2018 Thunder Offseason

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
They can't stop it. Chris Paul trade to the Lakers was blocked ONLY because the NBA officially owned the Pelicans(Hornets) at the time. Just gonna have to get better.

If it makes you feel better we pay Kyle Singler $4.9mil a year to sit on the bench in a suite and contemplate whatever the hell is in his head.
"I think I got my ponytail to tight, why can't I have hair like Adams?" Kyle Singler Thought life

Oct 30, 2007
Having a starting lineup with 5 all-stars completely devalues winning a championship. Hopefully this isn't a trend we see continued.

Seeing this happen really makes you appreciate the greatness that was Michael Jordan. The Bulls had two great players, one great defender/rebounder, and some really good roll players. I can't imagine what it would've been like if Jordan would've left the Bulls early in his career to join a contender.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I just hate the Warriors.

Dec 19, 2012
I saw the Thunder would save $91 million in luxury tax if they stretch Melo over the three year max. If they do that it will give salary hits this year and the next two years of $9 million, thus limiting future flexibility.

The thing I think people forget is that Melo would appove a trade as long as a cheaper team agrees to buy him out (this can be done later in the year), and it would free the Thunder of the full amount of his contract saving over $100 million with repeater tax. It also allows Melo to sign with anyone not named Thunder or the team that cuts him.

The other benefit of waiting is that Melo's worth is rock bottom right now, so you might as well see if he can increase his stock unless you need money space to sign a Free Agent.

Singler's two year deal would be a huge savings with almost $5 mil over two years too.
I projext the Thunder to be around $160 mil toward cap with all the salaries included, and the luxury line is $123.7 mil. Melo's contract is $27.9 and Singler's right under $5 mil. If they can unload both their salary would be around $128 million, within $5ish mil of luxury line.

Thunder RE-Sign Raymond Felton. Still have MLE $5.3mil.
Nice, I wouldn't mind Isiaah Thomas off the bench as the primary scorer, his defense could hide with that unit.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I saw the Thunder would save $91 million in luxury tax if they stretch Melo over the three year max. If they do that it will give salary hits this year and the next two years of $9 million, thus limiting future flexibility.

The thing I think people forget is that Melo would appove a trade as long as a cheaper team agrees to buy him out (this can be done later in the year), and it would free the Thunder of the full amount of his contract saving over $100 million with repeater tax. It also allows Melo to sign with anyone not named Thunder or the team that cuts him.

The other benefit of waiting is that Melo's worth is rock bottom right now, so you might as well see if he can increase his stock unless you need money space to sign a Free Agent.

Singler's two year deal would be a huge savings with almost $5 mil over two years too.
I projext the Thunder to be around $160 mil toward cap with all the salaries included, and the luxury line is $123.7 mil. Melo's contract is $27.9 and Singler's right under $5 mil. If they can unload both their salary would be around $128 million, within $5ish mil of luxury line.

Nice, I wouldn't mind Isiaah Thomas off the bench as the primary scorer, his defense could hide with that unit.
He's going to Orlando last I saw.

I think from remaining available guys this is a list of best bets and 1 I wish witht he MLE($5.3mil). Remember next to no one has money right now so it's competitive.

1. I wish. Jamal Crawford
2. Wayne Ellington
3. Michael Beasley
4. Probably should be 4 Mbah ah Moute
5. Trevor Booker
6. Shabbaz Muhammad
7. Aaron Aflalo
8. Aaron Harrison
9. Rodney Hood(he'd be higher but he's restricted free agent Cleveland would match anyway)
10. Jordan Crawford
11. Corey Brewer

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
So 3 games into Summer League...

1. T-Ferg is still struggling
2. Daniel Hamilton, PJ Dozier, Hamidou Diallo, and Deonte Burton look ready to play
3. Dakari Johnson still has 2inch vertical, but he's big
4. Roberson said he should be back for training camp and has been doing a lot of work on his shooting.

Dec 19, 2012
Melo has waived his NO TRADE clause. Thunder are seeking trades for him to a team that will dump him, and Houston is likely place he ends up.
I saw Lin got traded from Nets to Hawks. He was in Thunder/Nets discussion, hopefully the Thunder can find a Melo trade partner so his salary doesn't hinder our future.

Isiaah Thomas signed a $2mil ver min with Denver. I wish we had him off the bench, so he could provide a scoring boost for that unit. Wayne Ellington signed with MIA too. The market is drying up for FAs.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I saw Lin got traded from Nets to Hawks. He was in Thunder/Nets discussion, hopefully the Thunder can find a Melo trade partner so his salary doesn't hinder our future.

Isiaah Thomas signed a $2mil ver min with Denver. I wish we had him off the bench, so he could provide a scoring boost for that unit. Wayne Ellington signed with MIA too. The market is drying up for FAs.
Jamal Crawford and Michael Beasley are still available. There are other places trades are possible, but I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope there. We'll see.

