2017 Off season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Daily Thunder has a link posted today that mentions Jawun Evans in a group of players the Thunder should look at in the draft. First time I've seen his name pop up with the Thunder. Could be a good fit.

Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer: “Philosophical changes need to be made, though it might be hard for Westbrook to go back to sharing after being given the go-ahead to do whatever he wants. They need to stockpile shooters to increase floor-spacing, and (hopefully) encourage better ball movement. They won’t have cap space this summer, but they could always look to flip Enes Kanter. They also have their first-round pick (no. 21), which I’d used to target quality shooters who can double as secondary ball handlers, like Luke Kennard, Jawun Evans, Derrick White, and Josh Hart. The Thunder can’t let Westbrook do it all by himself, otherwise each season will end on the same sour note.”
http://dailythunder.com/friday-bolts-4-28-17/#more-40257

Tip10

Greenhorn
Apr 19, 2012
With as many good PG's that are in the draft, I would think there's a pretty good chance he'd still be available at 21. He'd be a really good fit here

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Jawun would be a dream come true, but I see the draft as being not much help for the immediate future.

The Thunder could try to trade up and unload some salary in the process, but they really need guys that can contribute now.

Presti wasn't wrong in his comments that basically said they don't have that much flexibility. They will have to find the perfect combination of moves that really fill out this roster. They need shooters like crazy.

A lot of fans want Paul George, which duh, but they don't necessarily have the assets to make that happen.

If I were Presti, I would entertain trading pretty much anyone except Westbrook.

I don't believe Kanter comes back. I don't want them to resign Roberson, but they will likely do that depending on price. I don't know if they can keep Gibson. I think Gibson would be a great player to keep, though.

In order to get any names, the Thunder will have to move big pieces like Kanter, Adams, Oladipo, and I pray they find a way to get rid of Singler.

As far as the draft...

I love Evans(duh), Jonathan Isaac, Justin Jackson, OG Anunoby.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
In one show there were a couple statements made(neither of which are believable at this point) that could potentially point to 2 stars coming to OKC after this season.

I'm not saying it is true, nor do I actually believe it in either case. That said, it would be amazing to see actually happen.

1st, Kendrick Perkins announced tonight that KD and Westbrook are on speaking terms again since the day Westbrook got triple double 42. Says KD told him the next day they had finally talked. Perkins goes on to say that he wouldn't be surprised at all to see KD back in OKC. Count me in the camp that would be floored, but as mad as I am at his decision to leave it would be unreal.

Another guy, former multiyear Clipper player, Big Baby Davis says he could see Blake Griffin in OKC.

Both KD and Blake will be free agents this summer. OKC has literally nothing to offer in cap room as it stands, but that can be manipulated through trades. While I believe these to both be nonsense, I can't help but imagine what it would look like.

There are also growing beliefs by many that Westbrook will sign his mega deal this summer, especially after putting out his new commercial today that indicates how much he loves OKC and the reciprocation. Perk also said he doesn't think Westbrook would leave OKC nor that he is the type to beg players to join him.

Big Baby

Kendrick Perkins

Russ's new AD

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
As upset as I'am with KD, I'd gladly and openly take him back.
Everyone would. It was ultimately a business decision. If he comes back there will be those that fuss about it, but the rest of us will be plotting our path back to the finals.

Let's pretend you have a starting lineup like this...

Adams
Griffin
Durant
Abrines
Westbrook

I'm assuming you had to move Kanter w/singler via sign and trade to Clippers

and I'm assuming you had to find a way to move Oladipo plus someone to get Durant...

I have no idea, but holy crap.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I don't see KD ever coming back. Griffin to the Thunder has been whispered about for a few years now. I originally wanted nothing to do with it, but this team is pretty crappy right now. Whatever they can do to try and make them more competitive is fine with me.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
I don't see KD ever coming back. Griffin to the Thunder has been whispered about for a few years now. I originally wanted nothing to do with it, but this team is pretty crappy right now. Whatever they can do to try and make them more competitive is fine with me.
I know what you mean with Griffin. I mean, he's typically being a DB when he's not hurt. He even got hurt while being a DB. But yeah, OKC needs help and he's about the only semi-big name free agent I could see OKC pulling in.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I know what you mean with Griffin. I mean, he's typically being a DB when he's not hurt. He even got hurt while being a DB. But yeah, OKC needs help and he's about the only semi-big name free agent I could see OKC pulling in.
I actually think this offseason will be an OKC version of Go-Big or Go-Home.

Westbrook is expected to sign a supermax deal July 1. I think they will do whatever they can to move pieces around. I could legitimately see them having a shot at Gordon Hayword if he isn't eligible for a supermax deal. Has to make an All-NBA team for that.

There are rumors of lots of things happening; Butler & George will likely be traded. NY Knicks are taking calls on the Unicorn(who skipped his exit interview with Phil Jackson). I don't think we get any of those guys but it presents an opening in terms of movement around the league. Who knows how it will shake out.

