2016 Deer Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
How was the McAlester hunt?
HOT! It was the first hunt they hosted in October. It was about 85 with 15-20 mph south wind the whole time. We saw literally hundreds of deer driving from the checkpoint to the hunt area but not a single deer in the hunt area. We were really lucky to have be able to reserve a cabin on base. I had a great time regardless of the weather and will put in for this hunt again. Maybe a little later in the season next time though.

tyokstate

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 8, 2005
Ardmore, OK
Young bucks are start to chase, tried some rattling this weekend, was able to bring in 3 small bucks. Big 9 I am hunting came into 100 yards and fought a 15' Pecan tree for 5 minutes. Never could entice him to come into bow range.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Man I can't believe I pulled the trigger on the crossbow tonight. My wife is pissed at me and I'm still not entirely convinced I should have shot it. Nice deer just not sure it was nice enough for the headache especially tonight. Last night it would have been great. Trying to decide if I should hang him on the wall in the man cave or not. It's been 7 years since I have pulled the trigger and it was a reaction when he turned and I saw the spread. In some ways the best deer I have ever shot in other ways not so much. Solid 10 point.

IMG_4162.jpg

Last edited:

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Saw a huge typical Sunday evening but didn't get a shot. Not sure how many points he had, but it was somewhere between 14 and 20. Pretty hard to tell it was right at dusk and I was watching him through Binoculars. Every horn on him had a fork at the top bringing the point count way up. Couldn't tell if he was an 8, 10 or 12 without the forks because of the angle I had on him. I was completely mesmerized watching him. Wish I would have had my big camera with about a 400mm lens on it. Would have been an awesome picture.

Hope I see him again this weekend. I will be set up in a better spot where I can get a shot if he comes back around. It's a hike from heck to get where he was at. ATV won't get there so I'm going to have to carry my climber up a near vertical hillside. Been wanting to put one up there for years but never been motivated enough before this weekend. Heck my cows won't even go up in that corner and there is about 5 acres of good pasture on my property at the top.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Saw the coolest thing tonight. Had to be close to 50 deer out in the pasture. Wish I had a camera to film it. Counted 10 bucks there were more the rest does. One appeared to be Boone and Crockett class. Pretty awesome sight. Never have I seen that many deer in a pasture before.