1945 Football National Championship Team

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Thanks for letting us know about your F-I-L. All of us Oklahoma Aggie Cowboys also want to thank you Texas Aggies for pulling Boone Pickens's basketball scholarship after his freshman years. Nobody knows exactly where we would be without Boone but it would be considirably short of where we are now.
Poke John I
I don't know who down-voted this, but don't do it for my benefit. I'm not offended. Boone has certainly been a curse and a blessing, depending on who you ask. It is a bit funny that he was at TAMC on a $25 scholarship, and the Aggie coach withdrew it after a year.

Might have been a pretty good investment to have gone ahead and paid the other $75 bucks to keep him. From an old (Texas) Aggie yearbook

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I don't know who down-voted this, but don't do it for my benefit. I'm not offended. Boone has certainly been a curse and a blessing, depending on who you ask. It is a bit funny that he was at TAMC on a $25 scholarship, and the Aggie coach withdrew it after a year.

Might have been a pretty good investment to have gone ahead and paid the other $75 bucks to keep him. From an old (Texas) Aggie yearbook

I love how they are referred to as the "shorthorns" even back then. Lol

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
I love how they are referred to as the "shorthorns" even back then. Lol
It's not an Aggie nickname, it's what they called themselves. This was back when freshmen weren't allowed on varsity. All the SWC teams had freshman-only teams, and the nicknames were often based off the varsity team name. So for t.u. it was Longhorns varsity, Shorthorns freshmen. Tech's fish were called Picadors, I think, Baylor had Bears/Cubs, etc.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Sorry I don't have more from Bob's time at OAMC, but here's some high school stuff. It's probably typical of the other players of the day.

A high school football program

Check out who is #75 on that same Shawnee High School team

Unless I'm badly mistaken, that is the other surviving member of the OAMC 1945 team, Clarence Tully.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Some even earlier Oklahoma high school football stuff. Bob was All-State his senior year. Forty years earlier, so was his dad. From the 1915 Shawnee high school yearbook.

Middle row, end. Pretty strong family resemblance

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
It's not an Aggie nickname, it's what they called themselves. This was back when freshmen weren't allowed on varsity. All the SWC teams had freshman-only teams, and the nicknames were often based off the varsity team name. So for t.u. it was Longhorns varsity, Shorthorns freshmen. Tech's fish were called Picadors, I think, Baylor had Bears/Cubs, etc.
I call my fish dinner!

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Given that the photo was taken about two hours before kickoff, maybe not. Reference back to the earlier page, where I posted a photo looking out of the same seats at kickoff.
I get that but it doesn't mean someone wouldn't have fun with it.