2020 election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Where do you stand on the alcohol industry?
My stance is this "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy," until I can stand no more. QUOTE is not mine, but someone else's who I can't think of right now...

Seriously oldguy, I think people who drink need to know the dangers of drinking and that they should know what they are doing (harming their liver, dulling their senses, killing brain cells and that it is harmful to their health and others if they drive) when they drink. I don't really think it's Crown Royal's fault when someone is irresponsible, drinks one to many crown and cokes, get's in his car and kills someone. In fact Crown Royal doesn't go on trial for that, the irresponsible drinker does. Now if they market to kids...or attempt to say they are healthy...that becomes a slightly different story.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This evening in pictures...

Biden supporters in Vegas:
https://twitter.com/hollandcourtney/status/1305366110242394113?s=19

Trump supporters in Vegas:
https://twitter.com/whats_up_phool/status/1305385856786558976?s=19

Trump supporters in Stillwater:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Another pic from the back of the group.
drive45stw.jpg

Dec 9, 2013
My stance is this "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy," until I can stand no more. QUOTE is not mine, but someone else's who I can't think of right now...

Seriously oldguy, I think people who drink need to know the dangers of drinking and that they should know what they are doing (harming their liver, dulling their senses, killing brain cells and that it is harmful to their health and others if they drive) when they drink. I don't really think it's Crown Royal's fault when someone is irresponsible, drinks one to many crown and cokes, get's in his car and kills someone. In fact Crown Royal doesn't go on trial for that, the irresponsible drinker does. Now if they market to kids...or attempt to say they are healthy...that becomes a slightly different story.
Tobacco company makes a product they know causes 500,000 US deaths per yr. They mkt the product to kids to addict them. US govt subsidizes tobacco farmers.

Pharma makes 2 drugs when taken together abort babies. They don’t market to kids. They don’t force anyone to take it.
You are either pro all life or just anti something

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Nice whataboutism. I'm fine putting someone in prison the rest of their life, and being honest about it for some heinous crimes, although I disagree with capitol punishment, I don't lose a lot of sleep over it.

It's a question about compassion and forgiveness. If you say this person deserves to die, then you are expressing neither.
Compassion and Forgiveness do not alleviate someone from the repercussions of their actions. In the case of capital punishment, it's the law that is saying he deserves to die for his actions. And Biblically, the government (Caesar) is given the power of the sword to punish those who do wrong. Taking a life, vs punishing those that take a life.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

How do you feel about fraud in the orange juice industry?

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Based on what evidence do we have that tells us Trump has a high net worth? Take him for his word? Ask any of his 3 wives what that is worth. Should we believe a man and family who are prohibited from running a charity in the st of ny because they agreed to settle that they were operating a fraud? Or how about a man who ran a university that settled for $25,000,000 payout bc it was operating as a scam. Trump is a con. Line up Bolton, Tillerson, Mattis, Kelly, Kasich, Miles Taylor. Look at their record of conservatism and service to this country. To a man. They all have said he can’t be trusted. He has no moral compass. He is not loyal. He lied and people have died.
And Creepy Joe is? He hooked up with the Jillster while she was working on his campaign, he actually did to Ukraine what Trump was accused, his son fleeced Ukraine and China while knocking up a stripper and dating his dead brother's wife, and that's what we know about. There is no moral high ground in this one

Nov 6, 2010
Will Democrat voters even learn about this peace accord. It's barely news even though it's a very big deal.
CNN ran the signing ceremony live. And while I do think this is a very positive step in the right direction, we only managed to get a peace deal signed between 3 countries that have never been at war. And I know the normalizing of relations between any arab country and Israel is a big deal, but I think this just reflects that the arab countries are coming to realize that Israel isn't going anywhere, and they're tired of the palestinians. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://twitter.com/ModDarvasBox/status/1306053253667356673?s=20
Nearly every single mainstream media outlet spent the entire 2016 campaign telling us what a war monger Trump would be. They of course had zero proof of this, it was just another part of the narrative that the media was happy to push.

Fast forward to 2020, I actually saw a Biden commercial promise to increase military spending. Now I imagine that commercial was targeted to red states like Oklahoma and will never air in California.

But the whole thing is actually pretty funny if you think about it. All the accusations by the left and Trump turns out to be as anti war as the Dems have claimed to be since 2004....so of course you see a mini pivot. Now you have generals endorsing Biden and commercials promising more military spending. It's just another example of why politics sucks.

It will be interesting to see if war and peace is mentioned much in the debates or if that topic will be minimized as much as possible.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You're still hedging. Did you know that nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man? You've heard of nicotine, right?
I agree that the tobacco industry downplayed or hid the dangers of smoking. Not going to argue that. But there's a YUGE difference between choosing to do something that harms your own body (smoking, drinking excessively, etc....) but doesn't necessarily kill you versus choosing to do something that immediately and decisively ends another person's life. Nobody forced anyone to smoke, ever, no matter how much data was suppressed or hidden. The same can't be said about the millions who have been aborted with zero choice.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You're still hedging. Did you know that nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man? You've heard of nicotine, right?
Rx - Come on Rx, Is that hyperbole that you are using? I used to smoke in College at bars when I had a beer, used to smoke cigars for a while after that in celebrations. My father also quit cold turkey after smoking for nearly 20 years several Kools a day when he learned of my asthma as a child forty-five years ago. I had no problem putting that habit down on my own without much trouble. If nicotine is the most addictive substance "known to man," how could I or my Dad do that? Is it more addictive than Meth? Look I'm not a fan of that industry, we are in agreement on that...We are just in pretty major disagreement that smoking death is anywhere close to even comparable to abortion on demand. They aren't things aren't in the same Universe (woops that's hyperbole on my party, I'm not immune either, sorry) .

Rx, as believers, I think we both need to be careful in responding to one another and others out of our own "intelligence," because, for both of us, it lacks the love and compassion I KNOW we both have for our fellow man...the internet is a bad way to show Love and compassion when we speak / type under our own power and knowledge (preaching to me and all the other believers, not just you). Maybe I shouldn't have even responded...but I do think this last part is important for all of us believers (i.e. to realize that we really aren't that far apart on life and that we desire all life to not be cut short).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Nearly every single mainstream media outlet spent the entire 2016 campaign telling us what a war monger Trump would be. They of course had zero proof of this, it was just another part of the narrative that the media was happy to push.

Fast forward to 2020, I actually saw a Biden commercial promise to increase military spending. Now I imagine that commercial was targeted to red states like Oklahoma and will never air in California.

But the whole thing is actually pretty funny if you think about it. All the accusations by the left and Trump turns out to be as anti war as the Dems have claimed to be since 2004....so of course you see a mini pivot. Now you have generals endorsing Biden and commercials promising more military spending. It's just another example of why politics sucks.

It will be interesting to see if war and peace is mentioned much in the debates or if that topic will be minimized as much as possible.
Yep the political pandering sucks. Take a platform and stand by that platform. Once again take a platform that can be accomplished, not one that promises everything and delivers nothing.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
ABC News reporting Big Ten will announce season will start Oct 24th
Yeah, you really think Trump had something to do with that? That seems incredibly delusional to me.

The Big 10 saw a couple weeks of football go with few issues and didnt want to be left out. They also have no bye weeks and a 5% team covid threshhold, so there are going to be cancelled games.