Men's Basketball 2018 MBB General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
More on Jones from Mark Cooper...

Finding another player who can contribute in the post has become imperative for Oklahoma State after losing Mitchell Solomon to graduation and Yankuba Sima to the professional ranks.

Kentrevious Jones, a 6-foot-10, 285-pound center from Macon, Georgia, could fit the bill.

Jones will take a visit to Oklahoma State this weekend, 247Sports reported Thursday.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
More from Mark Cooper...

Wyatt Walker started 63 games in his first two seasons at Samford, nearly averaging a double-double in his sophomore campaign.

His junior year was wiped out by a leg injury, but the 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward from Jacksonville, Florida, still has two years of eligibility remaining.

And Oklahoma State is one of three schools vying to be the place where he spends those two seasons.
Link

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
General recruiting question. By my count we have 5 scholly's available. That's a ton this late in the year. Obviously Ramey and Chang are the two being talked about most right now on this board and hopefully they choose to become Cowboys. If we can get them, that leaves 3 and from what I can tell, we would currently have no seniors leaving after next season.

So with that in mind, I know we have already offered the Boone twins at Memorial and would love to get them......so does that mean we have to take two graduate transfers to ensure spots open up for them or would we actually leave a spot or two open this next season instead of taking a high school player to ensure we have spots for them next year? Also, with Chang and the Boone twins on our wish list we probably don't need any more wings for the 2019 season......so it seems getting a good graduate transfer wing for 2018 would be ideal at this point? Is there one available that we have our eye on?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2008
We need another PG on top of Ramey even if weathers is a 1 or a 2. If we do happen to get Ramey, you always worry about an injury or foul trouble thus needing 2 PGs behind him who can manage the position.

I am hoping we can get the Samford big guy and this Xavier guy. Those would be huge for depth. Basketball recruiting is so hush hush. Football recruits are divas and count all 41 offers. Basketball you have no clue unless someone tweets about an in home visit by a coach

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
My current wish list: Ramey PG, 6-9 Wyatt Walker C (transfer w/2yrs), 6-10 Trey Porter PF (transfer w/1yr), 6-7 Chang SF, Cunningham PG (transfer w/1yr).

6-11, 290 lbs Kentrevious Jones C (RS for 2019-23)
I'd very much prefer to not get Cunningham, but those do appear to be the guys we're involved with currently.
Why is that?

We need another PG. Especially for the first half of the season. It'd be great if we could snag a combo guard, but it looks like Ramey is the closest we can get to that.

Until Curtis Jones is eligible, Dizzy will be the likely starter at the 2, with no true SG behind him. A third PG would make it possible to slide Weathers or Ramey to SG for stretches.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Why is that?

We need another PG. Especially for the first half of the season. It'd be great if we could snag a combo guard, but it looks like Ramey is the closest we can get to that.

Until Curtis Jones is eligible, Dizzy will be the likely starter at the 2, with no true SG behind him. A third PG would make it possible to slide Weathers or Ramey to SG for stretches.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I'm not opposed to adding to the position. Let's just say I'd prefer another player. I still can't imagine a scenario where Dizzy would start under any circumstance though.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I'm not opposed to adding to the position. Let's just say I'd prefer another player. I still can't imagine a scenario where Dizzy would start under any circumstance though.
Can I ask why? I don't know much about Cunningham.

The only way I see Dizzy not starting is if everyone slides up a position:

Weather - Waters - McGriff - Transfer/Frosh - Transfer/Frosh

I haven't seen us involved with any transfers that could start at the 4. I know Wyatt Walker from Samford is visiting, but I assume he'd be our 5 man. Assuming Anei will play the 5, I doubt Demuth will be ready to start that early either. Not to mention, McGriff is much more suited for the 4 spot.

Preferably, our lineup next season would look something like this:

PG: Weathers, Ramey, and/or Transfer
SG: Jones, Dziagwa, Weathers/Ramey
SF: Waters, Chang
PF: McGriff, Demuth
C: Walker, Jones, N'Guessan, Anei

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY

I haven't seen us involved with any transfers that could start at the 4. I know Wyatt Walker from Samford is visiting, but I assume he'd be our 5 man. Assuming Anei will play the 5, I doubt Demuth will be ready to start that early either. Not to mention, McGriff is much more suited for the 4 spot.

FYI: Zach Lancaster, Go Pokes, insinuated that Anei is the one being considered for RS.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

There's better options out there than Cunningham in my opinion. Walker can play the 4 as well if we get him, and that would let McGriff play the 3 and Waters to play the 2 when we want to play with a bigger lineup. It's be the same thing as when Solomon and Sima were on the floor together last year. Don't sleep on Dizzy, his numbers are better than Curtis Jones as far as pure performance goes on offense, he can actually rebound a little, and if he can improve on defensive (and he definitely improved on D from freshman to sophomore year), then we'll be fine at the 2 until Jones is eligible.

Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
My current wish list: Ramey PG, 6-9 Wyatt Walker C (transfer w/2yrs), 6-10 Trey Porter PF (transfer w/1yr), 6-7 Chang SF, Cunningham PG (transfer w/1yr).

6-11, 290 lbs Kentrevious Jones C (RS for 2019-23)
exactly. That would be an ideal wish list. If we coudl get all those guys. With Ramey, Walker and Cunningham and Jones we would be set. Chang would be gravy. I'd love to get Ramey, Walker and Cunningham though. Or at least 3 of the 5 you have listed. We already have 1 in Jones.

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
exactly. That would be an ideal wish list. If we coudl get all those guys. With Ramey, Walker and Cunningham and Jones we would be set. Chang would be gravy. I'd love to get Ramey, Walker and Cunningham though. Or at least 3 of the 5 you have listed. We already have 1 in Jones.
Possible revision might be BigK playing and Yor Anei (RS)...............Anei (RS) possibility mentioned in a Go Pokes recent article.