2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
NCAA Wrestling tourney starts tomorrow, here is the basic tv info.

Live stream: WatchESPN (all mats for all rounds).
Tournament schedule: All times Central, TV channel for each round noted:

DAY 1, THURSDAY, MARCH 15:
Session 1 (first round): 11 a.m., ESPNU
Session 2 (second round and wrestlebacks): 6 p.m., ESPN

DAY 2, FRIDAY, MARCH 16:
Session 3 (quarterfinals and wrestlebacks): 10 a.m., ESPNU
Session 4 (semifinals and wrestlebacks): 7 p.m., ESPN

DAY 3, SATURDAY, MARCH 17:
Session 5 (wrestlebacks and placement bouts): 10 a.m., ESPNU
Session 6 (national finals): 7 p.m., ESPN2

Here is a link to where you can find the full bracket:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling...-ncaa-announces-bracket-selections-division-i

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
My very brief comments on the tournament:

Overall, our wrestlers are seeded where they should be, no real complaints.

We ended up with 4 of our wrestlers with 8/9 seeds, so likely facing the #1 seed Friday morning.

I think Picc and Heil got fairly decent draws. The majority of lanky guys that give Picc trouble are on the other side of the bracket, but he will see Spencer Lee Friday morning who he lost 10-5 during the Iowa dual.

For Heil, Meredith, Jack, and McKenna are all on the other side of the bracket. In the semis, he could potentially face #2 Eierman from Mizzou who pinned Heil earlier in the year.

Chandler Rogers has the chance of meeting ex-Cowboy Chance Marsteller in the second round.

Weigel and Jacobe Smith are still recovering from injuries, so hopefully the 2 weeks off have helped.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Interesting...
https://twitter.com/FloWrestling/status/973938956537614337

OSU guys you can bet on
133: Seth Gross, South Dakota St. -220
133: Stevan Micic, Michigan +190
133: Luke Pletcher, Ohio State +330
133: Kaid Brock, OK State +475
133: Montorie Bridges, Wyoming +1200

141: Bryce Meredith, Wyoming +110
141: Yianni Diakomihalis, Cornell +180
141: Dean Heil, OK State +550
141: Jaydin Eierman, Missouri +280
141: Joey McKenna, Ohio St. +400

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
This write up below kind of summarises everything I wrote and that you may need to know to follow along this weekend. If you don't know wrestling at all it has a link to an article I wrote that explains the rules and scoring. It explains how to watch/follow and keep up and it also has those articles @teibbor posted breaking down each weight.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/every...-the-ncaa-wrestling-tournament/#disqus_thread

What @P4L said is accurate. Reasonable seeds, even some better than expected, but there were some tough draws. Overall with 9 guys in there's plenty to follow and it should be a lot of fun.

If you don't follow closely it'll be very difficult for OSU to win this. They're redshirting 3 of their best wrestlers and the #1 and #2 teams might be the best #1 and #2 teams ever. Still obviously want to see the Cowboys wrestle as well as possible here. If they can finish top 3 with what they have returning and coming in next year you can be pretty optimistic about winning a title next year. At least having a shot. Really want to see some specific Cowboys wrestle well here though. A guy like Jacobe Smith or Keegan Moore AA's, or a Preston Weigel/Kaid Brock wins the whole thing that's a very promising sign for next year.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
This write up below kind of summarises everything I wrote and that you may need to know to follow along this weekend. If you don't know wrestling at all it has a link to an article I wrote that explains the rules and scoring. It explains how to watch/follow and keep up and it also has those articles @teibbor posted breaking down each weight.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/every...-the-ncaa-wrestling-tournament/#disqus_thread

What @P4L said is accurate. Reasonable seeds, even some better than expected, but there were some tough draws. Overall with 9 guys in there's plenty to follow and it should be a lot of fun.

