Men's Basketball 2018 MBB General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Right... that was my point. Ramey will start (and would have easily started over Averette) and with Averette gone, he will get even more minutes...
Ok, agreed! I think if he comes that would mean IF he comes. PG Ramey SG- Weather SG- Waters or Curtis Jones F- Cameron McGriff C- Sima . It would help us bigtime because that would give us more depth too and allow either Waters to come off the bench of Curtis Jones depending. Make us a better team for sure.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Right... that was my point. Ramey will start (and would have easily started over Averette) and with Averette gone, he will get even more minutes...
Ok, agreed! I think if he comes that would mean IF he comes. PG Ramey SG- Weather SG- Waters or Curtis Jones F- Cameron McGriff C- Sima . It would help us bigtime because that would give us more depth too and allow either Waters to come off the bench of Curtis Jones depending. Make us a better team for sure.
You realize Curtis Jones put up pretty much the same numbers as Dizzy this year, right? And that was against out of conference opponents. Assuming he starts is pretty crazy based on his career so far. Waters is the obvious starter and it's not even a discussion at this point.

Dec 21, 2008
CuJo has to sit til Jan so there are tons of minutes behind Weathers. Hoping Ramey wants them. What do basketball recruits wait on? Seems like every kid we offer has 15 top 50 offers but not a lot of movement in regards to committing

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
You realize Curtis Jones put up pretty much the same numbers as Dizzy this year, right? And that was against out of conference opponents. Assuming he starts is pretty crazy based on his career so far. Waters is the obvious starter and it's not even a discussion at this point.
What do you mean? At Indiana? He didn't play for OSU this year. I would say Waters is the obvious starter at first but Curtis Jones has talent too. I like Waters but we need for Curtis Jones to be good to help the team be good. Jones has the talent to play some top notch ball. We'll see what he does.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
What do you mean? At Indiana? He didn't play for OSU this year. I would say Waters is the obvious starter at first but Curtis Jones has talent too. I like Waters but we need for Curtis Jones to be good to help the team be good. Jones has the talent to play some top notch ball. We'll see what he does.
Yes, I meant at Indiana. Jones has talent, but he's going to have to improve tremendously to get more than back up minutes next year.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I hear you. I like Thomas but I don't think he can defend at this level. I think will really help next year though since he adjusted and actually played more this year. Thomas Dziagwa is a great shooter and that's awesome.

Just think Curtis Jones has a chance to be a really good 6th man at least. We need him to be. I'll put it that way. Our projected lineup next year if for some reason we don't land Ramey or another transfer. At this point we are look for 1 starters and I doubt it's Dziagwa

1. Weathers 2 Waters 3 Jones 4. McGriff 5. Sima

With Ramey, it would change everything and give us a good starting 5. Bring Jones and Dziagwa off the bench.

Jul 2, 2013
Found this today thought it was interesting. Its a grad transfer list.
https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

Grad Transfers of note so far.
USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham told ESPN he has his release. Averaged 13.7 ppg and 3.1 apg. Western Kentucky, UAB, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Valpo, Tulane, Wyoming, VCU, South Carolina and Nevada have all shown interest.
Not a grad but is a stud. Pittsburgh transfer Parker Stewart has been hearing so far from Maryland, Nebraska, USC, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, St. John's, WKU, Wyoming, North Florida, and playing for his dad at UT Martin is an option, he tells me.
St. John’s transfer Tariq Owen is down to Maryland, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Western Kentucky, ODU & VCU.
Mark Smith new teams transfer interests available: Kansas, Purdue, Oklahoma State, SMU, DePaul, Xavier, and Arizona. He will decide which team for Smith’s new home. But he needs to take all 7 visits that I made a prediction for Smith. That’s my prediction for Smith transfer.
Oklahoma State, Nevada and Wyoming are among the programs showing early interest in former Siena guard Nico Clareth, who has left the team and intends to transfer.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
You realize I love Dizzy but he is a guy with limited athleticism and Curtis Jones was a Top 50 player in America out of high school. They don't have the same level of talent. I think Dizzy is a great shooter but Jones will be a more reliable college player. Jones has way more natural talent and ability.

Not a knock on Dizzy but I'm just being real here.

agec

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 7, 2004
Mulhall
We could definitely use Trey Porter now: 6-10 230 lbs. Averaged 13.2 pts and 6.2 rebounds this past year.

Corey Evans tweet:

Expect Old Dominion grad-transfer Trey Porter to be one of the more heavily pursued prospects this spring. Has heard from Indiana, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Georgetown, Murray State, Maryland, DePaul & handful of others since receiving release

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
We could definitely use Trey Porter now: 6-10 230 lbs. Averaged 13.2 pts and 6.2 rebounds this past year.

Corey Evans tweet:

Expect Old Dominion grad-transfer Trey Porter to be one of the more heavily pursued prospects this spring. Has heard from Indiana, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Georgetown, Murray State, Maryland, DePaul & handful of others since receiving release
I'd like the Houston Baptist transfer, too

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
You realize I love Dizzy but he is a guy with limited athleticism and Curtis Jones was a Top 50 player in America out of high school. They don't have the same level of talent. I think Dizzy is a great shooter but Jones will be a more reliable college player. Jones has way more natural talent and ability.

Not a knock on Dizzy but I'm just being real here.
I hope you're right about Jones, but talent and potential only go so far. And so far, Dizzy has proven he can be just as effective as Jones at the college level. Add to that the fact that Dizzy has an elite skill in shooting and more time in the system, and it's not hard to say that Dizzy could see more minutes next year. To say their talent level isn't even close is a bit short sighted. Like I said, I know Jones has potential and I hope he blossoms and turns into the type of player he was projected to be out of high school. And I hope Dizzy improves tremendously as well.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
There's a reason Dizzy didn't play more than he did this year. He was a liability on the defensive end of the court. I think the hope is that Jones is a better athlete and can play the defense we need

You never know. The player no one has ever seen always excites the fan base more than the bird in our hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
While their traditional stats (MPG, PPG, RPG, APG) are similar, Jones and Dziagwa are very different players, statistically speaking. Jones is a below-average shooter that plays OK defense. Dziagwa is a good shooter and a poor defender.
1522788250500.png

1522788004860.png

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
While their traditional stats (MPG, PPG, RPG, APG) are similar, Jones and Dziagwa are very different players, statistically speaking. Jones is a below-average shooter that plays OK defense. Dziagwa is a good shooter and a poor defender.
View attachment 60076
View attachment 60075
You're still irritated Dirk didn't follow through on going to Cal, admit it.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
You're still irritated Dirk didn't follow through on going to Cal, admit it.
Are you talking about Curtis Jones? I actually hadn't realized that he was recruited by Cal, since I really don't follow any recruiting very closely. However, I wouldn't wish Cal's misery on anyone. They just went 2-16 in a historically bad Pac-12. Their SRS Basketball Reference rating was -3.4, easily the worst in Cal history since the rating has been calculated (1949). Their 0.250 overall winning percentage is the 2nd worst in the 109 years of Cal basketball, and the only year that was worse (1978-79) had a stronger SRS rating due to a tougher schedule. So, it's almost certainly been the worst season in the history of Cal basketball.

I might head over to the Cal board and start petitioning them to hire Gregg Gottlieb.
1522789530819.png

1522790220009.png