2018 Bracketology Tracker

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ok. So at this point with our win against Iowa State, do we want to be the eighth seed or the 7th? If we beat KU and both OU and Texas lose that guarantees us the 7th. I personally like that scenario.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I like this team and will support them no matter what. That said, I don't think they belong in the tournament. They have shown no ability to win consistently, even against mediocre competition. We have no chance at being the best team in the nation. I do think, however we could be the 69th best team in the nation. Bring on the NIT, a tournament we might be able to win, and then we can ride that momentum into next year and really do some damage in the big dance.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
I like this team and will support them no matter what. That said, I don't think they belong in the tournament. They have shown no ability to win consistently, even against mediocre competition. We have no chance at being the best team in the nation. I do think, however we could be the 69th best team in the nation. Bring on the NIT, a tournament we might be able to win, and then we can ride that momentum into next year and really do some damage in the big dance.
that is an awfully terrible attitude! Who wants to be the 69th best team?!?!? The beauty about magical, cinderella runs is that NO ONE SEES IT COMING! You gotta be in it to win it and I'd rather be the last team selected to the NCAA tournament and then the first seed in the NIT. You can't win an NCAA Championship if you aren't even in the tourney....

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Based purely on logic and ytd record more than half the teams in the ncaa tourney have no shot of winning the title. That's not the criteria. Also, that crazy loyal fan inside every fan of every team whispers "there's always a shot.. ". It's the beauty of the tournament. Would love it if we got in.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We haven’t been able to win against mediocre competition. That is true. Fortunately the teams we would face in the tournament would not be mediocre. They would be pretty good teams and we have been able to beat a bunch of that type of team.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa

The 1983 NC State team says "Hi!"

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
The big problem with this team is inconsistency, that will kill you in ANY tournament... so we might as well go the the NCAA. We have a good argument to get there if we win 1 or two more games.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Interesting...Lunardi now has us as one of the Last Four Out. He has Texas sitting as one of the Last Four In - playing the play-in game in Dayton. Hope that 1-point loss to the Longhorns doesn't come back to bite us.

In any case - Beat OU!

Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
I think if we beat OU we are in and they are out. Lose to OU and we are NIT bound. Just win the B12 tourney and there are no worries.

How does the NCAA handle that since they generally have the brackets done before the B12 tourney is over.
You're living in the past. That's the way it used to be. B12 tournament championship game is at 5pm on Saturday. The NCAA committee doesn't conclude its work until Sunday.

As to your scenario of beating UO at the B12 Tournament and they would be out, I don't think I'd be through LMAO over that for several days. Almost deserves a special T-shirt...

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think if we beat OU we are in and they are out. Lose to OU and we are NIT bound. Just win the B12 tourney and there are no worries.

How does the NCAA handle that since they generally have the brackets done before the B12 tourney is over.
Agreed, Bedlam part #3 is absolutely huge for the tournament AND, IMHO, the future of this program. It's a huge game Wednesday. Hope the kids are ready to go and prove that these past few wins aren't just a few good games. If we would have won at Texas...which was SOOOO close to a win...we would not be having to win this game at all cost, but as it is...it is a must win game.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX

Yes @Family of Pokes is correct. It is no longer an issue since the championship is on Saturday. If you recall, we won the Big 12 tournament in 2004 on a Sunday, but we were denied a #1 seed because the bracket was already set (we beat smoaked Texas in the championship, and they were already penciled in as well). As a result, St. Joseph's got the #1 and we had to settle for the #2. We got the last laugh, though, thanks to JLIII.

On another note, damn you Will Bynum!

Mar 8, 2010
I don't buy the NIT as being a good thing unless you are a very young team that can benefit from playing additional games together. But in our case, most of our guys who we rely on won't be back next year.