If you don't follow closely it'll be very difficult for OSU to win this. They're redshirting 3 of their best wrestlers and the #1 and #2 teams might be the best #1 and #2 teams ever. Still obviously want to see the Cowboys wrestle as well as possible here. If they can finish top 3 with what they have returning and coming in next year you can be pretty optimistic about winning a title next year. At least having a shot. Really want to see some specific Cowboys wrestle well here though. A guy like Jacobe Smith or Keegan Moore AA's, or a Preston Weigel/Kaid Brock wins the whole thing that's a very promising sign for next year.
So who you got winning it all Ohio State or Penn State? I am pulling for Ohio State because I am sick of Penn state

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
So who you got winning it all Ohio State or Penn State? I am pulling for Ohio State because I am sick of Penn state
Nolf’s health probably decides it. If he’s 100% I lean towards PSU, but personally I’m pulling for Ohio State also.
125 and 197 are really important for Ohio State. If they can win there they have a pretty good shot even with a healthy Nolf for PSU

Jun 23, 2009
New York
I think Picc and Heil got fairly decent draws. The majority of lanky guys that give Picc trouble are on the other side of the bracket, but he will see Spencer Lee Friday morning who he lost 10-5 during the Iowa dual.
I think Picc got an extremely tough draw. His first round match is no pushover, if he wins he faces Seth Russell whom the two have had close matches. If he gets through those he is lucky enough to face Spencer Lee then Nathan Tomasello and still isn't the champ until he beats Suriano or Cruz in the finals lol what a friggin crazy road to a championship that would be!

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I'm also looking forward to the Rogers/Marsteller round 2 matchup
I'm excited about it, but kinda have a feeling the staff will pick Marsteller apart and Rogers will win easily. I just think since they coached the kid for a year and know him pretty well they'll have a good game plan for it.

I could be wrong and Marsteller could wreck him, but I feel like Marsteller having been at OSU helps Rogers more than him.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I think Picc got an extremely tough draw. His first round match is no pushover, if he wins he faces Seth Russell whom the two have had close matches. If he gets through those he is lucky enough to face Spencer Lee then Nathan Tomasello and still isn't the champ until he beats Suriano or Cruz in the finals lol what a friggin crazy road to a championship that would be!
I agree it's not easy, mostly because 125 is stacked with talent. Picc would likely have to face 3 out of those 4 regardless of his seed, but the less tall lanky guys he has to wrestle to get there, the better.

It seems to be an annual thing now, but there are rumors swirling yet again about Suriano's health, so maybe that would have been the most optimal draw.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
To be fair just about anywhere you're dropped in the bracket at 125 would look similar to that. That's a really good and very deep weight. Say he's a 7 seed. He has Rivera, Tomasello, Lee, then the final. 5 seed he has Hayes, Suriano, Cruz, then the final.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I'm excited about it, but kinda have a feeling the staff will pick Marsteller apart and Rogers will win easily. I just think since they coached the kid for a year and know him pretty well they'll have a good game plan for it.

I could be wrong and Marsteller could wreck him, but I feel like Marsteller having been at OSU helps Rogers more than him.
I agree for the most part, but it is Rogers we're talking about though. No match is a certainty when he's on the mat, but you at least know it'll be fun!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Kendrick Marshall wrote a preview. Here's an excerpt...

After winning the program’s sixth consecutive Big 12 championship, Oklahoma State will be represented by nine wrestlers at the NCAA Championships.
The Cowboys will feature Nick Piccininni (125 pounds), Kaid Brock (133), Dean Heil (141), Boo Lewallen (149), Chandler Rogers (165), Jacobe Smith (174), Keegan Moore (184), Preston Weigel (197) and Derek White (285) in Cleveland on Thursday through Saturday.
Brock, who lost in the Big 12 finals to South Dakota State’s Seth Gross, is the Cowboys’ highest seeded wrestler at No. 4.

Piccininni and two-time NCAA champion Heil are No. 6 seeds.
Smith, Lewallen, Moore and White — seeded Nos. 8-13 — will be making their first appearances in the NCAA Championships.
“From what the guys say, it’s just a big atmosphere, really exciting,” said Lewallen, who won his first Big 12 individual title a week ago. “I take their advice to heart.”