2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
So, I've been mulling this over the last few days. I don't want to come across as bitter, because I most certainly am not, but I do think this is a totally valid question.

What do the Cowboys have to do in order to get a top 8 national seed?

Win the Big 12 regular season title? - did it in 2014
Win over 40 games during the regular season? - did it in 2014
Be ranked in the top 8 in a couple of the polls? - did it in 2014
Win the Big 12 Tournament? - did it in 2019
Be in the top 8 in the RPI? - did it in 2019

At this point, it almost feels like the only way to lock one up is be top 8 in the RPI, and win both the regular season and tournament conference titles. Only thing is, that hasn't been what TCU and Texas Tech have had to do over the last 6 years in order to get a top 8 national seed.

Anyway, thoughts?
This is certainly a valid question, but I don't think it's a problem exclusive to OSU. I went back and looked at that 2014 season. Yes, we won the Big 12 regular season, but our non-conference schedule that year was really soft. I don't remember what our exact RPI was, but I can't imagine that it was top-8 with the non-con we played.

This season we had all the right metrics, but I think we were punished because of the 3rd-place finish in the conference. It obviously came down to us and Tech, but because they won the league and swept us during the season, they got the nod.

To me it looks like we just haven't had the right combination yet. If the 2014 team had played a better non-con schedule or the 2019 team had won one or two more games against Tech, then we would have been Top-8.

Josh's recent willingness to schedule a great non-con schedule will only help (as long as you win), but now we need to couple that with top-2 finish in the league.

Dec 21, 2008
Consistency has been bad IMO. We beat ranked conf teams then lose 2 out of 3 to KU or KState or ORU sweeps us. Teams in the top 8 play pretty darn consistent all year. They may have a handful or bad games but even teams like Coastal Carolina or CSF or teams like that man when they are 45-10 it opens eyes. We are constantly hovering around 35/40-18. We don’t look like a top 8 team on paper IMO. I think we strategize more than most teams and use matchups to develop kids and see what they can do while risking a win while others throw their closers vs a below bag team just to secure the win. We try and prepare 3 months down the road not necessarily week 2 in March

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
If we can get the consistent hitting thing figured out, and hopefully we can, we're going into the year with two bonafide weekend starters in Scott and Standlee with a possible third in Stone if he can get the head thing straight. Some really good arms in the bullpen and a legit closer in Leeper.

Hopefully they can put it together early and make some noise for a top seed.

Nov 6, 2010
This is certainly a valid question, but I don't think it's a problem exclusive to OSU. I went back and looked at that 2014 season. Yes, we won the Big 12 regular season, but our non-conference schedule that year was really soft. I don't remember what our exact RPI was, but I can't imagine that it was top-8 with the non-con we played.

This season we had all the right metrics, but I think we were punished because of the 3rd-place finish in the conference. It obviously came down to us and Tech, but because they won the league and swept us during the season, they got the nod.

To me it looks like we just haven't had the right combination yet. If the 2014 team had played a better non-con schedule or the 2019 team had won one or two more games against Tech, then we would have been Top-8.

Josh's recent willingness to schedule a great non-con schedule will only help (as long as you win), but now we need to couple that with top-2 finish in the league.
A nice shiny new stadium won't hurt.