2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
Word is WVU may hire Tim Flynn(???) from edinburgh.
Never heard of it but its in pa and maybe he has ins with high school coaches and could recruit. dunno.

rather pay big and steal an established coach from PSU.

Mar 23, 2013
Never heard of it but its in pa and maybe he has ins with high school coaches and could recruit. dunno.

Tim Flynn has done a great job at Edinboro and should be able to recruit PA very well. That would seem to be a big advantage for WVU. I think they have made a good hire. For the Big 12, this may help.

Edit: I should have said, if they make this hire.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

Uhh... Edinboro has been a lot more relevant than WVU over the past several years in wrestling. Hiring their coach would be a good move.

And there are a lot of options out there that would be as good or better than one of the assistants at Penn State.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
PFB is down. Otherwise I'd link my write up on it, but they are working on raising money for a new one. Supposed to be where the practice field was. No idea on timelines, funding, etc...

Personal opinion on Holder is he does a good job, but when it comes to wrestling I think he's looked at it from the angle most other fans seem to. "We've always been good there, so why should they need any $" so the focus was baseball, soccer, tennis, etc... and now after 12 years of not winning titles they're realizing there's more to it than just a bunch of tradition and now they're trying to fix some of those areas we've been lacking in.
Just throwing it out there. Holder says something pretty similar here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=7c0Jp3BNc-0
Can’t “Like” this enough. Our wrestling facilities and fan support need to mirror the excellence of our program. It wouldn’t take much to be back as King of the Hill but something does need to be done sooner than later......

Sep 9, 2013
Uhh... Edinboro has been a lot more relevant than WVU over the past several years in wrestling. Hiring their coach would be a good move.

And there are a lot of options out there that would be as good or better than one of the assistants at Penn State.
I wasnt talking about one of the assistants. not sure PSU would match WVU if we doubled his salary.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I wasnt talking about one of the assistants. not sure PSU would match WVU if we doubled his salary.
I would think Ped State has the budget, and the desire to keep the dynasty rolling, they would be tough to out bid.

Sep 9, 2013
Flynn will become WVU’s ninth wrestling coach after spending the past 21 years building the Fighting Scots into one of the nation’s top programs. With a 223-95-5 career record at Edinboro, he is the school’s all-time winningest coach and a member of its Hall of Fame.
“I’m excited, this is a blessing for me,” Flynn said. “It came at a great time. West Virginia is a sleeping giant located in a great spot for wrestling as well as a great conference. I’m excited and ready to get started.”
During his Edinboro tenure, Flynn coached 150 national qualifiers, 38 All-Americans, 64 Eastern Wrestling League champions and 97 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference champions. He led the Fighting Scots to five top-10 finishes at the NCAA Wrestling Championships, 14 top-20 finishes and 18 top-25 finishes.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Flynn will become WVU’s ninth wrestling coach after spending the past 21 years building the Fighting Scots into one of the nation’s top programs. With a 223-95-5 career record at Edinboro, he is the school’s all-time winningest coach and a member of its Hall of Fame.
“I’m excited, this is a blessing for me,” Flynn said. “It came at a great time. West Virginia is a sleeping giant located in a great spot for wrestling as well as a great conference. I’m excited and ready to get started.”
During his Edinboro tenure, Flynn coached 150 national qualifiers, 38 All-Americans, 64 Eastern Wrestling League champions and 97 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference champions. He led the Fighting Scots to five top-10 finishes at the NCAA Wrestling Championships, 14 top-20 finishes and 18 top-25 finishes.
IMO, this is nothing but good for the b12 and by extension the Cowboys, hope he carries through his prior success.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
IMO, this is nothing but good for the b12 and by extension the Cowboys, hope he carries through his prior success.
I just wonder what kind of cash they had to pay Flynn to leave Edinboro? Had to have been a lot to get him to leave a school he'd been at for 20 years?

Good to see they're committed to wrestling. They're definitely putting some cash into it. They built a brand new room up there a few years ago.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I just wonder what kind of cash they had to pay Flynn to leave Edinboro? Had to have been a lot to get him to leave a school he'd been at for 20 years?

Good to see they're committed to wrestling. They're definitely putting some cash into it. They built a brand new room up there a few years ago.
It's all the money they saved by passing on Cael.

:cool:

Sep 9, 2013
Flynn has a four-year contract with the Mountaineers that pays him $160,000 annually. He's already hired Port and Cliff Moore from his Edinboro staff. Moore won an NCAA title at Iowa and spent 12 seasons as Flynn's assistant. Port was a two-time NCAA runner-up at Edinboro and helped the team finish third, a program-best, at the 2015 national meet. Thee three of them quickly appreciate WVU's spot in the Big 12 and what Flynn called "state-of-the-art, top-of-the-food-chain" facilities, and Flynn mentioned again and again the array of majors he can now discuss with prospects.
It seemed to Flynn like he had a few conversations with recruits about majors every year that ended with him telling the wrestler Edinboro probably wouldn't work.
"The pitch is easier here," he said.
Flynn will now pitch to more wrestlers in a recruiting area he reveres.
"I think, in my order, it's Western Pennsylvania and then that pocket around Allentown and then the Cleveland area," he said. "Those areas are really good and really big areas.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Flynn has a four-year contract with the Mountaineers that pays him $160,000 annually. He's already hired Port and Cliff Moore from his Edinboro staff. Moore won an NCAA title at Iowa and spent 12 seasons as Flynn's assistant. Port was a two-time NCAA runner-up at Edinboro and helped the team finish third, a program-best, at the 2015 national meet. Thee three of them quickly appreciate WVU's spot in the Big 12 and what Flynn called "state-of-the-art, top-of-the-food-chain" facilities, and Flynn mentioned again and again the array of majors he can now discuss with prospects.
It seemed to Flynn like he had a few conversations with recruits about majors every year that ended with him telling the wrestler Edinboro probably wouldn't work.
"The pitch is easier here," he said.
Flynn will now pitch to more wrestlers in a recruiting area he reveres.
"I think, in my order, it's Western Pennsylvania and then that pocket around Allentown and then the Cleveland area," he said. "Those areas are really good and really big areas.
Yeah the key for him is going to be to keep those Pittsburgh area kids from going outside of the region. Outside of Penn State, WVU is probably the best thing for them if they want to stay close to home. Pitt's facilities aren't great, which is why Flynn didn't take that job last season (plus I guess he didn't want to eat shit?)

It's a great hire. Hope WVU fans are excited about it.

Sep 9, 2013
is 160k 4 year guaranteed on par with top coaches in that sport?

WVU has also spent a small fortune on baseball with damn little to show for it.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What do we pay Smith BTW?

*Edit. I found my googler...

For anyone interested, last year $312,000.