3D printing

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 23, 2013
MX3D Bridge

MX3D is to 3D print a steel bridge. Really.

With our robots that can “draw” steel structures in 3D, we will print a bridge over water in the center of Amsterdam. We research and develop groundbreaking, cost-effective robotic technology with which we can 3D print beautiful, functional objects in almost any form. The ultimate test? Printing an intricate, ornate metal bridge for a special location to show what our robots and software, engineers, craftsmen and designers can do.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pZNTzkAR1Ho

Mar 23, 2013

First 3D-printed pill approved by US authorities

In a world first, the US Food and Drug Administration has given the go-ahead for a 3D-printed pill to be produced.

The FDA has previously approved medical devices - including prosthetics - that have been 3D printed.

The new drug, dubbed Spritam, was developed by Aprecia Pharmaceuticals to control seizures brought on by epilepsy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33772692

Mar 23, 2013

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151009-home-and-car-learning-to-share

• By David K Gibson
9 October 2015
The US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory has unveiled a futuristic prototype that unites home and vehicle, and we don’t mean they’ve designed a nuclear RV.

Rather, they’ve created a small shelter and a vehicle — one elegantly modern, the other comically utilitarian — that are built in the same factory and share a common power grid. At the core of the project is the world’s largest 3D printer, and the technical term for that printing process gives the project the name AMIE, which stands for Additive Manufacturing Integrated Energy.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151009-home-and-car-learning-to-share

• By David K Gibson
9 October 2015
The US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory has unveiled a futuristic prototype that unites home and vehicle, and we don’t mean they’ve designed a nuclear RV.

Rather, they’ve created a small shelter and a vehicle — one elegantly modern, the other comically utilitarian — that are built in the same factory and share a common power grid. At the core of the project is the world’s largest 3D printer, and the technical term for that printing process gives the project the name AMIE, which stands for Additive Manufacturing Integrated Energy.
Count on the govt to make a house no one wants to live in and a car no one wants to drive. :D

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
So if I wanted a cheap consumer level DIY kit, who should I go with?
I have opted to go with the Makerfarm Prusa i3v 8". While I would love the 12" inch <snicker>, budget constraints require that I get the 8 inch. It is pretty much a fun toy to keep me and the kids busy.

You can get cheaper Prusa kits from China, but makerfarm has great service and support. If you are missing a part, the owner Colin gets you a part from Utah pretty quickly. Documentation for these kits are pretty good as well, including a build guide and a bunch of helpful youtube vids.

Since it is part of the reprap movement (self replicating printers), after you print your calibration cube, they recommend you print off backup parts. Lots of open source goodies, including dual extruders, etc.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
A/V Subscriber
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor

First 3D-printed pill approved by US authorities

In a world first, the US Food and Drug Administration has given the go-ahead for a 3D-printed pill to be produced.

The FDA has previously approved medical devices - including prosthetics - that have been 3D printed.

The new drug, dubbed Spritam, was developed by Aprecia Pharmaceuticals to control seizures brought on by epilepsy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33772692

'Ludes!

Mar 23, 2013
Growing bones with the help of 3D fabrication
A US company is using a combination of computer aided design, 3D fabrication and stem cells to create bone replacements.

EpiBone uses a CT scan of the area needing a bone replacement and produces a scaffold from an animal bone which has been stripped of all its cellular material.

Stem cells taken from the patient's fat tissue are added and the structure is held in a bioreactor for three weeks while it grows.

The company is currently at the animal research phase, but clinical trials in humans could begin within the next couple years if it gets approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

BBC Click's Jen Copestake reports.

Release date:
29 January 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03gmtpd

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
We just got a 3d printer at work for printing prototype valves and it's pretty cool. Unfortunately, we weren't able to have any fun with it... Not sure that really has anything to do with the thread, but I wanted to brag that we have one. :D

SKC

Deputy
Apr 1, 2007
Prosper, TX
In the next few days I will have some 3D printed Lego heads of my daughters arrive in the mail. You take front and side pics of the face/head and email them to this company in the UK. They 3D print them small enough to fit on a Lego character's body. Didn't tell the kids why I was taking their pics, but hoping it will turn out good and they'll enjoy them.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I have opted to go with the Makerfarm Prusa i3v 8". While I would love the 12" inch <snicker>, budget constraints require that I get the 8 inch. It is pretty much a fun toy to keep me and the kids busy.

You can get cheaper Prusa kits from China, but makerfarm has great service and support. If you are missing a part, the owner Colin gets you a part from Utah pretty quickly. Documentation for these kits are pretty good as well, including a build guide and a bunch of helpful youtube vids.

Since it is part of the reprap movement (self replicating printers), after you print your calibration cube, they recommend you print off backup parts. Lots of open source goodies, including dual extruders, etc.
I lied. Just ordered the makerfarm pegasys 8" instead. Funds fell through before.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I was in Barnes and Noble the other day...they are actually selling a 3D printer in there now....it is an underwhelming 3D printer....but it struck me as odd that a book store would now be selling these.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-da-vinci-jr-10-3d-printer/29038403

Update..guess they signed a partnership with XYZ printing to makes the thing.....with the hopes of creating a learning environment for Science, Tech, Eng, and Mathematics in hopes educators will buy them and bring them into their class rooms

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-printers-to-stores-nationwide-300161016.html

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
This will advance and set back the human race like few things we have seen. It will allow for relatively inexpensive anything to the be manufactured essentially anywhere........while putting millions upon millions out of work.
So, the 3D print industry will be put out of business, if too many millions of jobless people don't have the money to buy anything printed.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
My power supply and first spool of filament arrived on Friday. The printer kit arrived at my house today. While this kit doesn't require a lot of soldering, it does require some. So I will pick up some new soldering iron tips on the way home tonight.