1997 season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2014
I was a toddler in 1988, so the 1997 Alamo Bowl season was the first time I got to experience football success as an OSU fan. A lot of great memories from that year, but also some really haunting what ifs (Mizzou, A&M).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIGgOz1wAJg

Aug 7, 2006
Same here. I wish Tony Lindsay could've stayed healthy... would've been fun to see him in the zone-read offense we ran with Robinson.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
it looked good on paper, but we lost to every team that we played that ended up ranked... and we didn't even have to play #2 Nebraska or #8 KState that year.

Simmons was over his head, even with Les Miles and Rob Ryan as OC and DC.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
it looked good on paper, but we lost to every team that we played that ended up ranked... and we didn't even have to play #2 Nebraska or #8 KState that year.

Simmons was over his head, even with Les Miles and Rob Ryan as OC and DC.
It looked good anywhere in the universe, good grief. From the depths the program had fallen to, to actually getting back to a bowl, let alone a fairly decent one, it was a great season.

Going back & looking at our attendance for that season, talk about strange. We had over 45k for Texas & Colorado in back to back weeks. Then we come off a bye week, are 6-0 & ranked #12 & draw 33k for the Mizzou game.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
My first year at OSU, I remember when we beat Texas and Ricky Williams had about 40 yards. That was a great season

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
It looked good anywhere in the universe, good grief. From the depths the program had fallen to, to actually getting back to a bowl, let alone a fairly decent one, it was a great season.

Going back & looking at our attendance for that season, talk about strange. We had over 45k for Texas & Colorado in back to back weeks. Then we come off a bye week, are 6-0 & ranked #12 & draw 33k for the Mizzou game.
cloudy, cold and at time torrential rains in the 1st half, with an 11:30 am start.

Sun came out the 2nd half and OSU and Mayes lit it up from there.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

It wasn't that strange to only draw that for Mizzou as they weren't a large traveling fanbase at the time plus the weather sucked as mentioned before. Texas obviously is and Colorado was still fairly fresh off a national title an Simmons and Co were a part of that. This was also before we built the loyal fanbase for football that we now enjoy. This is a good reminder of just how far we had fallen since the mid to late 1980's and this was indeed a great season that IMHO started what we have now. Simmons was a good coach and is to be credited to the real fans where orange craze that changed our game day from very bland to the outstanding environment we have today. This was the first year i took my daughter to games (she's 26 now and an OSU grad). It was also the first bowl game I attended since the Gator bowl when I was in college. The end of that video has a season ticket ad staring Mr. Bill Teegins who is greatly missed ...Btw, tickets were $198 for a season...1998 was the first year I bought them.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
It wasn't that strange to only draw that for Mizzou as they weren't a large traveling fanbase at the time plus the weather sucked as mentioned before. Texas obviously is and Colorado was still fairly fresh off a national title an Simmons and Co were a part of that. This was also before we built the loyal fanbase for football that we now enjoy. This is a good reminder of just how far we had fallen since the mid to late 1980's and this was indeed a great season that IMHO started what we have now. Simmons was a good coach and is to be credited to the real fans where orange craze that changed our game day from very bland to the outstanding environment we have today. This was the first year i took my daughter to games (she's 26 now and an OSU grad). It was also the first bowl game I attended since the Gator bowl when I was in college. The end of that video has a season ticket ad staring Mr. Bill Teegins who is greatly missed ...Btw, tickets were $198 for a season...1998 was the first year I bought them.
OSU always had a loyal fanbase. I just wasn't as large as today. I recall attending games in the early-mid 90's with 25,000 or so, watching a totally non competitive product. Those were diehards. This thread stirred up some potent memories; Simmons helped the program, but he was over his head; the Texas band marching obnoxiously thru the tailgating lot (they were a lot quieter after the game); McQuarters; The Alamo Bowl tho Purdue had more horsepower and finally realizing the program had taken a large step up.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Lots of great points about how impactful this team was. What is being overlooked is that the team was 6-0 when Alonzo separated his shoulder. He still made a big TD catch in that Mizzou game after the injury, but the offense wasn’t the same without big #85. Early in the Alamo Bowl Tony just missed Garret Steggs (if my memory is correct) it would not have been an easy catch at all but was the type of play Alonzo might have been able to make. If we have him on the 2pt play against Mizzou, or that heartbreaker in College Station, we might have had another win or two. The only game we weren’t in was the Tech game.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
That Alamo Bowl was my first bowl game of many to follow. That's where I learned that the bowl atmosphere is so much bigger than I had imagined. It really is electric for several days leading up to the game. Walking up & down the San Antonio Riverwalk with 1,000's of Cowboy fans was awesome.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That Alamo Bowl was my first bowl game of many to follow. That's where I learned that the bowl atmosphere is so much bigger than I had imagined. It really is electric for several days leading up to the game. Walking up & down the San Antonio Riverwalk with 1,000's of Cowboy fans was awesome.
Orange power across the river was really cool. That was a fun trip even though we lost.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
OSU always had a loyal fanbase. I just wasn't as large as today. I recall attending games in the early-mid 90's with 25,000 or so, watching a totally non competitive product. Those were diehards. This thread stirred up some potent memories; Simmons helped the program, but he was over his head; the Texas band marching obnoxiously thru the tailgating lot (they were a lot quieter after the game); McQuarters; The Alamo Bowl tho Purdue had more horsepower and finally realizing the program had taken a large step up.
Certainly we have...it was just a lot smaller...that was my point. I can't remember, did Drew Brees start for Purdue that year? He would have been a freshmen or sophomore.

Aug 16, 2012
I think logos changed around 2000 or 2001. One thing is for sure, the prairie wind hadn’t yet touched our skin in 1997....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you are right. did a little research and found it was in that general period. had it in my head Simmons was there when it happened, in particular that horrid flame logo