2 week notice advice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 30, 2012
I absolutely HATE my job for various reasons but mainly because it is becoming a strain on my marriage, opposite shifts days off, no place for advancement (3 of the ladies who work here have been in the same position have been working here for 20+ years) and just plain BS of the job. September would be my 4th year anniversary. I've been looking for another job for a few months or so had a few interviews and a job offer I didn't accept that job. Well I have a job interview on wednesday with the city of Stillwater, I really want this job. So my question would be do I go ahead and just put in my 2 weeks because I hate this job, and give them heads up to hire someone else or do I not count my eggs before the hatch?

My boss is always saying to do whats best for me and my family, but somehow I believe she doesn't believe that and when I turn in my 2 weeks they will be devasted. I keep this place together, but I'm tired of it.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I never put in notice until a start date is set. Until I'm secure I keep my head down, it's just business.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
This. Get signed contract in hand before you do anything with your current employer.
Realize some jobs don't have signed contracts, but a passed drug test, completed background check, credit check or other requirements and s start date is good enough for me.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I waited until all of my drug tests/background checks had passed and I signed the acceptance letter before I put in my notice. I wanted to be sure there wasn't ANY possibility of me getting screwed. When I DID give my notice I set up a meeting with both my manager and someone from HR at the same time. I wanted to be sure that anything that was said was heard by HR.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
When I DID give my notice I set up a meeting with both my manager and someone from HR at the same time. I wanted to be sure that anything that was said was heard by HR.
Yeah - I generally provide written notice to my manager and HR the same day. It is usually the same letter. The last time I did this, was one of the happiest days of my life. Really. It was a day I had looked forward to for 4 years. It was awesome.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
If an employee gives us notice we confiscate their computer and show them the door. We do a forensic test of the hard drive. If they haven't copied, downloaded or stolen any of our data we give them a severance check.

Jan 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
It all depends on your situation. If you don't need the money, and you're not happy with your current position, then go ahead and give the two week notice.

Just keep in mind, nothing is a sure thing.

A lot of engineers that I've worked with won't even disclose where they're going, until after they start their new job. You just never know what can derail something like this.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I waited until all of my drug tests/background checks had passed and I signed the acceptance letter before I put in my notice. I wanted to be sure there wasn't ANY possibility of me getting screwed. When I DID give my notice I set up a meeting with both my manager and someone from HR at the same time. I wanted to be sure that anything that was said was heard by HR.
THIS. I'm going through the exact same thing right now. Problem is, my mind is half on my current job and half on my next job. Scrambling around with paper work, sneaking away to a lab to take a pee test...a real pain.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
THIS. I'm going through the exact same thing right now. Problem is, my mind is half on my current job and half on my next job. Scrambling around with paper work, sneaking away to a lab to take a pee test...a real pain.
Yeah, I was late/at a long lunch more the week leading up to my notice than in my entire 3 years there... Luckily my manager had only been there for about 3 weeks so he didn't realize it wasn't normal for me.

May 30, 2012
As much as I hate this job it is better for me to wait and see how the interview goes just in case. I don't want to burn any bridges.

I have my interview tomorrow at 1:30 so if everyone can say a quick good luck for me it would be appreciated. This is a M-5 normal hour job with almost twice the pay I have now.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Good luck with the interview. I completely understand the situation. My new job is only about 15% more pay but it's only about 20% of work and stress and I was dealing with before. Well worth the move.

Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
As much as I hate this job it is better for me to wait and see how the interview goes just in case. I don't want to burn any bridges.

I have my interview tomorrow at 1:30 so if everyone can say a quick good luck for me it would be appreciated. This is a M-5 normal hour job with almost twice the pay I have now.
So how did the interview go?

May 30, 2012
My Interview was at the City of Stillwater for Customer Service Rep. I think it went well. Was interviewed by 3 different people in the room. Said they had to finish interviews today and would have to get the City Attorney to sign off.

They asked the normal questions and I had a new question I've never been asked before. What was my favorite Candy. I didn't notice that one of the ladies would smile, nod in agreement whenever I said something. Not sure if I'm reading too much into it.

Feb 25, 2008
My Interview was at the City of Stillwater for Customer Service Rep. I think it went well. Was interviewed by 3 different people in the room. Said they had to finish interviews today and would have to get the City Attorney to sign off.

They asked the normal questions and I had a new question I've never been asked before. What was my favorite Candy. I didn't notice that one of the ladies would smile, nod in agreement whenever I said something. Not sure if I'm reading too much into it.
Hope this wasn't your favorite candy.