2017 Dove Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Really strange season. No birds here (Carter County) and didn't really see any birds all the way to Altus last Thursday. Didn't even see any birds in Jackson County until we got to our field (combined milo field). Noticeably fewer hunters in Jackson County than years past and visited with several at the hotel and around town and they all reported very few birds. Must have been 99% of all the birds in Jackson County on our field, because it was as good a hunt as I have ever had in Oklahoma. Comparable to the days we used to have in South Texas brush country.
Still no birds here in Carter County. I'm blaming it on Harvey and the unseasonably cool weather that we have had. However, in addition to the numbers we were blessed with, the best weather I have ever had on opening weekend.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
I've seen a lot of doves here in north Texas, north of Dallas but I'm guessing they are all locals. Have seen great results in the past in the areas you are talking about in western Ok.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I've seen a lot of doves here in north Texas, north of Dallas but I'm guessing they are all locals. Have seen great results in the past in the areas you are talking about in western Ok.
Yeah, it has always been good in Jackson County. Have hunted there opening weekend for about 12 years, and normally there are many more birds around the entire county. That was not the case this year, but our hunt this year was the best it has ever been. Normally there are a lot of acres in milo but, due to market prices, we only saw a couple milo fields.........which happened to be ours!

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Really strange season. No birds here (Carter County) and didn't really see any birds all the way to Altus last Thursday. Didn't even see any birds in Jackson County until we got to our field (combined milo field). Noticeably fewer hunters in Jackson County than years past and visited with several at the hotel and around town and they all reported very few birds. Must have been 99% of all the birds in Jackson County on our field, because it was as good a hunt as I have ever had in Oklahoma. Comparable to the days we used to have in South Texas brush country.
Still no birds here in Carter County. I'm blaming it on Harvey and the unseasonably cool weather that we have had. However, in addition to the numbers we were blessed with, the best weather I have ever had on opening weekend.
We still have birds sitting on eggs here in NE Okla. It's crazy.

LEGALPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 6, 2005
Oklahoma City
Anybody been out lately? Thought I might give it 1 more hail mary on Friday on the heels of the cold weather. Maybe bunched up and/or moved some in. Curious if anyone is even still hunting.

Last edited: