1997 season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
One of my favorite football seasons for lots of reasons. I enrolled in 1989, so obviously I suffered through the worst of it. I lived in Dallas after I graduated and remember being downtown when K-State was in the Cotton Bowl, maybe 96, and how much fun their fans were having downtown before the game. I had never been to a bowl game as a student or fan, and really envied them. Then I was there when we beat Texas with Ricky Williams. Was really a fun year, and forgive me if my memories don't line up with reality, that was many moons ago.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
you are right. did a little research and found it was in that general period. had it in my head Simmons was there when it happened, in particular that horrid flame logo
That wasn’t a horrid flame logo. It was a brand. When you brand an animal sometimes the hair catches fire briefly. It was very appropriate for Cowboys.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That wasn’t a horrid flame logo. It was a brand. When you brand an animal sometimes the hair catches fire briefly. It was very appropriate for Cowboys.
I agree and thought it was one of our best options ever...didn't catch on but I thought it was pretty cool and kids liked it. But, what do I know, I think Pistol Pete ought to have a black stetson and that "Cowboys Forever" was just fine for a one year entry video.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
While in Jr High and High School, I actually did branding on cattle. Cptn is correct.

Also, what most people don't realize is the smell of burning flesh was also present.

And for some people thinking "how could they brand a cow....it would just run away". Well, the cow was put in a "cattle chute" to immobilize it.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
While in Jr High and High School, I actually did branding on cattle. Cptn is correct.

Also, what most people don't realize is the smell of burning flesh was also present.

And for some people thinking "how could they brand a cow....it would just run away". Well, the cow was put in a "cattle chute" to immobilize it.
Yep. I still do it. Been doing it for over 40 years.

Feb 18, 2009
I think my favorite part of the 97 season was watching multiple Purdue fans get their asses kicked on the river walk for being mouthy SOB's. Saw two different punks standing out in the water after being tossed from the sidewalk by dudes in orange who had just been sitting there enjoying a beer. One dude was still holding a table out in the water like he was going to do something. So funny.

Aug 16, 2012
Will have to agree to disagree. As someone trained in branding (corporate, not cattle) and graphic arts, it was sophomoric in execution and as you felt compelled to do here, it violated a core tenet of any corporate branding.... if you have to explain it (logo, slogan, etc), it did not work. IMO, the fact it was dropped after only a few years speaks volumes. JMO

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Will have to agree to disagree. As someone trained in branding (corporate, not cattle) and graphic arts, it was sophomoric in execution and as you felt compelled to do here, it violated a core tenet of any corporate branding.... if you have to explain it (logo, slogan, etc), it did not work. IMO, the fact it was dropped after only a few years speaks volumes. JMO
You’re right. I disagree with you.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I was living in Patio Club apartment right across from the stadium that year. So many great memories from early in the year, and so many not so good from later in the year. The Colorado game in particular was great, I remember it rained off and on and the celebration in Stillwater went well into the night.....and of course beating Texas was good, even though there were down that year. Got to 6-0, bowl eligible and things were going great.

Then Missouri happened. Ugh, such an exciting game with such a disappointing end. Alonzo Mayes was a freaking beast but the 46 got exposed that game. We had two very good CB's (both ended up playing in the NFL I believe) and we left them on an island all damn game long.

Then A&M happened. Not an exciting game.....up 15 points late and couldn't hang on. But the worst was the Tech game. I remember walking into the stadium and my friend saying; "how many times are we going to see bullet today?". Well turns out it was none.

Crushing ou to end the year was awesome though, I remember sitting in a bar in Norman talking to an ou fan, who just shook his head and said "man, y'all just killed us". Then the Alamo was my first OSU bowl game, and even though we lost, it is still to this day, my favorite bowl trip, and I've been to a lot of them in the years since. The River walk was fun and the Purdue fans were great, I still to this day pull for Purdue in the Big 10 because of that bowl trip. Then we stayed for New Year's Eve in San Antonio and that night is it's own story. :D

All in all, a fun football season.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
I feel like the plane crash had a lot more to do with it being dropped than anything else. I think what we have now, without the beveling, is the best of what came from that logo set, but the flaming brand was really nice too.

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I was a sophomore at OSU during that season. It was a lot of fun. I had not seen a winning OSU season since Barry Sanders won the Heisman and I was 10. We were just two defensive stops from being 10-1 instead of 8-3. I think it also shows you the levels that we've reached post millennium that now a season like that seems "ho-hum," but back then it was a really big deal. (only time in history we beat OU 3 out of 4 seasons, I believe).