2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Attendance I understand. But I don't know why are facilities would be lacking. I really don't know what "facilities" means when it comes to wrestling. Not trying to be a smart ***, but I wrestled in high school and the facilities were 4 walls and a mat. Now before anyone dog piles me I know major college is a long way from high school but I would think facilities would be largely the weight room they share with football, which is pretty impressive. If there is anything lacking for the program I would hope we have enough old timer alumni wrestling fans who would raise hell.
Don't you think the recruiting for football improved when the facilities improved? That's the big thing with the wrestling facilities. How it impacts recruiting. When you show a guy around the program and the room sucks that's not good. The room at OSU is smaller, older, and worse than just about every other big program. Hell there are HS programs with a better room.

The other aspect is just room to work. Not as big a factor as recruiting IMO. If you're wrestling a live match in practice and bumping into other guys constantly it makes it awkward and tougher to wrestle matches in practice that are comparative to your regular matches. If you're in a live go and scrambling, which is a good real world practice, then bump into 2 HWT's that if they fall on you will probably break your leg you're probably going to stop in fear of your life and they'll also probably stop to avoid killing you. That's not good to have that issue because you need to wrestle out that stuff in practice to be able to do it in real matches. The room at OSU is small and that really is an issue there.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Don't you think the recruiting for football improved when the facilities improved? That's the big thing with the wrestling facilities. How it impacts recruiting. When you show a guy around the program and the room sucks that's not good. The room at OSU is smaller, older, and worse than just about every other big program. Hell there are HS programs with a better room.

The other aspect is just room to work. Not as big a factor as recruiting IMO. If you're wrestling a live match in practice and bumping into other guys constantly it makes it awkward and tougher to wrestle matches in practice that are comparative to your regular matches. If you're in a live go and scrambling, which is a good real world practice, then bump into 2 HWT's that if they fall on you will probably break your leg you're probably going to stop in fear of your life and they'll also probably stop to avoid killing you. That's not good to have that issue because you need to wrestle out that stuff in practice to be able to do it in real matches. The room at OSU is small and that really is an issue there.
It surprises me to hear this. I know it's been a while since the GIA upgrade but at the time I understood we did a huge upgrade for wrestling too. Of course we were upgrading from something medieval prior to that. I would think Holder could respect the history of our program enough to support it.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
It surprises me to hear this. I know it's been a while since the GIA upgrade but at the time I understood we did a huge upgrade for wrestling too. Of course we were upgrading from something medieval prior to that. I would think Holder could respect the history of our program enough to support it.
PFB is down. Otherwise I'd link my write up on it, but they are working on raising money for a new one. Supposed to be where the practice field was. No idea on timelines, funding, etc...

Personal opinion on Holder is he does a good job, but when it comes to wrestling I think he's looked at it from the angle most other fans seem to. "We've always been good there, so why should they need any $" so the focus was baseball, soccer, tennis, etc... and now after 12 years of not winning titles they're realizing there's more to it than just a bunch of tradition and now they're trying to fix some of those areas we've been lacking in.

Dec 21, 2008
I use to be a student athletic trainer 10yrs ahi and was there during the peak and right when it plummeted with missed recruiting classes which has led us to this current situation. I am friends with Coleman and Neil at UNC. Guess what, those 2 have been all over the community and twitter begging for support and recruiting their tales off. These young guns know how to get stuff done. I respect JS and everything he has done but we need a new vision and new blood. I would love for us to approach Burroughs and see his interest? These teens watch these global celebrities. Having a celebrity in the room sells kids. We have Perry Caldwell (originally a Sooner and Esposito.) not quite the all star recruiting cast I would look at when looking at Iowa PsU OSU etc. recruiting is all about the sales pitch.

