3M Open

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 8, 2009
Plano
Viktor and Matt are amazing, making OSU proud so fast after turning pro. I think Viktor has the better overall game than Wolff except for putting. That is a huge difference of course and maybe he is in a putting funk vs his noral game? Both are so impressive with their confidence and play right out of the box as pros. Also looked like cowboy wantabee clark is on a great track as well. Sad story about his mom and shame that seemed to push him to leave OSU but wouldnt have had been a senior when Viktor was a freshman?

OSU golf is back where it belongs, leading the country nd turning out cowboy proud players

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I agree, think they played against each other i high school golf. Major help for sure but Im not sure he could not handle playing with an idol too, Matt seems to be able to handle everything that comes his way in competition. Eagle when he had to have that on 18 on Sunday was incredible.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Viktor and Matt are amazing, making OSU proud so fast after turning pro. I think Viktor has the better overall game than Wolff except for putting. That is a huge difference of course and maybe he is in a putting funk vs his noral game? Both are so impressive with their confidence and play right out of the box as pros. Also looked like cowboy wantabee clark is on a great track as well. Sad story about his mom and shame that seemed to push him to leave OSU but wouldnt have had been a senior when Viktor was a freshman?

OSU golf is back where it belongs, leading the country nd turning out cowboy proud players
Wyndham is not a "wannabe" Poke. He is absolutely part of our family. Has a degree. Tragedy struck he and his family and he made a great move for himself for his last year of college golf.

He may not have Pete on his bag... but he's every bit a product of OSU Golf and should be embraced as such.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I thought Dechambeau was throwing a fit too, but he was walking away so he didnt have to watch Matts putt. He asked if it went in and someone said it did, and he was just like "oh well." He actually acted quite classy after Wolff made the putt. I have tons of respect for Dechambeau and enjoy watching him play. He has his own quirky swing, putting style, etc. I like seeing guys win who dont have the "model swing". Just goes to show that you need to find your swing and own it and repeat it over and over. There have been guys with unorthodox swings win on Tour many times. And now we've had another. I think Matt is going to be a PGA superstar. And Viktor is right there with him.
It's not his behavior that irks me. I mean... yeah he does have a fair amount of the "talk to your ball and throw a fit when it doesn't land where you want it to" in him and that does drive me a little crazy. It's why I don't like Jordan Spieth (well that and the getting visibly agitated that his fans enjoy watching him play).

It's that he isn't talented enough with his swing that he's trying to find some creative way to use physics and legal equipment alterations to gain some sort of advantage. He's basically trying to turn golf into NASCAR by gaining a technical advantage through equipment instead of athletic ability... and then he won't shut up about it like he's some kind of revolutionary genius in the game. Maybe when he finishes better than 15th at a major people will take him seriously.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
It's not his behavior that irks me. I mean... yeah he does have a fair amount of the "talk to your ball and throw a fit when it doesn't land where you want it to" in him and that does drive me a little crazy. It's why I don't like Jordan Spieth (well that and the getting visibly agitated that his fans enjoy watching him play).

It's that he isn't talented enough with his swing that he's trying to find some creative way to use physics and legal equipment alterations to gain some sort of advantage. He's basically trying to turn golf into NASCAR by gaining a technical advantage through equipment instead of athletic ability... and then he won't shut up about it like he's some kind of revolutionary genius in the game. Maybe when he finishes better than 15th at a major people will take him seriously.
spot on........... quit talking the grooves in your irons and win something. oh yeah, and use a real putter too..........

BD should take some clutch lessons from Wolff.............

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I agree Woff was less surprised by his eagle than BD was with his. Wolff acted like it was a big deal but not huge like BD did his.

I did not know Clark got his degree at OSU, I did know about his family tragedy. I see no OSU gear on his or did I miss it? Playing for the ducks left me wondering despite understanding a change of scenery helping him with getting behind loss of his mom and greatest fan.

