2020 Football Fan Guide

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
How does Bama have 10 bowl wins in the last 10 years when they lost their bowl games in 2013 and 2014 an maybe some others? This is just confuddling me!

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
All those teams have won national championships recently, while we're struggling to reach 2011 status again. Besides, bowl win are meaningless considering how everyone seems to go to a bowl game. Now it depends on if the team wants to be there in the first place.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Has that helped in recruiting? What is our biggest selling point in recruiting? Don't tell me it's 20% off all Cheese Fries.
1596051344328.png

Not to mention others who have excelled here and have great feelings about Oklahoma State and it's football team. There is a reason we keep getting outstanding running backs. Now it's happening with WR's. We have a selling point in that we also are on that list above and that we are in the top 11 in wins over the past decade...under you know who...who also, despite what some say, is a selling point.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Open dress code, yup.

Interestingly enough, alot of what Doug G reported as the team's Change demands are on Iowa's complaint list against their program.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I read a lengthy piece on ESPN regarding the Iowa situation & thought the same thing & that there were a lot of parallels.
But other than Miami in the 80s and maybe tOSU under Tressel, I could see many black players having the point of view that their school "trying to make them white" with no ear rings, wear a suit, don't wear droopy pants, etc. ?

But I don't think its really "make me white" as lots of white kids also like rap, wear ear rings, wear pants around their knees, etc. Isn't it just more "conservative" vs "free expression" ? Lots of coaches do "conservative" as "con-formative = one team, one look".

Maybe I've got a big blind spot ?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
But other than Miami in the 80s and maybe tOSU under Tressel, I could see many black players having the point of view that their school "trying to make them white" with no ear rings, wear a suit, don't wear droopy pants, etc. ?

But I don't think its really "make me white" as lots of white kids also like rap, wear ear rings, wear pants around their knees, etc. Isn't it just more "conservative" vs "free expression" ? Lots of coaches do "conservative" as "con-formative = one team, one look".

Maybe I've got a big blind spot ?
Yeah, I suppose it's a little like the pushback the NBA got when they mandated dress codes. I see the point: casual dress is now widely accepted, so why make us wear suits? I can totally understand that.

What I read in the Iowa story, though, was different discipline for black athletes or at least they felt that way & apparently have at Iowa for years under Ferentz. His own son had a couple of alcohol-related offenses, & the discipline appears to have been handled very differently than some of the black players.

Some of the other stuff is their strength coach being old school & behind the times, imo, but I've never been a coach, either. One of the examples given was a black kid who was late for practice, so the coach made him run around the field with a trash can over his head. The black players felt like this was humiliating & that it would never happen to a white player. That's their opinion & they may well be right, but either way, the coach's methods seem a little too old school & demeaning in today's world.

It's an interesting (or plenty of other adjectives!) time right now where the individual has such a platform that it can be used for good, or to grind an axe, & the whole world knows about it in seconds, then the responses from the coach(es) has to come. So, you're trying to coach, teach, mentor 18-21 year olds, but they have the ability to say publicly that you're treating them unfair. Seems like a fine line to walk, particularly for some of the guys today whose approach is still largely old school.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
They counted each playoff win
This is nice, but it I'd rather be losing playoff and new years six bowls than winning the liberty bowl.
Apparently there aren't many teams that have won 7 Liberty Bowls in the last 10 years either. I'd rather be us than all of those that haven't. And there are a LOT more teams that haven't won 7 lesser bowls than there are losing playoff and new years six bowls.