2020 MBB General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/4/1...asketball-recruit-greg-brown-moussa-cisse-lsu

Looks like Greg Brown may be considering G league or playing overseas:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamza...-including-greg-brown-kai-sotto/#2e6cdba72dbe

After Landing Jalen Green And Isaiah Todd, NBA G League Is Courting Other Prep Stars, Including Greg Brown, Kai Sotto
Adam ZagoriaContributor

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 10: Greg Brown looks on during the Nike Academy Showcase Game on August 10, ... [+]
Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The NBA G League isn’t messing around.

After signing prep star Jalen Green on Thursday and reportedly adding former Michigan commit Isaiah Todd, the development league has been linked to a number of high school stars, including 6-foot-9 Texas power forward Greg Brown and 7-1 big man Kai Sotto, a native of the Philippines.

The 6-foot-5 Green will reportedly make $500,000 next year playing for a new team which will be unaffiliated with any existing NBA G League franchise or NBA team. It was first reported in this space on Tuesday that Green was considering skipping college for a six-figure deal in the G League.

His new team will reportedly play a limited 20-game schedule before Green and the team’s other young stars become eligible for the 2021 NBA Draft.

Greg Brown Sr. said Thursday evening that the G League reached out two months ago but that the family has “not spoken with them in two months.”

Brown, a senior at Vandegrift (TX) High School, is poised to announce April 24. His father said Brown is considering Kentucky, Memphis, Texas, Michigan and Auburn as well as the G League and playing overseas.

“Everything has always been an option,” Greg Brown Sr. said. “I’m not sure what Greg will decide to do at this point.”

Brown is the projected No. 12 pick in 2021, per ESPN.com.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Heck If I was a top 10 recruit and had the ability to make $500,00 to play 20 games in the G league I would take that route. It’s my opinion that this is going to put the college basketball landscape in a much more equal playing field. It’ll clean up the under the table garbage that goes on.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
College vs G-League. With the current set-up of the G-League, college is still a better option. G-League might be the safe "lock-in" your value option and be willing to accept a small slide down the draft board.

If Cade Cunningham is not the #1 draft pick in 2021, it will be another College player. It won't be someone that went to the G-League.

G-League reasons
1) Happy with your current Draft Projection
2) Don't feel that you can improve Draft Projection.
3) Can't wait a year for money.
4) Less practices and games -> less injury risk (based on current structure of G-League teams)

College reasons
1) Better coaching (this isn't even close)
2) More visibility. Games on TV, Highlights on TV, and Name in the news.
3) Opportunity to bet on yourself and improve Draft Projection.
4) Opportunity for bigger endorsement contracts.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The top recruits aren’t going slide down the draft order playing with the new option for the G league. These guys are going to play against pros and be coached and get professional instruction. I’m sure they will educated on what it takes to be a professional. The top guys are going to cut endorsement deals sooner than later. All I’m saying is for the Top 1% of kids coming out it’s makes sense. It’s no different than your top HS early round picks in baseball signing pro contracts.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
College vs G-League. With the current set-up of the G-League, college is still a better option. G-League might be the safe "lock-in" your value option and be willing to accept a small slide down the draft board.

If Cade Cunningham is not the #1 draft pick in 2021, it will be another College player. It won't be someone that went to the G-League.

G-League reasons
1) Happy with your current Draft Projection
2) Don't feel that you can improve Draft Projection.
3) Can't wait a year for money.
4) Less practices and games -> less injury risk (based on current structure of G-League teams)

College reasons
1) Better coaching (this isn't even close)
2) More visibility. Games on TV, Highlights on TV, and Name in the news.
3) Opportunity to bet on yourself and improve Draft Projection.
4) Opportunity for bigger endorsement contracts.
Pro reasons
5) Pro seasons (particularly overseas) might be more likely to be held than college due to COVID

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
The top recruits aren’t going slide down the draft order playing with the new option for the G league. These guys are going to play against pros and be coached and get professional instruction. I’m sure they will educated on what it takes to be a professional. The top guys are going to cut endorsement deals sooner than later. All I’m saying is for the Top 1% of kids coming out it’s makes sense. It’s no different than your top HS early round picks in baseball signing pro contracts.
When I talk about sliding, it is 5 or 6 spots, not out of the draft. There is a big difference in endorsements when you are the #1 guy versus the #5 guy in the draft.

Any endorsements signed while they are in the G-League are going to have clauses that determine the real value at a later time. There will be some money that is never realized because they took money early instead of getting the contract when they had actual value for the endorsement company. Nike, Adidas, etc will carpet bomb the high school kids with smaller contracts that only pay big if they are in a certain NBA draft slot.

I don't know the actual figures, but I think Zion made a lot more endorsement money by going to college and moving up from being the #5 high school player to being the #1 NBA draft pick.

As for coaching, the G-League is not at the level of the top coaches in the NCAA, which is where the top players tend to play. A player will learn more from Bill Self than Grant Gibbs (OKC Blue).

Mar 11, 2006
When I talk about sliding, it is 5 or 6 spots, not out of the draft. There is a big difference in endorsements when you are the #1 guy versus the #5 guy in the draft.

Any endorsements signed while they are in the G-League are going to have clauses that determine the real value at a later time. There will be some money that is never realized because they took money early instead of getting the contract when they had actual value for the endorsement company. Nike, Adidas, etc will carpet bomb the high school kids with smaller contracts that only pay big if they are in a certain NBA draft slot.

I don't know the actual figures, but I think Zion made a lot more endorsement money by going to college and moving up from being the #5 high school player to being the #1 NBA draft pick.

As for coaching, the G-League is not at the level of the top coaches in the NCAA, which is where the top players tend to play. A player will learn more from Bill Self than Grant Gibbs (OKC Blue).
No argument that Bill Self is a great coach and I don’t know Grant Gibbs so I can’t comment on him.
But what level of coaching a person is in does not necessarily correlate to coaching ability. Some of the best coaches I’ve seen are HS coaches. IMO, there are three HS coaches just in Tulsa metro area that are as good or better than the majority of Big12 coaches.

Aug 7, 2006
I think the over-seas pro leagues are a legitimate and much better option than the current G-League.
Not in this situation, I don't think. A lot of time, those kids aren't going to get good minutes and those teams aren't going to take time to develop them because they're only there a year. This new "all star" G-League team is going to give them a ton of minutes and I'm sure player development and getting them ready for the NBA is the going to be a top priority. Plus, you're getting decent money and you're not moving to the other side of the world far away from family and friends... This is a smart move by the NBA.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Not in this situation, I don't think. A lot of time, those kids aren't going to get good minutes and those teams aren't going to take time to develop them because they're only there a year. This new "all star" G-League team is going to give them a ton of minutes and I'm sure player development and getting them ready for the NBA is the going to be a top priority. Plus, you're getting decent money and you're not moving to the other side of the world far away from family and friends... This is a smart move by the NBA.
That is true about being a short timer in these foreign leagues and coaches not wanting to put the work into someone that is leaving in a year if there is another player of equal skill.

I think G-League could be legitimate in a few years, but not sure about today's G-League. It will determine how the NBA restructures the G-League. Previously $125k was max salary and obviously that is going to change. But who pays for it?

The NBA's rule that prevents high school players from being drafted was put in because the NBA teams couldn't help themselves from drafting high school players that were not ready for the NBA. A lot of those players sat on the bench and were developed during their rookie contract, only to leave that team in free-agency.

Currently, G-League teams are affiliated with NBA teams so I don't know what that looks like when a high school kid plays for one of those teams. He would be a special case without team rights, because he hasn't went through a draft process. So does the NBA absorb his salary?

The 1st round of the NBA draft has averaged around 13 College Freshmen over the last 5 years. So there's not enough High School Seniors for every NBA affiliate to have a legitimate 1-n-Done player every year. Does a new 1 round High School draft happen, with teams having rights for 3 years?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
No argument that Bill Self is a great coach and I don’t know Grant Gibbs so I can’t comment on him.
But what level of coaching a person is in does not necessarily correlate to coaching ability. Some of the best coaches I’ve seen are HS coaches. IMO, there are three HS coaches just in Tulsa metro area that are as good or better than the majority of Big12 coaches.
As good as or better than the majority of Big12 coaches? I'm curious, what are the 6 coaches?

Bill Self KU
Bob Huggins WV
Chris Beard TT
Scott Drew BU
Bruce Weber KSU
Jamie Dixon TCU
Mike Boynton, Jr. OSU
Steve Prohm ISU
Lon Kruger OU
Shaka Smart UT

Aug 7, 2006
That is true about being a short timer in these foreign leagues and coaches not wanting to put the work into someone that is leaving in a year if there is another player of equal skill.

I think G-League could be legitimate in a few years, but not sure about today's G-League. It will determine how the NBA restructures the G-League. Previously $125k was max salary and obviously that is going to change. But who pays for it?

The NBA's rule that prevents high school players from being drafted was put in because the NBA teams couldn't help themselves from drafting high school players that were not ready for the NBA. A lot of those players sat on the bench and were developed during their rookie contract, only to leave that team in free-agency.

Currently, G-League teams are affiliated with NBA teams so I don't know what that looks like when a high school kid plays for one of those teams. He would be a special case without team rights, because he hasn't went through a draft process. So does the NBA absorb his salary?

The 1st round of the NBA draft has averaged around 13 College Freshmen over the last 5 years. So there's not enough High School Seniors for every NBA affiliate to have a legitimate 1-n-Done player every year. Does a new 1 round High School draft happen, with teams having rights for 3 years?
They're creating an unaffiliated team based in LA to put the elite prospects on. The team will have some veteran players as well to help mentor the young players on how to be a pro. The high school players aren't going to be affiliated with any franchise in the NBA during this time. Once they're done with their season, they'll enter the NBA draft and go wherever they're drafted. The NBA is paying for all of this because they didn't want the elite prospects going abroad because it makes it more difficult to scout. It's costly and tough to evaluate prospects playing in China or New Zealand because of the competition. Here they'll play against tougher competition, not just G-league teams, but international teams and others. They'll also get better coaching, apparently former coach of the year Sam Mitchell has been hired to coach the team.

I read something earlier that said this is just the start and that they're planning on having a division of 4-5 teams like this particular one to help develop prospects. This seems like the logical next step for when the 1 and done rule is finally over in the near future. I feel like they might make the elite high school players play in this league for a year before being drafted. Ideally, IMO, the rule would be similar to baseball in that if you don't go to the G-league and you choose to go to college you have to stay there for at least 3 years. I think that would be beneficial for the NBA and the college game.

Mar 11, 2006
As good as or better than the majority of Big12 coaches? I'm curious, what are the 6 coaches?

Bill Self KU
Bob Huggins WV
Chris Beard TT
Scott Drew BU
Bruce Weber KSU
Jamie Dixon TCU
Mike Boynton, Jr. OSU
Steve Prohm ISU
Lon Kruger OU
Shaka Smart UT
First, there is no doubt that the Big12 has a lot of very good coaches.
Second, I am referring to coaching basketball. Not recruiting capability.

IMO, Drew, Beard, and Self are standouts. Huggins and Kruger are also strong.

I think Smart needs a specific player set to be successful. Like Boeheim.
I am not a big fan of Dixon or Weber. I don’t know think I can grade Prohm as I have only seen a few ISU game. And I won’t grade Boynton.

So yes, I would put three HS coaches in Tulsa metro above the last five I mentioned. And that shouldn’t be a shock. Just because someone coaches in college does not mean they are a better basketball coach than a HS coach. Some of the most innovative offenses started with HS coaches. They dont get to recruit to a system (Smart, Boeheim, Westhead, etc). They coach to multiple talent levels and the good ones are forced to learn different ways to be competitive.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
They're creating an unaffiliated team based in LA to put the elite prospects on. The team will have some veteran players as well to help mentor the young players on how to be a pro. The high school players aren't going to be affiliated with any franchise in the NBA during this time. Once they're done with their season, they'll enter the NBA draft and go wherever they're drafted. The NBA is paying for all of this because they didn't want the elite prospects going abroad because it makes it more difficult to scout. It's costly and tough to evaluate prospects playing in China or New Zealand because of the competition. Here they'll play against tougher competition, not just G-league teams, but international teams and others. They'll also get better coaching, apparently former coach of the year Sam Mitchell has been hired to coach the team.

I read something earlier that said this is just the start and that they're planning on having a division of 4-5 teams like this particular one to help develop prospects. This seems like the logical next step for when the 1 and done rule is finally over in the near future. I feel like they might make the elite high school players play in this league for a year before being drafted. Ideally, IMO, the rule would be similar to baseball in that if you don't go to the G-league and you choose to go to college you have to stay there for at least 3 years. I think that would be beneficial for the NBA and the college game.
Thanks for the info. That definitely sounds more promising.

I don't think the NBA will ever eliminate their one year rule (which has created the 1-n-done situation). It benefits the NBA too much.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
First, there is no doubt that the Big12 has a lot of very good coaches.
Second, I am referring to coaching basketball. Not recruiting capability.

IMO, Drew, Beard, and Self are standouts. Huggins and Kruger are also strong.

I think Smart needs a specific player set to be successful. Like Boeheim.
I am not a big fan of Dixon or Weber. I don’t know think I can grade Prohm as I have only seen a few ISU game. And I won’t grade Boynton.

So yes, I would put three HS coaches in Tulsa metro above the last five I mentioned. And that shouldn’t be a shock. Just because someone coaches in college does not mean they are a better basketball coach than a HS coach. Some of the most innovative offenses started with HS coaches. They dont get to recruit to a system (Smart, Boeheim, Westhead, etc). They coach to multiple talent levels and the good ones are forced to learn different ways to be competitive.
By rating 5 better than the high school coaches, that doesn't fit what you said about the 3 high school coaches being better than the majority of the Big 12 coaches.

I do agree with you for the most part on how you view the coaches. I would probably put Huggins with the top 3. For over 20 years, my view of Huggins is that he will have great teams, but will never win the big one. I thought Kenyon Martin was going to prove me wrong.

I would put Kruger and Dixon in the next level. Dixon had a rough year this year, but was doing well his first 3 years at TCU and was very successful at PITT.

Then Weber, Prohm and Boynton (Prohm and Boynton both need more data points to rank, so by default they are here)

I think Smart is the bottom of the barrel in the Big12.