I keep an OSU leaderboard on my PGA tour app and haven't moved him onto it but am open to knowing more of his loyalty to OSU

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I agree Woff was less surprised by his eagle than BD was with his. Wolff acted like it was a big deal but not huge like BD did his.

I did not know Clark got his degree at OSU, I did know about his family tragedy. I see no OSU gear on his or did I miss it? Playing for the ducks left me wondering despite understanding a change of scenery helping him with getting behind loss of his mom and greatest fan.

I keep an OSU leaderboard on my PGA tour app and haven't moved him onto it but am open to knowing more of his loyalty to OSU
He was great for OSU and our golf program acknowledges his PGA accomplishments every weekend.

CHIII just recently started putting any OSU stuff on his bag... What does representing us on gear have anything to do with that?

It's your choice to include him in your following... I'm just pointing out that calling him a wannabe Poke is a disgusting thing to do.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I over reacted to him leaving OSU and playing for the ducks and perhaps blamed him for the TV crew calling hi m an Oregon Duck repeatedly. Perhaps he has no control over how they identify him but it rubbed me wrong.

On my comments comparing Wolff and Hovland, in addition to a better short game, perhaps Wolff is more clutch than Viktor but this is base more on seeing them as pros than the little sample of NCAA golf I saw on golf channel. How do others compare these two, both of whom may both be to tier OSU pros when all is said and done.?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I over reacted to him leaving OSU and playing for the ducks and perhaps blamed him for the TV crew calling hi m an Oregon Duck repeatedly. Perhaps he has no control over how they identify him but it rubbed me wrong.
He's an Oregon Duck as well. Won an individual Pac 12 title and a team national championship when he was there.

Nothing wrong with that. He can be both.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
That quote is great... I could hear Gundy or Leach saying it

There are many golfers who try to find technical "advantages" if thats what you wanna call it. I call it customizing your clubs to fit your game best. Ben Hogan was one of the first to apply physics to his game. Truth be told, all players on the PGA have a significant amount of arrogance about them. But, one thing I noticed after the 3M was Bryson was hanging out with the kids after what had to be a heartbreaking loss.

Also, he has 5 professional wins at age 25. Not too shabby. My canadian bro in law met him at Torrey Pines and said he was one of the nicest PGA players he's met. Not trying to change opinions, just saying maybe you are being harsh.

I admire and respect all the guys on tour because I play the game and love the game and cant believe how well they play under all that pressure.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
There are many golfers who try to find technical "advantages" if thats what you wanna call it. I call it customizing your clubs to fit your game best. Ben Hogan was one of the first to apply physics to his game. Truth be told, all players on the PGA have a significant amount of arrogance about them. But, one thing I noticed after the 3M was Bryson was hanging out with the kids after what had to be a heartbreaking loss.

Also, he has 5 professional wins at age 25. Not too shabby. My canadian bro in law met him at Torrey Pines and said he was one of the nicest PGA players he's met. Not trying to change opinions, just saying maybe you are being harsh.

I admire and respect all the guys on tour because I play the game and love the game and cant believe how well they play under all that pressure.
Wow can't believe somebody just admitted to respecting Patrick Reed.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Wyndham Clark has two main alignment stick covers he rotates every week on tour. One has Pistol Pete's head and the other has "Go Pokes" on it. He's been using those since at least he first started getting TV time on Tour. I've seen them 3 different time this season.

1562700813206.png

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
Golf channel going coverage heavy on Cowboy golf players in the John Deere today. Following threesome of cowboy 2018-2019 season winners with Tway, CHIII and Wolff man. Hovland is getting his fair share of coverage too. They mentioned 7 Cowboys in the field this week. Hmmmmm they must not be counting Clark as a Cowboy. We need a low round today from Wolff, Hovland, CHIII to get back within shouting distance of the leaders, heck 4 under is the cut. As usual the field is going low this event.