff and agreed to the eye test as a part of admission to the chance to be picked.

Nov 6, 2010
The only positive press that OSU is going to get on ESPN this season is going to be related to their series on their crappy pay (even more) channel. They're going to hype up whatever playoff scenario maximizes their ratings share, and unfortunately OSU doesn't have the demographics to move the needle much for them (which makes me wonder why they're filming the series in the first place).

Although, I'm sure some of the doubt from the talking heads is also due to the fact that every time OSU has looked like a contender and gotten some hype we've turned around an lost (usually to OU).
Don't discount the underdog factor in ratings. It's why everyone loves March Madness.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How was the crowd? Are they allowing more of the band now? How about fan numbers and is it "flowing" well in terms of social distancing and such?
I wasn’t going to go mainly because I don’t have tickets this year. The way this thread was going, it seemed the game was not sold as a win. I had to guarantee the win. Only way to that is to make the trip and be there.

Crowd was phenomenal. I don’t say that without meaning it. Everyone there, wanted to be there. Good knowledgeable crowd too. Let the refs have it and didn’t let up. I could go as far as to say that the crowd may have been responsible for more than one ISU penalty. In the horseshoe of course, where the noise is the loudest. Two false starts and a late flag thrown seemed due to crowd pressure. Can’t say enough on the crowd savvy. The noise, during 3rd and 4th qtr, there were several instances I couldn’t believe we made that much noise. Wasn’t deafening but impressive for crowd size. Maybe there was electronic help but I couldn’t pin point if it was. Now during the time between ISU snaps, the Jumbotron was relentless. They piped in all kinds of noise and once our band played through our own snap. The band was just 20-25% there but loud and made their presence known. As far as distancing goes, pokes are doing a good job. The major sad part of it all is the loss of all of you. The town is dying. There’s no atmosphere outside. At all.
I have verified with several sources that there is no electronic help to the crowd noise. No piped in crowd. Yes extremely loud and extremely knowledgeable on the crap that the refs were pulling. Don't forget to use stadium drop for the ultimate in social distancing so that your food can be delivered directly to you at your seat. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone remember the BCS; it is why we created the current playoff and agreed to the eye test as a part of admission to the chance to be picked.
Same opinion based system, but worse, since they only took 2 team instead of 4.

Please, tell us how you objectively determine "best teams" when almost none of them play each other? Is a second place team in the SEC more 'best team' than a 5-0 Oregon? How could you possibly know that? (You can't.) The word 'Best" isn't an objective metric. Its a word used by talking heads as an excuse to leave out teams with smaller fan bases.

Conference champs is the only objective way to select teams for a post game tournament. This is why conference champs are used to establish the playoffs in every other major sport.

snuffy

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Same opinion based system, but worse, since they only took 2 team instead of 4.

Please, tell us how you objectively determine "best teams" when almost none of them play each other? Is a second place team in the SEC more 'best team' than a 5-0 Oregon? How could you possibly know that? (You can't.) The word 'Best" isn't an objective metric. Its a word used by talking heads as an excuse to leave out teams with smaller fan bases.

Conference champs is the only objective way to select teams for a post game tournament. This is why conference champs are used to establish the playoffs in every other major sport.
“The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games (the game rotated among four existing bowl games from the 1998 to 2005 season, and was a separate game from the 2006 to 2013 seasons). The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) was contractually bound to vote the winner of this game as the BCS National Champion and the contract signed by each conference required them to recognize the winner of the BCS National Championship game as the official and only champion. The BCS was created to end split championships and for the champion to win the title on the field between the two teams selected by the BCS”

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
“The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games (the game rotated among four existing bowl games from the 1998 to 2005 season, and was a separate game from the 2006 to 2013 seasons). The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) was contractually bound to vote the winner of this game as the BCS National Champion and the contract signed by each conference required them to recognize the winner of the BCS National Championship game as the official and only champion. The BCS was created to end split championships and for the champion to win the title on the field between the two teams selected by the BCS”
I'd be MUCH happier with the current set up if they would get rid of the committee and determine all four teams like they did the BCS. The problem with the BCS was that it had too few teams and they (Blue blood biased human polls) were STILL able to bias it. 2011 being the best example of that trash. The ONLY reason the current system is slightly better is because it adds two more teams...the MAJOR issue with it is that at least one of the five major conference champs is left out every year. If we just made it 8 AND require them to put each of the five major conference championship teams in (I don't care if the conference champ only has 7 wins...they are still their conference champ). Then add 3 more teams...this fixes the problem and the process and it also enables teams like Oklahoma State to make it even with a loss or two if they win their conference. IMHO this is the most fair and equitable way to do it AND also will create the largest audience.