2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Couple of things.

1. Looking at the Game Notes on okstate.com, it looks like Osmond might actually start Friday night, with Scott and Campbell going Saturday and Sunday.

2. Is it just me, or has it been EXTREMELY quiet since practices started in January? We usually see some videos of the coaches talking about the team. There's been literally nothing. Maybe I'm trying too hard to read something into it, but is it possible that Osmond has made a huge jump in consistency since the fall and they know he's already ready for the Friday night lights at the D1 level??? I sure hope so, but again, I'm probably trying too hard to read into something.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Coach Walton had said earlier in the week that it made more sense to start Parker on Saturday so if you had to use bully on Friday you could use them on Sunday again. He did say Osmond was a 1st rd talent and he had touched 96 this fall.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Coach Walton had said earlier in the week that it made more sense to start Parker on Saturday so if you had to use bully on Friday you could use them on Sunday again. He did say Osmond was a 1st rd talent and he had touched 96 this fall.

Thanks.

I really like that philosophy, and I've always been surprised that more pitching coaches don't set up their weekend rotations that way. I'm just a little surprised that we're throwing a freshman on opening night.

Where did you hear this? A radio interview?

Dec 21, 2008
I’ve heard some coaches don’t want to throw their “ace “ early in season so you don’t face another ace and lose a 1-0 type of game. Starting the #2 on Friday helps you stabilize any issues Sat and regain momentum with your #1 going into Sunday.
Bryce definitely has the moxy and smoke. Should be fun to watch if he keeps it in wraps. Just to refresh, we have him/freshmen for 3 yrs minimum correct?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I’ve heard some coaches don’t want to throw their “ace “ early in season so you don’t face another ace and lose a 1-0 type of game. Starting the #2 on Friday helps you stabilize any issues Sat and regain momentum with your #1 going into Sunday.
Bryce definitely has the moxy and smoke. Should be fun to watch if he keeps it in wraps. Just to refresh, we have him/freshmen for 3 yrs minimum correct?

Yes, 3 years minimum for most who go play 4 year college ball out of HS. Sometimes, due to age, players can go in the draft after their sophomore years, like Jonathan Heasley did.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
yes that is correct

Nov 14, 2010
Couple of things.

1. Looking at the Game Notes on okstate.com, it looks like Osmond might actually start Friday night, with Scott and Campbell going Saturday and Sunday.

2. Is it just me, or has it been EXTREMELY quiet since practices started in January? We usually see some videos of the coaches talking about the team. There's been literally nothing. Maybe I'm trying too hard to read something into it, but is it possible that Osmond has made a huge jump in consistency since the fall and they know he's already ready for the Friday night lights at the D1 level??? I sure hope so, but again, I'm probably trying too hard to read into something.
Saw him pitch the other day and he looked like a different pitcher to me

It made me think he was at 75% or so in the Fall, and is now full throttle

We'll see how he does against someone else.

Parker looked ridiculous his last outing in intrasquads.

#gopokes

Dec 21, 2008
RW said he is a first rounder. To say that about a freshman with no experience (even though projected top 3 rounder) this early in the year is NUTS! Lets freakin go!!!!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Going to be a good test out of the gate. Guy we are facing tonight was 11-1 with a 2.16 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, casual fans need to understand we're going up against very good competition during these 4 games in AZ. Grand Canyon's coach has slowly been building a very good program, and they've sold out these games already, so our guys are stepping into a hornet's nest. Very good early tests. And, of course, Holliday's teams almost always start slow. With all the new faces we have this year, I would expect more of the same. This is our spring training, I'm just interested to see how we develop and gel and what we look like around mid March or early April.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Yes, casual fans need to understand we're going up against very good competition during these 4 games in AZ. Grand Canyon's coach has slowly been building a very good program, and they've sold out these games already, so our guys are stepping into a hornet's nest. Very good early tests. And, of course, Holliday's teams almost always start slow. With all the new faces we have this year, I would expect more of the same. This is our spring training, I'm just interested to see how we develop and gel and what we look like around mid March or early April.
I was about to post the same thing. They also have a dude who hit .341 with 11HR, and as a team won 36 games. GCU is not a name team, but they will be a challenge.