2020 FOOTBALL depth chart (best guess)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2014
My best guess at what the depth chart will look like this fall. Not many starting positions up for grabs this year, but a few battles note include at backup RB, backup QB, corner opposite Rodarius Williams and kicker. Starters are probably set on d-line, but will be a lot of competition for reps in the rotation. I wouldn't expect any of the freshman to get much playing time except for Presley in the return game and maybe a little in the slot. OL gets pretty messy after the starters since the coaches treat most of them as interchangeable at several positions.

QB: Spencer Sanders, Shane Illingsworth, Ethan Bullock, Brendan Costello
RB: Chuba Hubbard, LD Brown, Dezmon Jackson, Deondrick Glass, Micah Cooper
WR: Tylan Wallace, Langston Anderson, Dee Anderson
WR: Dillon Stoner, Landon Wolf, Brennan Presley
WR: Braydon Johnson, Jonathan Shepherd, Matt Polk
CW: Jelani Woods, Logan Carter, Dayton Metcalf, Quinton Stewart
LT: Dylan Galloway, Hunter Woodard
LG: Bryce Bray, Cole Birmingham
C: Ry Schneider, Tyrese Williams
RG: Josh Sills, Hunter Anthony
RT: Teven Jenkins, Jacob Farrell

DE: Tyler Lacy, Kody Walterschied
DT: Cam Murray, Jayden Jernigan, Brendan Evers, Xavier Ross
DT: Israel Antwine, *Collin Clay, Samuela Tuihalamaka, Sione Asi
DE: Trace Ford, Brock Martin, Isreal Isuman-Hundley, Tyren Irby
LB: Amen Ogbongbemiga, Calvin Bundage, Na'drian Dizadare
LB: Malcolm Rodriguez, Devin Harper, Kamryn Farrar
CB: Rodarius Williams, Thomas Harper, Gabe Lemons
S: Kolby Harvell-Peel, Tanner Mcallister, Nick Session
S: Tre Sterling, Kanion Williams, Zac Middleton
S: Jason Taylor, Sean Michael Flanagan
CB: Jarrick Bernard, Christian Holmes, Demarco Jones

PK: Jake McClure, Alex Hale
P: Tom Hutton
LS: Matt Hembrough
KR: Deondrick Glass, Brennan Presley
PR: Dillon Stoner, Brennan Presley

*unsure on eligibility status for 2020

Jan 14, 2006
Good work. It's nice to have a year where there are fewer questions.

I'm curious to see how the receivers shake out after Tylan and Stoner. Johnson came on strong, Shepherd was the starter last spring before he got hurt and Anderson/Anderson are both intriguing. Tons of potential without even mentioning Wolf and Jelani.

Also, crazy seeing that much LB depth. Love it.

Jul 22, 2014
If Bundage isn’t starting that means he hasn’t fully recovered - I hope that isn’t the case. He is simply a playmaker.
No doubt he is a playmaker, but I can’t see him taking the starting spot from Amen or Rodriguez. I’m sure he will get a lot of reps though. He can be used all over the field and is right up there with Harvell-Peel and Ford as far as talent and ability to impact the game. Unfortunately he also has a few bad habits (like getting dumb penalties) that keep him from his full potential.

Jan 14, 2006
If Bundage isn’t starting that means he hasn’t fully recovered - I hope that isn’t the case. He is simply a playmaker.
I think he will be used situationally. He's a little light to play DE and Amen and Malcolm have played so well that there's not a spot for him in our base D. That said, if he's healthy, I bet he's on the field for 30-40% of the snaps because he's so dynamic.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
He’s a heat seeking missile when healthy for sure but lacks discipline at times and definitely isn’t as good in coverage as Rodriguez.

He wouldn’t start even if fully healthy but he’ll have packages when he can create havoc in the backfield.
No doubt he is a playmaker, but I can’t see him taking the starting spot from Amen or Rodriguez. I’m sure he will get a lot of reps though. He can be used all over the field and is right up there with Harvell-Peel and Ford as far as talent and ability to impact the game. Unfortunately he also has a few bad habits (like getting dumb penalties) that keep him from his full potential.
I don’t think he’ll back up Amen at inside linebacker, though. Too much responsibility there in both run and pass defense. I think Harper will jump back and forth as needed. At almost 240 pounds, he’ll be able to handle it.

As for the rest of the entire depth chart, I think you’ve done really well. I’d be surprised though if Dee Anderson falls to third on the depth chart.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That's a hell of a lineup...best in several years on both sides of the ball...QB play will, once again, be key and I hope Sanders is up to the task...hated to see him get injured just as he was learning how to manage games so well and use his feet only when necessary rather than playing "hero" ball. Should be a stellar year if he can distribute the rock and keep it in the hands of our Senior leadership. Gonna be a Hell of a year...hopefully it happens with little to no disruption.

Nov 6, 2010
He’s a heat seeking missile when healthy for sure but lacks discipline at times and definitely isn’t as good in coverage as Rodriguez.

He wouldn’t start even if fully healthy but he’ll have packages when he can create havoc in the backfield.

I don’t think he’ll back up Amen at inside linebacker, though. Too much responsibility there in both run and pass defense. I think Harper will jump back and forth as needed. At almost 240 pounds, he’ll be able to handle it.

