2018-19 OSU Cowboys Wrestling Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Very interesting stuff here. Sounds like Coach has made the decision to go Weigel at 197, Geer at 184, Jacobe at 174 and then get Joe and Chandler to fight it out at 165.

@Seth25809er is there any chance Chandler could drop to 157? I know that he said a couple weeks ago that Shommers is not going to be cutting down to 157 anymore.

Frankly I think that lineup would put us in contention for a national title... Joe is a finalist contender at 165. Throw in Picc, Fix, and White as potential finalist contenders... And 197 is by far the weakest weight class outside of Bo Nickal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_ze2Gyxpk

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Very interesting stuff here. Sounds like Coach has made the decision to go Weigel at 197, Geer at 184, Jacobe at 174 and then get Joe and Chandler to fight it out at 165.

@Seth25809er is there any chance Chandler could drop to 157? I know that he said a couple weeks ago that Shommers is not going to be cutting down to 157 anymore.

Frankly I think that lineup would put us in contention for a national title... Joe is a finalist contender at 165. Throw in Picc, Fix, and White as potential finalist contenders... And 197 is by far the weakest weight class outside of Bo Nickal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_ze2Gyxpk
Don't see much of a chance that Rogers goes to 57.

Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
From what Seth has put out there it sounds like they want to build a stand alone facility that is connected to the Hall of Fame in some capacity so that we can have a true Olympic training center and wrestling only facilities.
Would make the most sense to build on the old practice field on the East Side of GIA and South of the wrestling hall of fame. Perfect spot and not being used.

Jun 14, 2011
Saw this preview and thought the posters who frequent this thread would appreciate seeing it as well. Not OSU related, but looks solid none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVMhjl3fXBY

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
People don't really realize but college wrestling provides scholarships the most first-in-family college students in the NCAA... But opportunities keep shrinking because programs continue to drop the sport. I think the last I saw the only scholarship tougher to get percentage wise is a basketball scholarship.

Hopefully the rise of women's wrestling will allow programs to add those programs for the Title IX match. I would love to see OSU be the first major program to do this and then advocate for Big 12 and NCAA sponsorship.

Also hopefully the rise of wrestling in the deep South continues and we see some tractions from programs starting there. Arkansas-Little Rock is a big win. Would also be great to see UAB or Georgia Tech start programs.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
People don't really realize but college wrestling provides scholarships the most first-in-family college students in the NCAA... But opportunities keep shrinking because programs continue to drop the sport. I think the last I saw the only scholarship tougher to get percentage wise is a basketball scholarship.

Hopefully the rise of women's wrestling will allow programs to add those programs for the Title IX match. I would love to see OSU be the first major program to do this and then advocate for Big 12 and NCAA sponsorship.

Also hopefully the rise of wrestling in the deep South continues and we see some tractions from programs starting there. Arkansas-Little Rock is a big win. Would also be great to see UAB or Georgia Tech start programs.
I have a great-niece that wrestles in Weatherford little league. She's about 10 years old and wrestles both boys and girls and is pretty good. Hope to see her get a scholarship one day. I know Oklahoma City University has women's wrestling. Any other university in Oklahoma have it?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Big dual against Mizzou tomorrow. Starts at 2:30 and is on ESPN3 or whatever they call their online platform now.

Mizzou is on a 35 dual win streak and has won 2 of the last 4 against us... which is pretty unacceptable.

Expected matches are as follows...

125: #4 Nicky Pich vs UR Dack Punke... should get bonus points here. Would be shocked if we don't see Picc pick up another tech fall. If it weren't for the Nolf/Nickal pain train at Penn State, Picc could be getting Hodge consideration... especially if he beats Spencer Lee.

Pokes 5 - 0 Mizzou

133: #2 Daton Fix vs #10 John Erneste... Erneste is really good but he gives up his legs a lot which means Daton will have a field day if he wrestles at the level he's capable of and is aggressive.

Pokes 8 - 0 Mizzou

141: #14 Kaid Brock vs #4 Jaydin Eierman... We know Kaid is capable of pulling off an upset here... but with the season he's having it's really hard to pick him against Eierman, who is a great wrestler and is no stranger to a funky guy like Kaid. Hard to pick against Eierman here... even though he has a new money white trash first name.

Pokes 8 - 3 Mizzou

149: #4 Kaden Gfeller vs #9 Brock Mauller... probably the match of the dual here. Both freshmen are great... only 3 losses between them on the year. The two met on the high school circuit in Fargo where G beat Mauller. I think Gfeller picks up a win here because I'm a homer... but with the home crowd it wouldn't shock me to see G go down... but he also seems to thrive in this kind of situation too. I think we learn a lot about Kaden in this match.

Pokes 11 - 3 Mizzou

157: UR Wyatt Sheets vs #14 Jarrett Jacques... Wyatt is going to pick up the win here. Dude is on a tear. I think the only reason he hasn't broken into the rankings is because Coach Smith has been non-committal on naming him the starter.

Pokes 14 - 3 Mizzou

165: #11 Chandler Rogers vs #13 Connor Flynn... Really need Chandler to get back to form here and show that he can pick up a big win against a quality opponent after the injury. Sluggish against Air Force... hopefully the extra week has been good for our favorite pinner.

Pokes 17 - 3 Mizzou

174: #7 Joe Smith vs #2 Daniel Lewis... Lewis is great and Joe is cutting to 165 per Coach Smith, so he's going to have to weigh in around 170 and you can't give up that kind of weight to a guy like Lewis. I don't see this one going well for Joe... just don't give up bonus points.

Pokes 17 - Mizzou 6

184: #9 Jacobe Smith vs UR Dylan Wiseman... Jacobe is cutting too but he's strong enough to handle Wiseman. Would be nice to see him get this thing over with early.

Pokes 20 - Mizzou 6

197: UR Preston Weigel vs UR Wyatt Koelling... Weigel will probably do Weigel things here and ride Koelling for 6 minutes.

Pokes 23 - Mizzou 6

HWT: #2 Derek White vs #19 Zach Elam... CBJ wins by bonus.

Pokes 27 - Mizzou 6.

Pokes blowout Mizzou in their building to end the 35 dual win streak. It's going to be amazing... because, as mentioned in several other threads, f*ck Mizzou and everything they stand for (but thanks for Dave Hunziker).

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Mizzou's singlets are so bad. They've been the same for a few years now... and it still shocks me how awful they are.

Also there's been some good crowd shots already of some classic Missourah mouth-breathers.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Fix gets Earneste to his back and picks up a TD to near fall.

Started as a nice duck under and there was some defense that gave Fix an underhook and inside trip that put him on his back.

Last edited: