Men's Basketball 2020 SF Cade Cunningham

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Very interesting changes this week with Evan Daniels predicting us and then Jerry Meyer flipping to us from Kentucky that same day. Wonder what info they are working off of. Also, any info on his state of Texas ties? He's listed from Florida, but plays AAU for a Texas team.

Dec 21, 2008
Followed by CHarris Jr Ike and Avery, 3 TX players plus Coach B Scott and a few others on Twitter. Isaiah Todd is only followed by Coach. Some of these TX AAU boys like connecting together esp somewhat near their hometown so parents can come watch. Wonder if LBNash Marcus and Phil have any influence? Coach B is selling a big time program. Just gotta get the bodies and keep the same mindset!

Mar 11, 2006
Hopefully this will also help landing Bryce. Has to make OSU attractive with two of his AAU players and Cunningham on the team.

RPG

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...09/oklahoma-state-hires-brother-no-2-prospect

Oklahoma State hires brother of No. 2 prospect

Oklahoma State made a significant move in the basketball recruiting world on Tuesday, hiring the older brother of No. 2-ranked rising senior Cade Cunningham as its new assistant coach.

Cannen Cunningham, 26, played at SMU from 2011 to 2015 and spent last season at Tulane as the associate director of video operations under Mike Dunleavy Sr.

"I am thrilled to be able to add Cannen to our staff," Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton said. "I have gotten to know Cannen really well over the last year or so as I have watched his development as a coach. He has a great knack for player development and has a relatability with players that will be a tremendous asset to the continual growth of our program. Cannen has strong knowledge of basketball as he has learned from a couple of our game's best teachers. I look forward to the energy and relationships that he can bring to elevate our program to the next level."

Cunningham also spent time on the coaching staffs of the Drive Nation and Texas Titans grassroots programs.

Cade Cunningham, a 6-foot-7 point guard from Texas who plays at Montverde Academy (Florida), is one of the best high school prospects in the country. He rose to No. 2 in the most recent ESPN 100 rankings after a stellar spring. Playing for the Texas Titans on the Nike EYBL circuit, Cunningham averaged 25.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.2 assists through 12 games.

As speculation grew over the past month about Oklahoma State potentially hiring his brother, various industry sources began considering the Cowboys as the favorites to land Cunningham's commitment for the 2020-21 season.

The trend of programs hiring the relative of a highly ranked prospect has grown in recent years. Washington and then Missouri hired Michael Porter Sr., the father of Michael Porter Jr. and Jontay Porter, and Western Kentucky hired the guardian of Charles Bassey. Last spring, USC hired Eric Mobley, the father of incoming five-star freshman Isaiah Mobley and top-ranked rising senior Evan Mobley.

Jun 14, 2011
I love it. Putting our big boy pants on with this one!

Helps that the guy has bonafide coaching credentials and fits in with exactly who Coach Boynton wants to hire.
Agreed. My gut reaction was "man, it feels a bit shady hiring a relative, just doesn't feel kosher as I know I have poo-poo'ed on other teams for doing it in the past". Then I actually read about our new Coach C, and was a bit disappointed in myself as his resume isn't bad at all. I hope he is a great for our team and a solid big man developer.

Curious what happened between his sophomore and jr year at SMU that his minutes fell off a cliff.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Agreed. My gut reaction was "man, it feels a bit shady hiring a relative, just doesn't feel kosher as I know I have poo-poo'ed on other teams for doing it in the past". Then I actually read about our new Coach C, and was a bit disappointed in myself as his resume isn't bad at all. I hope he is a great for our team and a solid big man developer.

Curious what happened between his sophomore and jr year at SMU that his minutes fell off a cliff.
I think that's when Brown pulled in some top quality talent (and started taking SATs for them).

Mar 11, 2006
Rumors have been swirling for awhile that TU was going to offer Rod Thompson (Bryce’s Dad) an assistant job. He would be an incredible hire. He knows basketball, has a lot of experiencing coaching and training, built his basketball organization from the ground-up, and very well known in AAU circles.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water

Exactly, he’s not some random bum we pulled off the AAU circuit. He’s been coached under Larry Brown and worked with Mike Dunleavy Sr. He’s from the DFW area, he played the game at the D1 level, he’s really young and should help interact with basketball recruits. I like this hire, plus I think this has been In the mix for awhile ever since Cade started trending toward OSU.