2 week notice advice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 30, 2012
Well I have another interview scheduled for Monday.
I had an interview on Thursday, The guy said he would let me know by middle or the end of the week this week. It is now Wednesday and I haven't heard back yet. Should I go ahead and call and check or what?

Jan 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well I have another interview scheduled for Monday.
I had an interview on Thursday, The guy said he would let me know by middle or the end of the week this week. It is now Wednesday and I haven't heard back yet. Should I go ahead and call and check or what?
I'd wait until Monday to call. Did you send a thank you note / email? If they're interviewing a lot of candidates, that can help keep your resume toward the top of the list.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Horrible, terrible, awful advice.

Never, ever, quit a job for another job without giving notice. Ever.

I totally agree with you, as it is a professional curtesy and the norm. However, I find it so hypocritical for a business to expect a a notice when it does not afford the same curtesy. I'm not talking about about firings for incidents or actions. But when they have layoffs etc. My company recently laid off about 10% of the sales force. They were met in the field that day, company car was taken and were sent home in a cab. The severance package was 1 week salary for every year you worked here up to 4 weeks. But that is only salary not commissions. So a guy I knew got a check for about an 8th of his monthly total compensation and was shown the door. They knew for months about this and nothing was done.

May 30, 2012
Well I didnt get the job I interviewed for last week. This is so frustrating. I dont want to be at this job forever. There are 3 people who have been atn my job for 10 &20 years. There is no where to move up.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Well I didnt get the job I interviewed for last week. This is so frustrating. I dont want to be at this job forever. There are 3 people who have been atn my job for 10 &20 years. There is no where to move up.
My last job our VP (who basically ran the company) while searching for a new engineering manager for our department told us that he was only going to hire someone with outside experience and not just experience at that company. Both myself and the other engineer were hired straight out of college, e.g. no outside experience but 3 years at the company... So I understand your situation somewhat. At the same time he would rant about how he hates being a "training ground" for engineers that just work a few years then leave. What else are they supposed to do when you hire them from college and put a ceiling over them that's touching their head?...

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Interview yesterday was not good. After it i wanted to cry.
I mean this in a positive way, have you thought about seeking help with your interviewing skills? There are services out there that can help you prepare for an interview that may be beneficial to you. It sounds like at this point that a new job is something you want very badly and since some of the interviews for new jobs haven't gone the way you hoped, that's compounded and could be negatively effect your future interviews?

May 30, 2012
I mean this in a positive way, have you thought about seeking help with your interviewing skills? There are services out there that can help you prepare for an interview that may be beneficial to you. It sounds like at this point that a new job is something you want very badly and since some of the interviews for new jobs haven't gone the way you hoped, that's compounded and could be negatively effect your future interviews?
I have been thinking about that. Im sure the unemployment office in stw has something like that.

May 30, 2012
I got a call yesterday during football 101 and it is kicker (same place as hubby works) I applied for a receptionist job and they want an interview. Basically a shoe in

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I got a call yesterday during football 101 and it is kicker (same place as hubby works) I applied for a receptionist job and they want an interview. Basically a shoe in
Nice! Good luck! I imagine that wouldn't be a terrible place to work... I'm assuming at the new main building at Boomer and not the old shop north of town on Perkins? (Or is kicker an adjective in this sentence...?)

May 30, 2012
Nice! Good luck! I imagine that wouldn't be a terrible place to work... I'm assuming at the new main building at Boomer and not the old shop north of town on Perkins?
Thanks. It went really well. They had a few more applicants. They liked that I was huge Osu fan one of the ladies who would be my boss said "someone to talk sports with"..I should know by end of week. Yes they are all in the building by the lake. They just recently moved all.employees to the new building.

The one issue that has came up is one of ladies who I interviewed with is very close to my current employer...

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Thanks. It went really well. They had a few more applicants. They liked that I was huge Osu fan one of the ladies who would be my boss said "someone to talk sports with"..I should know by end of week. Yes they are all in the building by the lake. They just recently moved all.employees to the new building.

The one issue that has came up is one of ladies who I interviewed with is very close to my current employer...
If she has even an ounce of professionalism it shouldn't be an issue. When I interviewed I told the company I was interviewing that they couldn't contact my employer at the time until after I was hired. If your current employer doesn't know you're looking or interviewing then it's no one else's business aside from yours to share that information with them.

May 30, 2012
Guess what guys!!! I got the job at kicker!!. Now to put in my 2 weeks. Kicker is going to let me work until 330 and then id go to my current job from 4-11.

May 30, 2012
Well I gave my 2 weeks notice. I gave myself an ulcer thinking about it last night. I didn't think I would have this much trouble doing it. I have worked here for 4 years.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Well I gave my 2 weeks notice. I gave myself an ulcer thinking about it last night. I didn't think I would have this much trouble doing it. I have worked here for 4 years.
Congratulations! Yeah, I have to say, I had planned out in my head how I was going give my notice and what I thought I would feel wasn't at all how it went. One of the most awkwardly satisfying moments in my life so far.

How did they take it? My manager (who had only been there 3 weeks) had no idea it was coming and our HR manager had an idea when I asked her to arrange a meeting but was hoping she was wrong. (I had her arrange a meeting because my manager didn't actually have his own office. It was just our 4 desks in one room and I wasn't going to just walk up to his desk in front of everyone and give him my notice...)

May 30, 2012
They took it pretty well it seems. Tomorrow we have an employee meeting and she will tell the rest of the employees. Not sure how they'll take it but oh well I thought it would be more difficult than what it was

May 30, 2012
Well today at our meeting my work got me a going away cake, balloons, and a card announced to the other employees I was leaving. I don't want to work 2 jobs back to back but I will (maybe, hopefully)