2019 Oklahoma Republican Platform Released!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
If you're a Christian Right extremist, then this document is quite a great piece of work for you. For starters, they believe the military should return to the "ask don't tell policy." However, the most surprising thing about the platform is that no mention was made about being opposed to legalization of rec marijuana.

https://newsok.com/article/5628024/...kf9W8GigEBCsu1CFuu4BeZCbN9MBskty6yxXkR2RxYir0

2019 Oklahoma Republican Party Platform Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fi-nSawLgQh23HQW6L2cP5CYVSnvPuS5/view?ts=5caaab22

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I think you can drop the "Christian right wing extremist" bigoted attacks right now, since that is NORMAL for those identifying as Republican (nationally, not just OK, and not just Christian)

Democrats are more than twice as likely as Republicans (83% vs. 37%, respectively) to say that transgender people ought to be allowed to serve in the armed forces. A majority (57%) of Republicans say they should not be allowed to serve in the military.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
"
"We support strict adherence to the law that requires that a majority of the nine member Board of Regents for the Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College ("OSU") be actively engaged in farming or ranching."

- why? OSU is a modern institution of higher education that is more actively engaged in the advancement of sciences and mathematics. Requiring a majority of the members of the board of regents to be involved in farming or ranching would likely put the university at a disadvantage compared to other universities in the region. Why is there not a similar stipulation on OU that a majority of their board live in a trailer? This is a shot at OSU by what must be primarily OU leadership in the state party.

This. Big time. I had the same complaint 30 years ago. At that time about 9% of our students were Ag majors of some kind. Not to sound snobbish, but it's time for the state to stop treating us as the cow college up the road.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I think you can drop the "Christian right wing extremist" bigoted attacks right now, since that is NORMAL for those identifying as Republican (nationally, not just OK, and not just Christian)

Democrats are more than twice as likely as Republicans (83% vs. 37%, respectively) to say that transgender people ought to be allowed to serve in the armed forces. A majority (57%) of Republicans say they should not be allowed to serve in the military.
I"ll call a spade a spade. Do you not know that Oklahoma SB13 is seen as so Christian right extremist that it won't even be granted so much as a committee hearing? It bans all abortion. No exceptions allowed.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Oklahoma State is the state's land grant college, that farming thing isn't going away.
Well. It should. With the current turmoil in Norman we have an opportunity to overtake them academically and if our board of regents could prioritize beyond agricultural research (which should absolutely still be a priority... Just not the priority).

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Oklahoma State is the state's land grant college, that farming thing isn't going away.
Maybe so, but it has been 130 years since we were established as such. It's almost like saying Cal Berkley is a gold rush university.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We haven't always been known to have forward thinking regents. There's room for both and to be honest they haven't kept up the ag research at the level of land grant colleges

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
If you're a Christian Right extremist...
Thank God the absolute vast majority (like literally ALL.OF.THEM) of Christians in Oklahoma are just plain Jane, run-of-the-mill, conservative Christians.

Psssssst... also, don't anybody tell Townie, but there's actually a thriving population of moderate liberal Christians in Oklahoma as well (that are pro-life and pro-traditional marriage). Lets just keep this between us though. ;)

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
This. Big time. I had the same complaint 30 years ago. At that time about 9% of our students were Ag majors of some kind. Not to sound snobbish, but it's time for the state to stop treating us as the cow college up the road.
on the other hand.... if OSU (and the Regents) are not going to stand up for Agriculture in the State, then who is? It is actually the job and the role of OSU, I think, based on the founding.

I don't really see any problem with requiring many of the board members to have a first hand understanding of Ag.

which is not the same as what you guys seem to suggest, that the other disciplines would be neglected, or be less important.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Thank God the absolute vast majority (like literally ALL.OF.THEM) of Christians in Oklahoma are just plain Jane, run-of-the-mill, conservative Christians.

Psssssst... also, don't anybody tell Townie, but there's actually a thriving population of moderate liberal Christians in Oklahoma as well (that are pro-life and pro-traditional marriage). Lets just keep this between us though. ;)
shhh... and don't let him know that most of the Catholics and Jews in Ok. are democrats... we don't want him suspecting that Judaeo/Christian values might actually have some influence on many of the democrats in the State.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
There’s also the millions and millions patents from the ag sciences have generated for the school...

Not to mention all the good the school of ag provides for the state’s ag industry....being the cow college up the road is a source of pride for those who really know what’s going on.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Technically they are supposed to fire teachers that go on strike. That law was passed by the Democrats in the 1970's
Good thing the teachers weren't on strike... ;) At least not in the same terms as what that law prohibits. All of the teachers that participated did so with the support of their district admin (except for Western Heights who basically told their teachers if they participated any longer they'd be fired.)

Jul 20, 2018
Good thing the teachers weren't on strike... ;) At least not in the same terms as what that law prohibits. All of the teachers that participated did so with the support of their district admin (except for Western Heights who basically told their teachers if they participated any longer they'd be fired.)
I would define that as collusion.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I would define that as collusion.
But it's not a strike and their contract was still met.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk