Football 2020 General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Whelp Loic Fouonji to TTU and TCU picks up another 4 star recruit putting us in 6th. Anyone think this class will finish in the bottom half of the big 12? I like the guys we got, but still feels like a pretty mediocre class overall just in comparison to the rest of the big 12. Getting tired of recruiting being so underwhelming for how good the cowboys have been. Not sure how a recruit thinks it’s a good choice to go to Arizona, Arkansas, or Texas Tech over OSU

I know I’m being pessimistic, but I can easily see Ngata going to ASU and just filling out with low 3 stars. Anyone have any positivity for me?
ADDD7458-EE55-45D5-B16A-5B36F30ED915.jpeg

Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
For all the credit Gundy deserves for the masterful coaching job to close this season, I hate his lack of recruiting prowess. We can beat the teams we’re supposed to with coaching and development, hard to see us beating the big dogs recruiting like we do
Cue the stars don’t matter brigade.

But I agree, we do amazing with what we have but I would love to see what could happen with a string of top 20-25 classes. I don’t see that happening anytime soon though.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Cue the stars don’t matter brigade.

But I agree, we do amazing with what we have but I would love to see what could happen with a string of top 20-25 classes. I don’t see that happening anytime soon though.
Nope we probably won’t, Gundy says “are we ever going to be a program that pulls in top 20 classes? Probably not.” No shit with an attitude like that man! Is he perfectly fine recruiting mediocre classes and always being a 2nd/3rd place program? He needs to be hammered with these questions. Loved it when holder called him on it. Reporters need to hammer him relentlessly with stuff like, “I see you make 2-5 times as much as some other big 12 coaches, how do you justify them making you their whipping boy on the recruiting trail?” He’s a damn fine coach, but for $5mil/year, doesn’t seem like the best return on investment on this topic

He needs to be like Ed O and sacrifice a little of his own salary (I get that it’s hard to survive on $5mil in Stillwater) to get better recruiters and surround himself with more talented analysts and what not on his staff.

Last edited:

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Does he not see that Rudolph, Wallace, Dez, Chuba, Ateman, Tyron, Brailford, Vincent Taylor, etc... were all 4-star recruits?? Sure we have the Randles, Blackmons, and Washingtons who were 5 stars disguised as 3 stars, but you’re gonna find wayyyyy more busts looking for diamonds in the rough than you are going after players other teams want too. The ratio of studs/busts on 4 star recruits we’ve gotten is MUCH better than on 3 stars.

Jan 14, 2006
He did just hire Todd Bradford to add to our recruiting staff. Probably won't make ab difference this class but that says to me that he's attempting to improve.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
He did just hire Todd Bradford to add to our recruiting staff. Probably won't make ab difference this class but that says to me that he's attempting to improve.
I’m in believe it when I see it mode. Not seeing anything inspiring from the increase in recruiting budget so far. Maybe it was a good hire, gotta see results though

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Whelp Loic Fouonji to TTU and TCU picks up another 4 star recruit putting us in 6th. Anyone think this class will finish in the bottom half of the big 12? I like the guys we got, but still feels like a pretty mediocre class overall just in comparison to the rest of the big 12. Getting tired of recruiting being so underwhelming for how good the cowboys have been. Not sure how a recruit thinks it’s a good choice to go to Arizona, Arkansas, or Texas Tech over OSU

I know I’m being pessimistic, but I can easily see Ngata going to ASU and just filling out with low 3 stars. Anyone have any positivity for me?
I think it is a conscious effort to recruit only players of high character. When is the last time we had someone suspended or kicked off the team for getting into legal trouble? I think it was Tyreek in 2014.

I think Gundy has decided he doesn’t want to deal with troublemakers. Not saying every recruit we don’t get is a troublemaker, but thinking they are limiting our pool of players from the start which makes it less likely we get the 4 and 5 star players.

Maybe not though, just seems like a recent trend. But the basketball team has lost more players since 2014 to discipline than the football team and there are over 6 times as many scholarship players on the football roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
I think it is a conscious effort to recruit only players of high character. When is the last time we had someone suspended or kicked off the team for getting into legal trouble? I think it was Tyreek in 2014.

I think Gundy has decided he doesn’t want to deal with troublemakers. Not saying every recruit we don’t get is a troublemaker, but thinking they are limiting our pool of players from the start which makes it less likely we get the 4 and 5 star players.

Maybe not though, just seems like a recent trend. But the basketball team has lost more players since 2014 to discipline than the football team and there are over 6 times as many scholarship players on the football roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. We had a few guys that were 4 stars that never played or left after very short careers because of legal issues. I think he got tired of it wants a more positive culture and recruits accordingly. I support this selectivity... it means we don't have to worry about benching star players for thuggery or sweeping issues under the rug like some schools to the south.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Exactly. We had a few guys that were 4 stars that never played or left after very short careers because of legal issues. I think he got tired of it wants a more positive culture and recruits accordingly. I support this selectivity... it means we don't have to worry about benching star players for thuggery or sweeping issues under the rug like some schools to the south.
You guys have a good point here. I love that all of our players seem like genuinely good, likable people. Makes it much easier to cheer for not only OSU Zein’s, but their own personal success. I’d rather be a 6-6 team than win a NC with someone like Jameis Winston, Joe Mixon, or some of Art Briles’s players

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
You guys have a good point here. I love that all of our players seem like genuinely good, likable people. Makes it much easier to cheer for not only OSU Zein’s, but their own personal success. I’d rather be a 6-6 team than win a NC with someone like Jameis Winston, Joe Mixon, or some of Art Briles’s players
Not sure I would compare Winston to Mixon

Nov 6, 2010
It would be really interesting if someone could put a database together to account for initial recruiting rankings for past classes, then adjust them to account for dismissals, suspensions, transfers, etc, to show the actual final recruiting ranking of the class as juniors and seniors. I'm sure that some of the programs with better recruiting rankings than us that are hard to understand, are taking some risks and don't end up with those players for the full 4 years. We did that early in the building process, but there has been a notable decline in discipline issues and dismissals in the last few years.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
It would be really interesting if someone could put a database together to account for initial recruiting rankings for past classes, then adjust them to account for dismissals, suspensions, transfers, etc, to show the actual final recruiting ranking of the class as juniors and seniors. I'm sure that some of the programs with better recruiting rankings than us that are hard to understand, are taking some risks and don't end up with those players for the full 4 years. We did that early in the building process, but there has been a notable decline in discipline issues and dismissals in the last few years.
This is a really good point I’ve never thought of. I definitely believe we would be in the top 30 in a lot of seasons by this metric. It really is great following a team that is almost never surrounded by a cloud of controversy

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
ESPN just put us at 40. ISU at 33. Surprised how well middle and low tier sec teams recruit for very underwhelming results. Kids gotta get paid though.
ISU and KU will fall. we will rise slightly or stay same. We have less commits than Iowa State and Kansas. Kansas class is full so they are about to drop.
Yeah, I hard someone say this is fairly small senior class. So less scholly's available.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk