2 week notice advice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 30, 2012
Well the job that I quit just called and offered me the day time position that I wanted for years but I couldn't get until now magically. I guess they realized what a hard worker I was and that I was kick ass. Guess you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

internationalaw

Reading about OSU football somewhere
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2010
USA
Well the job that I quit just called and offered me the day time position that I wanted for years but I couldn't get until now magically. I guess they realized what a hard worker I was and that I was kick ass. Guess you don't know what you've got until it's gone.
Leverage..Works wonders. Congratulations

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Okay so I have accepted a new position with a start date of 11/3. They are currently doing their background/drug prescreen. They say it takes AT LEAST 10 days to get thumbs up thumbs down. My two weeks notification comes up this Friday 10/17, which is not within the time the background check will be coming back. To complicate this, I am concerned that my urine test may not come back clean as I forgot that I took a (legit) Rx pain killer last week for my back.

I don't want to give notice and then have the offer rescinded because of stupid mistake on my part. That would totally leave me in a lurch, as my current employer will probably not allow me to rescind my resignation.

So do I leave my current employer in the dark until every thing comes up good on the background and drug check?

What do I stand to lose if I don't give a full two weeks?

internationalaw

Reading about OSU football somewhere
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2010
USA
Okay so I have accepted a new position with a start date of 11/3. They are currently doing their background/drug prescreen. They say it takes AT LEAST 10 days to get thumbs up thumbs down. My two weeks notification comes up this Friday 10/17, which is not within the time the background check will be coming back. To complicate this, I am concerned that my urine test may not come back clean as I forgot that I took a (legit) Rx pain killer last week for my back.

I don't want to give notice and then have the offer rescinded because of stupid mistake on my part. That would totally leave me in a lurch, as my current employer will probably not allow me to rescind my resignation.

So do I leave my current employer in the dark until every thing comes up good on the background and drug check?

What do I stand to lose if I don't give a full two weeks?
tricky spot, but you have to do what's best for you. Wait until you get thumbs up or thumbs down. 2 weeks is just common courtesy. I don' know anything about drug tests but if you think it may show up and raise a red flag then I wait to let your current employer know. Companies don't give 2 weeks notice when they are laying off employees....You're in a tough spot...Do what you feel is best. Good luck!

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I counted backward from when I took the pee test and I am sure that at least 4 24hr periods had passed since I took the stupid Tylenol 3. I've seen online documentation saying this can be detected between 2-5 days. Gawd I am so nervous right now because I REALLY want this job right now.

@RxCowboy what say you? Am I screwed?

May 30, 2012

What do I stand to lose if I don't give a full two weeks?[/quote

On your pain killer if they say anything show them the RX.
I counted backward from when I took the pee test and I am sure that at least 4 24hr periods had passed since I took the stupid Tylenol 3. I've seen online documentation saying this can be detected between 2-5 days. Gawd I am so nervous right now because I REALLY want this job right now.

Aug 22, 2009
Oklahoma

If the test does come back, they will notify you first, not your potential employer. They will ask for any RX, if it matches, you are clear.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I waited until I got the thumbs up from everything BEFORE I put in my two weeks notice. I didn't have anything to worry about, but I wasn't going to even risk putting in my notice then having something not work out. I'd think that the new employer would agree to waiting at least 2 weeks after your checks come back before having you start. I actually started 3 weeks later because of the way their payroll worked. They can't start someone in the middle of a pay period for some reason...

May 30, 2012
My job at kicker ended on oct.3rd (my 30th birthday ) and I started new job at.FLIR inn Wednesday..I was only unemployed 2 days. Yay

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Still waiting on background check (a week later). No contact from BC company or new employer. Fingers crossed because I am totally ready to get the eff out of my current place. I have decided that once the BC comes back, I am going to give less than two weeks notice and start on my scheduled start date.

Jan 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
Still waiting on background check (a week later). No contact from BC company or new employer. Fingers crossed because I am totally ready to get the eff out of my current place. I have decided that once the BC comes back, I am going to give less than two weeks notice and start on my scheduled start date.
You could expedite the process by telling the new employer something along the lines of - "I'd really like to maintain the start date we agreed to, but need to be past all of the pre-screening requirement by Wednesday. If this can't be done, then it will be a day-for-day delay."

Often times, the hiring manager doesn't know if there's a delay until you miss your first day... A background check should not take longer than 5 business days.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I got a call from the hiring director today just to smooth things over. The hr recruiter who started my onboarding is no longer with the company. I mentioned the time it was taking and I think the director pushed some buttons. They are making me retake the drug test. They said it came back negative but too dilute. They want me to do it tomorrow morning. I anticipated this being a potential outcome so I have been sucking it up in back pain for the past few days, just to guarantee it was pretty much out of my system.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I got a call from the hiring director today just to smooth things over. The hr recruiter who started my onboarding is no longer with the company. I mentioned the time it was taking and I think the director pushed some buttons. They are making me retake the drug test. They said it came back negative but too dilute. They want me to do it tomorrow morning. I anticipated this being a potential outcome so I have been sucking it up in back pain for the past few days, just to guarantee it was pretty much out of my system.
I love quoting myself, but everything with the new job is worked out, however, we are fiddling with the start date. I gave my current employer 2 weeks, but I have a nagging feeling they won't reciprocate notice, and they will kick me out on the 31st rather than the 7th. Payroll is done monthly on the 31st and Nov 1, is the start of the new medical insurance plan year.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I wasn't kicked out on the 31st as I expected. So two days left. Totally mentally checked out at this point. Really don't care. Caught myself watching twitch.tv at work yesterday.

I'm excited for the new job.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I wasn't kicked out on the 31st as I expected. So two days left. Totally mentally checked out at this point. Really don't care. Caught myself watching twitch.tv at work yesterday.

I'm excited for the new job.
I'm pretty sure 90% of my last few days at me last job were spent on this site... I gave a 3 weeks notice (couldn't start until the next payroll period for some reason) so week 3 was pretty brutal. By that point I had already gotten everyone to get with someone else if there were any issues.

May 30, 2012
So kicker just called. They offered me a job working at the front desk full time kicker employee. I was just a temp employee last time. I'm so excited