4th Down Call

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
With our luck today, they would've blocked the punt or it would've ended up in the endzone. I like the aggressiveness to go for it. The game is over with a properly executed play.

What we really needed was a better play call. Why not throw a short route to Wallace or Johnson? Those short routes were open all day today.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
I didn't mind going for it. On the road, 4th and short, you convert and the game is over.

The actual playcall on the other hand...would like to see a replay showing on the players in the shot because it looked like it was just a run play and not a RPO. Was hopping we would have a guy or two at the sticks. Corndog needed to have gotten rid of it. Can't take a sack there.

Aug 28, 2009
With our luck today, they would've blocked the punt or it would've ended up in the endzone. I like the aggressiveness to go for it. The game is over with a properly executed play.

What we really needed was a better play call. Why not throw a short route to Wallace or Johnson? Those short routes were open all day today.
Because Yurcich.

Nov 18, 2011

Don’t question the call, per Gundy if your not a football coach you have no clue. He doesn’t question your line of business!

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas

Exactly. Johnson or maybe even Stoner lose somewhere.

Sep 18, 2018
Gatesville, TX
Does Yurcich know what a quick slant is? It’s either lateral pass or long ball. Zero intermediate or short routes past the line of scrimmage. My coaching experience may only be at the D2 level but that is a good way to let a defense pin their ears back and come after ya.

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
I was surprised he didn't go for the hardcount there, but it's hard to fault the game on that one play alone. Get it and you can run the clock out. In retrospect, yeah, those extra 30 yards would've been a big difference. Defense doesn't commit so many egregious 3rd down penalties, and the game might not be so close. Or a loss.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Does Yurcich know what a quick slant is? It’s either lateral pass or long ball. Zero intermediate or short routes past the line of scrimmage. My coaching experience may only be at the D2 level but that is a good way to let a defense pin their ears back and come after ya.
I don't nitpick every play call, but man, sometimes we just don't seem to know our own limitations & play to our strengths.

I've said the same thing about slants & using the freakin' middle of the field for 3 years now, yet we still seem to think a deep throw down a sideline is a high percentage play.

Twice today, with a QB who has accuracy issues, we go with a fade route in the end zone. Got a PI on one of them & scored, but still, our coaches honestly think having Cornelius throw a fade on 3rd down is our best option? Don't understand that at all.

Oct 7, 2009
Doesn't the pass have to be catchable anymore? When was that taken out of the rules? I missed that. Because that PI pass was way off angle which the Receiver was taking. It wasn't just overthrown - like the ohters - it was off-angle, too.

Oct 7, 2009
But that pass made NO DIFFERENCE with a head coach that hands the ball to the opponents near midfield instead of punting it 12-15 yards further. Seems like a small amount but any punt would have been better than the 4th down call that had NO CHANCE. There was only ONE receiver out there?!! And of course, all Defenses only have to rush Corn and he falls apart.

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
But that pass made NO DIFFERENCE with a head coach that hands the ball to the opponents near midfield instead of punting it 12-15 yards further. Seems like a small amount but any punt would have been better than the 4th down call that had NO CHANCE. There was only ONE receiver out there?!! And of course, all Defenses only have to rush Corn and he falls apart.
We have made 8/9 last 4th downs. It was the play call that mattered.