As for the rest of the entire depth chart, I think you’ve done really well. I’d be surprised though if Dee Anderson falls to third on the depth chart.
Ditto on Dee Anderson. I don't think we're bringing him in for a year with plans on never using him. I think he starts on the opposite side from Wallace just because of his size and I think Johnson gets more snaps at the inside receiver spot. The receivers will be interesting especially early in the year because I think they may ease Wallace back in given his injury was so late in the year.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Ditto on Dee Anderson. I don't think we're bringing him in for a year with plans on never using him. I think he starts on the opposite side from Wallace just because of his size and I think Johnson gets more snaps at the inside receiver spot. The receivers will be interesting especially early in the year because I think they may ease Wallace back in given his injury was so late in the year.
There really aren’t enough balls to go around to make every fan happy.

People will remember Johnson coming on hot at the end of the season and will want to see him get more touches.

People will know Dee Anderson was a highly recruited receiver and will want to see him get more touches.

Then obviously, Tylan Wallace.

But also, Dillon Stoner in the slot.

And then the TE passing game as well.

Oh, and by the way, why aren’t we handing the ball off more to Chuba Hubbard?!

So yeah, inevitably, there are going to be fans that complain that SOMEBODY didn’t get enough touches. My guess is that we’ll see more packages of 10 personnel with Wallace, Anderson, Johnson, and Stoner all on the field together. But that will mean no TE, which again, will piss people off.

We will obviously have 11 personnel packages as well, with Jelani replacing one of the inside receivers...but we don’t like to sub much in order to keep defenses on their toes so it will be interesting to see how we work all of it together.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

People will remember Johnson coming on hot at the end of the season and will want to see him get more touches.

People will know Dee Anderson was a highly recruited receiver and will want to see him get more touches.

So yeah, inevitably, there are going to be fans that complain that SOMEBODY didn’t get enough touches. My guess is that we’ll see more packages of 10 personnel with Wallace, Anderson, Johnson, and Stoner all on the field together. But that will mean no TE, which again, will piss people off.

We will obviously have 11 personnel packages as well, with Jelani replacing one of the inside receivers...but we don’t like to sub much in order to keep defenses on their toes so it will be interesting to see how we work all of it together.
Yup. All.of.this. And we underutilized Jelani last year.

Weapons, weapons, weapons.

They need to reboot NCAA Football for Xbox/PlayStation... Like smurfing tomorrow! :angry::cursing: I want this team roster!

Nov 6, 2010

True, but starting doesn't mean getting the ball. Sanders hasn't exactly shown he can spread the ball around yet, and until I see that change I'll assume more of the same. I really think they'll give Wallace a while to get back to full time starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sit the first two games altogether. If that is the case, I bet they keep Stoner on the outside in his spot, and have Anderson on the other side. Then you can let the others play in the slot and hopefully Sanders will get more confidence in some of the other receivers.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Throwing to the tight end isn't as simple as put a big guy in and toss him the ball. Jelani is quick off the ball and can run well, but doesn't yet have a sense of finding space in the zone. He's also very slow in his breaks. Charlie Kolar isn't a great receiving tight end because he's more athletic than Jelani. It's because he knows exactly where to be against zone coverage and is excellent at keeping smaller players walled off by using his body. Jason Witten got to the Hall of Fame this way. Jelani had 16 catches and 1 TD last year. He’s not good enough yet to get 40 and 8, but 25 and 5 would be great.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
True, but starting doesn't mean getting the ball. Sanders hasn't exactly shown he can spread the ball around yet, and until I see that change I'll assume more of the same. I really think they'll give Wallace a while to get back to full time starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sit the first two games altogether. If that is the case, I bet they keep Stoner on the outside in his spot, and have Anderson on the other side. Then you can let the others play in the slot and hopefully Sanders will get more confidence in some of the other receivers.
Right, by starting I meant simply the “opportunity to get the ball.” Even then, the ball obviously won’t be evenly distributed amongst everyone.

From Sanders, I expect to see some growth in his confidence and thus, better timed balls and less second guessing. I expect to see more deep shots as well.

If Wallace isn’t 100%, obviously don’t play him. But if he is, I think it benefits him to get in early playing time against lesser opponents to warm him up for the conference slate. Maybe sit him after a half of a game if things are out of hand, but I think it’s better for him to test his ACL early.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Sanders needs to release the ball when he sees what WILL happen with the WR route.

He keeps pumping the ball and ends up waiting too long. Often times, if he would have thrown on that first pump, the results would have been better.

I'm still very hopeful about him.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
I would place Dee Anderson as 5th best WR. If he gets more than 300 yards, then we had some significant injuries.

McCray went 19 - 237 and 2 TD's. I would be happy if Dee was able to do that.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I would place Dee Anderson as 5th best WR. If he gets more than 300 yards, then we had some significant injuries.

McCray went 19 - 237 and 2 TD's. I would be happy if Dee was able to do that.
I think you’re going to be wrong on both of those claims.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
I think you’re going to be wrong on both of those claims.
Not sure what you mean by both of those claims.

If you are referencing "5th best WR" as one of my claims. That was only in reference to how I think he stacks up against the field, which is an objective opinion.

Dee will probably finish 4th in yards and play a similar role as McCray. That role will get more yards than Wolf's role. Last year, Wolf had more receptions than McCray, but less yards.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Not sure what you mean by both of those claims.

If you are referencing "5th best WR" as one of my claims. That was only in reference to how I think he stacks up against the field, which is an objective opinion.

Dee will probably finish 4th in yards and play a similar role as McCray. That role will get more yards than Wolf's role. Last year, Wolf had more receptions than McCray, but less yards.
I think he’ll get more than 300 yards and it won’t have anything to do with injuries.

I think he’ll have better stats than McCray, at 237 receiving yards and 2 TDs.