Hayword would be a God-send. No Question that he is the most applicable free agent to fix or begin to fix our current issues. That is assuming Durant is not an option(which I assume).

They don't have cap space but that can be made. How much and for what is the question.

Then there is the outside shot Westbrook doesn't sign his supermax, the Thunder may look to trade him. Crazy to even think about.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I actually think this offseason will be an OKC version of Go-Big or Go-Home.

Westbrook is expected to sign a supermax deal July 1. I think they will do whatever they can to move pieces around. I could legitimately see them having a shot at Gordon Hayword if he isn't eligible for a supermax deal. Has to make an All-NBA team for that.

There are rumors of lots of things happening; Butler & George will likely be traded. NY Knicks are taking calls on the Unicorn(who skipped his exit interview with Phil Jackson). I don't think we get any of those guys but it presents an opening in terms of movement around the league. Who knows how it will shake out.

Hayword would be a God-send. No Question that he is the most applicable free agent to fix or begin to fix our current issues. That is assuming Durant is not an option(which I assume).

They don't have cap space but that can be made. How much and for what is the question.

Then there is the outside shot Westbrook doesn't sign his supermax, the Thunder may look to trade him. Crazy to even think about.
Nothing happens without either Westbrook or Kanter (more likely) being shipped. Even with a trade of Kanter I still don't think they can afford a true difference maker. Even if you do, then you have to deal with the realistic scenario of nothing this team does making a difference while the Golden State juggernaut steamrolls everyone for the next 3-5 years.

Might be the better long term option to blow it up, trade for draft picks and young assets, and build a new core that hopefully peaks in 3-5 years when Golden State is on the downward trend.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
I really have no idea what Presti will do, but it seems like a 50% chance Kanter will be moved. However, if no significant personnel changes are made this off season, I'd at least like to see some lineup changes. Most importantly, if he isn't traded, Kanter needs to be in the starting lineup. He was the common denominator for the top two 2-man combinations in real +/- last season.
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 4.15.30 PM.png

The notion that the Thunder must play "small ball" to match their opponent (Rockets, Warriors, etc.) ignores the Thunder's biggest strength -- rebounding. OKC posted the 9th best offensive rebounding percentage in NBA history since 1974 (link), and Kanter is OKC's best offensive rebounder.

Starting 5: Westbrook, Roberson, Grant, Kanter, Adams
Backup 5: Oladipo, Abrines, McDermott, Sabonis, Dakari Johnson

The starting 5 are long and athletic. This lineup would create problems for a lot of smaller teams, especially on the boards.

The backup 5 are defensively challenged, but are all skilled offensively. Having Oladipo as PG, instead of Christon, would create many more scoring opportunities for Abrines and McDermott. And, while Oladipo isn't a true PG, he would be surrounded by four scorers on a well-spaced floor, thus making his job much easier.

Finally, Dakari Johnson had a terrific season with the Blue last year, so it's time to see what he can do. At the least, giving him some NBA experience increases his trade value if he is dealt later on.

Nov 27, 2007

I agree that there's no way that KD comes back.

I disagree that the Thunder is "pretty crappy". They went 47-35 with the 3rd youngest roster in the NBA, the youngest to make the playoffs. Even if no moves happen this offseason, the Thunder should be better next year through sheer maturation of young talent.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I really have no idea what Presti will do, but it seems like a 50% chance Kanter will be moved. However, if no significant personnel changes are made this off season, I'd at least like to see some lineup changes. Most importantly, if he isn't traded, Kanter needs to be in the starting lineup. He was the common denominator for the top two 2-man combinations in real +/- last season.
View attachment 54204

The notion that the Thunder must play "small ball" to match their opponent (Rockets, Warriors, etc.) ignores the Thunder's biggest strength -- rebounding. OKC posted the 9th best offensive rebounding percentage in NBA history since 1974 (link), and Kanter is OKC's best offensive rebounder.

Starting 5: Westbrook, Roberson, Grant, Kanter, Adams
Backup 5: Oladipo, Abrines, McDermott, Sabonis, Dakari Johnson

The starting 5 are long and athletic. This lineup would create problems for a lot of smaller teams, especially on the boards.

The backup 5 are defensively challenged, but are all skilled offensively. Having Oladipo as PG, instead of Christon, would create many more scoring opportunities for Abrines and McDermott. And, while Oladipo isn't a true PG, he would be surrounded by four scorers on a well-spaced floor, thus making his job much easier.

Finally, Dakari Johnson had a terrific season with the Blue last year, so it's time to see what he can do. At the least, giving him some NBA experience increases his trade value if he is dealt later on.
I'd agree with this since if we can't move Kanter we probably don't resign Gibson. It would move our best scorer off the bench, but there has to be some variation in lineups. They really need to stagger Oladipo and Westbrook.