PSU- all the momentum
OSU- Snyder and several natl placers
Iowa- 8k attendance, tradition
NCSt- great new coach OsU alum building a program, his kids competed tough
OSU- ZERO MARKETING, Boring duals, have lost ALL momentum

It’s embarrassing where we are at. Yes Daton and a couple others will help turn the tide a little bit but we have definitively lost our “wrestling brand”

Sep 24, 2011
Our home wrestling schedule is terrible. Our attendance is decent when we bring in the top teams. And all the excuses in the world cannot hide the fact that our wrestlers lack toughness and heart.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Our home wrestling schedule is terrible. Our attendance is decent when we bring in the top teams. And all the excuses in the world cannot hide the fact that our wrestlers lack toughness and heart.
All you do is sit behind a keyboard and bitch and moan about every OSU athlete and coach. I would like to see what kind of toughness or heart you have in real life. Chances are it's a tiny percentage compared to those guys that step on the mat, court, or field for OSU.

Fortunately they don't give a shit about your very worthless opinion. Just like most on this board.

Poke-Vet17

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2016
Stillwater
If you missed Nickal and Martin at 184, I feel sorry for you. Missing out on Bo is the biggest mistake for OSU recruiting possibly ever IMHO (limited knowledge of other OK/TX recruits we missed on).

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
PFB is down. Otherwise I'd link my write up on it, but they are working on raising money for a new one. Supposed to be where the practice field was. No idea on timelines, funding, etc...

Personal opinion on Holder is he does a good job, but when it comes to wrestling I think he's looked at it from the angle most other fans seem to. "We've always been good there, so why should they need any $" so the focus was baseball, soccer, tennis, etc... and now after 12 years of not winning titles they're realizing there's more to it than just a bunch of tradition and now they're trying to fix some of those areas we've been lacking in.
Why has penn st done so well, coaching is part of it but here’s the real story.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...nning-finances-at-nittany-lion-wrestling-club
BTW that’s their club financials

Also for those wondering about wrestling facilities (I know you and a few others know) if you all are really interested just do an image search for psu wrestling facilities and then do one for Oklahoma State wrestling, I think it will answer your questions and it might surprise most who are asking.

Last edited:

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
If you missed Nickal and Martin at 184, I feel sorry for you. Missing out on Bo is the biggest mistake for OSU recruiting possibly ever IMHO (limited knowledge of other OK/TX recruits we missed on).
If you want a real punch in the gut, listen to Nickal's interview after wrapping up the team title. "If you come to Penn State you win team titles, that's what we do". A true statement in the current reality and the sickening part is that used to be us. PSU is the Alabama Football of wrestling right now. We need to dethrone them in the next couple of years or it may not get turned around. Even tOSU couldn't do it with their best and most massively Senior laden team. PSU is young and loaded!

If we can properly place Fix and Gfeller in the right weights to where we can still make good use of Brock and/or Nick (not sure how) and make ourselves competitive in the other weights we have a shot. Our guys have to learn and be coached to wrestle more aggressively. PSU scores huge numbers of bonus points. To beat them we have to do the same. We will not overcome them with 3-2 victories.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
If you want a real punch in the gut, listen to Nickal's interview after wrapping up the team title. "If you come to Penn State you win team titles, that's what we do". A true statement in the current reality and the sickening part is that used to be us. PSU is the Alabama Football of wrestling right now. We need to dethrone them in the next couple of years or it may not get turned around. Even tOSU couldn't do it with their best and most massively Senior laden team. PSU is young and loaded!

If we can properly place Fix and Gfeller in the right weights to where we can still make good use of Brock and/or Nick (not sure how) and make ourselves competitive in the other weights we have a shot. Our guys have to learn and be coached to wrestle more aggressively. PSU scores huge numbers of bonus points. To beat them we have to do the same. We will not overcome them with 3-2 victories.
As @CTeamPoke has stated repeatedly, the gap is not as insurmountable as it may seem.
Using a rough average of points per placement from this years tournament this is a decent look at next year for Smith & squad, iow this is my way too early ncaa wrestling prediction for next year, I don't think I'm being overly optimistic here most of these are where a lot of the experts would place them, also Fix and Gfeller are the #1&2 ranked rs freshman in the country, Gfeller is actually #1.
wt Name Pl Pts Option
125 Fix 1 23 Pic
133 Brock 4 17 Fix / Pic
141 Gfeller 5 11 Brock
149 Boo 7 9 Martinez / Gfeller
157 Rogers 5 11 Smith / Martinez
165 Smith 2 20 Rogers
174 Smith 5 11 Rogers
184 Witlake np 2 Moore
197 Weigel 2 20
285 White 6 8
Total 132

Brock has finished 4th already, Martinez & Lewallen have both finished 8th, Joe Smith has finished 4th twice the 2 newcomers are key and if the kid from Oregon is ready then 184 tightens up considerably. Incredibly the Pokes are going to have some pretty good (ie past aa's) not in the starting lineup next year.

This is all obviously health dependent - but it means that to climb the last rung, you need to stay healthy and get something from 184.

Last edited:

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I use to be a student athletic trainer 10yrs ahi and was there during the peak and right when it plummeted with missed recruiting classes which has led us to this current situation. I am friends with Coleman and Neil at UNC. Guess what, those 2 have been all over the community and twitter begging for support and recruiting their tales off. These young guns know how to get stuff done. I respect JS and everything he has done but we need a new vision and new blood. I would love for us to approach Burroughs and see his interest? These teens watch these global celebrities. Having a celebrity in the room sells kids. We have Perry Caldwell (originally a Sooner and Esposito.) not quite the all star recruiting cast I would look at when looking at Iowa PsU OSU etc. recruiting is all about the sales pitch.

PSU- all the momentum
OSU- Snyder and several natl placers
Iowa- 8k attendance, tradition
NCSt- great new coach OsU alum building a program, his kids competed tough
OSU- ZERO MARKETING, Boring duals, have lost ALL momentum

It’s embarrassing where we are at. Yes Daton and a couple others will help turn the tide a little bit but we have definitively lost our “wrestling brand”
Within maybe 2 months of hiring Perry and Caldwell they flipped 2 of the top recruits in the country. One that was committed to PSU and one to Minnesota. John may not be the young blood you’re talking about with the energy to get out and recruit, but he is the wrestling celebrity you’re describing and the pitch coming from Perry and Caldwell seemed to work with those 2 and I’m sure will with others

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Within maybe 2 months of hiring Perry and Caldwell they flipped 2 of the top recruits in the country. One that was committed to PSU and one to Minnesota. John may not be the young blood you’re talking about with the energy to get out and recruit, but he is the wrestling celebrity you’re describing and the pitch coming from Perry and Caldwell seemed to work with those 2 and I’m sure will with others
Issac Jordan helps too, I'm sure. Would be nice if he could get his cousins to come train at the Cowboy Wrestling Club with him.

That's another thing... If Derek Fix needs help fundraising for CWC, we need to step up and help him.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
Chris Bono has officially left South Dakota State for Wisconsin, what a massive blow to their program which was really on the rise. This conference was already a disaster and it's only going to be worse now. We need to form an alliance with the 6 ACC teams like we should have last year instead of adding the bunch of garbage programs that we did

Nov 8, 2013
Chris Bono has officially left South Dakota State for Wisconsin, what a massive blow to their program which was really on the rise. This conference was already a disaster and it's only going to be worse now. We need to form an alliance with the 6 ACC teams like we should have last year instead of adding the bunch of garbage programs that we did
I hope they can hire well off the momentum they have developed.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU fired henson. Had high hopes when he was hired. he recruited a top 5 class one year, but they all left.
Great technique guy, but apparently abrasive personality.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
WVU fired henson. Had high hopes when he was hired. he recruited a top 5 class one year, but they all left.
Great technique guy, but apparently abrasive personality.
He didn't capitalize on being as close to Pittsburgh as he is. Western PA is pretty much the hottest wrestling prep region... and West Virginia wasn't able to get guys to Morgantown in spite of it being so close... frankly it was probably due to lack of effort by Henson.

If I'm West Virginia, my first call is to Cary Kolat. He grew up just north of the WV border. Has been doing big things at Campbell.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012

Just throwing it out there. Holder says something pretty similar here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=7c0Jp3BNc-0