2020 Fall Camp thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Interesting that the Big X is citing "funding concerns" over not playing. Sooooooo $ > Covid? Or are they finally admitting that the risk of dying from a football injury is larger than dying of Covid for a healthy person of that age group. Current stats 360 people under the age of 25 have died Nation wide.

Nov 6, 2010
Interesting that the Big X is citing "funding concerns" over not playing. Sooooooo $ > Covid? Or are they finally admitting that the risk of dying from a football injury is larger than dying of Covid for a healthy person of that age group. Current stats 360 people under the age of 25 have died Nation wide.
I really think the issue was with the crowds in the stadiums not the players so much. At least that is where I see the risk.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I really think the issue was with the crowds in the stadiums not the players so much. At least that is where I see the risk.
I agree with you, but that is NOT how it has been portrayed. it was always "The health of the players" etc etc. I am waaayyyy more worried about a guy like Coach Dickey than I am about one of our athletes

But once they ran the numbers then $$ wins. Or so it would seem

Nov 6, 2010
I agree with you, but that is NOT how it has been portrayed. it was always "The health of the players" etc etc. I am waaayyyy more worried about a guy like Coach Dickey than I am about one of our athletes

But once they ran the numbers then $$ wins. Or so it would seem
Yea, I'm sure because that is where the liability for the universities lies more directly, but I think seeing how well the other conferences are monitoring the players has to have made a difference in their decision. Also the way schools such as OSU are limiting attendance, tailgaiting, etc, has given them a roadmap on how to do it. When I first heard about their plan to play in the dead of winter in domes, I thought that was the dumbest thing they could have done. If fans attend, it has to be in outdoor stadiums.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If BIG only gets in say 7 games and BIG12, SEC, ACC get in 10 games. How does the CFP assume that one of the BIG12, SEC, ACC teams that has one loss may not have had that loss if it didn't have to navagate a 10 game COV season ?

Forget about normal injurys, upsets, etc that come into play with a longer season. The lack of certain players due to COV could cause a loss.

Last edited:

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
The letter that forced their hand. (I have seen "funding concerns" quoted in places, but not in the "official" release)

Leaders of six state legislatures in the Big Ten footprint have sent a letter to Commissioner Kevin Warren asking the conference to reconsider its decision to cancel the fall football season.

The letter is written on the letterhead of Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield and also signed by statehouse leaders from Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

“Recent actions taken by other conferences around the country to start football and other fall sports have placed the Big Ten, its members and students at a disadvantage,” the letter said. “These athletes are losing a vital part of student life and are becoming less marketable to future employers with each passing week. Additionally, our local universities stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars that support vital student scholarships.

Nov 6, 2010
If BIG only gets in say 7 games and BIG12, SEC, ACC get in 10 games. How does the CFP assume that one of the BIG12, SEC, ACC teams that has one loss may not have had that loss if it didn't have to navagate a 10 game COV season ?

Forget about normal injurys, upsets, etc. The lack of certain players could cause a loss.
Eye test.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Only way to fix it to add 4 more teams to the playoff and do it now. That way you "should" catch all schools with a chance.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The letter that forced their hand. (I have seen "funding concerns" quoted in places, but not in the "official" release)

Leaders of six state legislatures in the Big Ten footprint have sent a letter to Commissioner Kevin Warren asking the conference to reconsider its decision to cancel the fall football season.

The letter is written on the letterhead of Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield and also signed by statehouse leaders from Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

“Recent actions taken by other conferences around the country to start football and other fall sports have placed the Big Ten, its members and students at a disadvantage,” the letter said. “These athletes are losing a vital part of student life and are becoming less marketable to future employers with each passing week. Additionally, our local universities stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars that support vital student scholarships.
Sure that's what everyone has been saying, but I thought you were saying that the BIG finally admitted that funding concerns (money) was too important and I don't think that they have still said that.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Sure that's what everyone has been saying, but I thought you were saying that the BIG finally admitted that funding concerns (money) was too important and I don't think that they have still said that.
As I said, I have seen the words in quotes so someone is quoting them directly from somewhere. But it is not in the official release.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Easy, you take ONLY the Power 5 conference champions, as it should be. The conference champ should play the number of games indicated.

1. SEC Conference Champ - 11 games
2. ACC Conference Champ - 12 games
3. B1G Conference Champ - 9 games
4. Big XII Conference Champ - 11 games

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Easy, you take ONLY the Power 5 conference champions, as it should be. The conference champ should play the number of games indicated.

1. SEC Conference Champ - 11 games
2. ACC Conference Champ - 12 games
3. B1G Conference Champ - 9 games
4. Big XII Conference Champ - 11 games
That's how they should do it and hopefully how it ends up. The eye test will probably lead plenty of the talking heads to disagree.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
You are assuming BIG is at 9 games.
My point was with no bye weeks and with their strict COV stance, I think they only get in 7 games.

So BIG 7-0 vs a second place SEC 10-1 ?