Oct 30, 2007
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ny-atlanta-hawks-dennis-schroder-mike-muscala
The Thunder have traded Carmelo Anthony and a protected 1st round pick in a 3-way deal with the Hawks & 76ers. The Thunder will receive Dennis Scrhoder from the Hawks & Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot from the 76ers.

I'm not that familiar with either player, but Schroder looks like a really good young prospect. He's only 24 and he led the Hawks in scoring last season at 19.4 PPG and assists at 6.2 APG. He should be a great backup point guard and a spark plug off the bench.

This looks like a great trade on the surface. I thought they might just buy Melo out and get nothing in return.

Dec 19, 2012
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ny-atlanta-hawks-dennis-schroder-mike-muscala
The Thunder have traded Carmelo Anthony and a protected 1st round pick in a 3-way deal with the Hawks & 76ers. The Thunder will receive Dennis Scrhoder from the Hawks & Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot from the 76ers.

I'm not that familiar with either player, but Schroder looks like a really good young prospect. He's only 24 and he led the Hawks in scoring last season at 19.4 PPG and assists at 6.2 APG. He should be a great backup point guard and a spark plug off the bench.

This looks like a great trade on the surface. I thought they might just buy Melo out and get nothing in return.
It's an awesome deal for the Thunder. It adds speed and scoring to a revamped bench unit that now has Nerlens Noel to go with Abrines, Ferguson, and Patterson (Felton at times too).
I'm very surprised the Thunder took on the extra salary. They are essentially paying the difference of Melo's stretch and the two new players salaries, roughly $9 million plus luxury taxes.
Might be closer to $7 mil- here's the luxury difference too:

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
I think Presti did very well with what he had to work with. I truly think he could’ve put the screws to Anthony since he’s too proud to come off the bench, but the important thing is he got rid of him. Plus, it’s a very player-friendly move that free agents etc can appreciate. He didn’t screw Carmelo over, and I think that was the easiest route.

Schroder is a very nice addition, but will end up being a trade chip further down the road, IMO. Felton did very well, and when injuries hit (unless it’s Westbrook), Dennis will probably be the guy most teams could settle on. He’s fast with the ball, and can score in bunches.

Mainly though, dumping Anthony and saving 70?million in taxes is crazy impressive. Adding Grant long-term, Noel, Schroder, plus a couple more defensive athletes as prospects means Presti has done a good job once again. This looks like a playoff team that can actually beat teams like the Jazz now. Carmelo was so lame in every aspect other than scoring that they improved vastly by giving his minutes to Grant/Noel/Roberson/Patterson/PG13, however they run the rotation. It’s not the best offseason in the nba lakers/Warriors, but it’s Top 5. If Carmelo ends up in Houston, then Presti did even better. Anthony and Mikey D at it again? Awesome poison pill he just slid into their mug.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I actually think Patterson will start. With Grant in the starting lineup with Roberson it would leave George as the only real shooter starting out. Patterson fits better to stretch the floor. Now that doesn't mean Grant wouldn't get more or equal playing time.

I don't think they are done. They still have some spots to fill and I am eager to see what they choose to do.

Donovan made it clear during Summer League we want to be a more up and down team with a lot of ball movement. This is the best hope of seeing Grant start, but with Schroder the 2nd unit can really move as well.

Should be interesting.

Dec 19, 2012
I actually think Patterson will start. With Grant in the starting lineup with Roberson it would leave George as the only real shooter starting out. Patterson fits better to stretch the floor. Now that doesn't mean Grant wouldn't get more or equal playing time.

I don't think they are done. They still have some spots to fill and I am eager to see what they choose to do.

Donovan made it clear during Summer League we want to be a more up and down team with a lot of ball movement. This is the best hope of seeing Grant start, but with Schroder the 2nd unit can really move as well.

Should be interesting.
I think they start Grant. Westbrook, Roberson, George, Grant, and Adams may be the best D unit in the league. Westbrook and George are elite scorers, while feeding Adams is an option, and they will try to develop Grant's 3 ball. Grant and Adams both crash the D board hard for putbacks. The alley oop game should be great with those two as well. Grant offers shot blocking on the starter teak we haven't had since Ibaka's prime.

I think the clear delineation of scoring roles without Melo may give Westbrook and George an instant boost too.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I think they start Grant. Westbrook, Roberson, George, Grant, and Adams may be the best D unit in the league. Westbrook and George are elite scorers, while feeding Adams is an option, and they will try to develop Grant's 3 ball. Grant and Adams both crash the D board hard for putbacks. The alley oop game should be great with those two as well. Grant offers shot blocking on the starter teak we haven't had since Ibaka's prime.

I think the clear delineation of scoring roles without Melo may give Westbrook and George an instant boost too.
I understand what you are saying. Run and gun needs athletes that can move, but when you get into the half court, PG can't be your only floor spacer. Patterson fills that roll for us. Adams can expand his shooting as well. He has the ability, but has said the offense doesn't call for it. Interesting to see how they do what they say they want to do. I know Russ has been working very hard on his shooting this summer.

Also, I don't necessarily think they are done making moves.