1945 Football National Championship Team

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
@CanyonAg77 Reference this thread for the location of Orange Power's tailgate. Make sure to introduce yourself (everyone is friendly) and you'll have plenty of food and drink. Hope to meet all of you!

https://www.orangepower.com/threads...-tcu-horned-frog-edition.236843/#post-3657694
I appreciate it, and would enjoy meeting folks. However, our priority is obviously taking care of Bob and my M-I-L. And, we've been invited to the Letterman's lunch 2 hours before kickoff, so that's where we'll be.

On a side note, there is a very slim possibility that one of Bob's relatives will participate in the game flyover. Again, it's just a possibility, but if it happens (or even if it doesn't) I'll let you know.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Don't know if you're going to have a flyover, but Bob's granddaughter will not be a part of it if you do. Our daughter is a T-6 FAIP and was working.on getting to do the flyover, but didn't happen. Here's hoping you get a cool flyover by somebody.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Wow. Great game, and the OSU staff went above and beyond in taking care of Bob. Will try to post more later, but wanted to throw out a quick thanks to all, especially Keegan Davis, who worked his butt off to take care of us.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
So, I have to apologize to you guys, I intended to post some updates, I'll try to add a few in the next few days. Life interferes, like all of you I got busy and moved on.

As I mentioned before I abandoned this thread, The Oklahoma State Athletic Department offered to host Bob at a game, and boy, did they deliver. Pre-game Letterman's Luncheon, Seats in a suite, and post-game tour of the training facilities. You guys also kicked Baylor's butt, which warmed the heart of this Texas Aggie.

I really can't say enough good things about Keegan Davis. With all his other game-day duties, he made sure we were taken care of in every way. The fans and everyone else we met were great, but Keegan went way above the call of duty.

The day started with the Letterman's Luncheon

And our seats would be here

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
So this is a pennant from the Sugar Bowl

And here's a little better shot of the end where Bob signed it.

This is an interesting artifact to me. The greats from that team, like Bob Fenimore and Neill Armstrong signed it. And a lowly freshman guard named Bob Faucette. Now, why is that?

As I mentioned earlier, Bob's mom came to watch the Sugar Bowl game that year, and brought with her Bob's draft notice. Bob left school, and enlisted in the Navy, to fulfill that obligation. As he was packing his bags in Stillwater, after the game, the coach called him in to his office and had him sign the pennant that all the stars had signed.

Bob was just an 18-year-old kid, had started 9 games as a fish. He was pretty darn good, but not yet great. Bob really didn't know why the coach had him sign, but my guess was that the coach expected him back in two years, tougher and even more mature. He was probably salivating at the prospect.

To the coach's dismay, Bob ended up at the other school when he returned, mainly because he switched majors from engineering to geology. Bob went out for football at (that school) but the OKAM coach found out, and made him sit out a year of eligibility. Bob worked out with their team the next year, but he injured his knee and decided he was done with football.

It's sort of a shame, because if he had played that season, he would have been in the unusual position of having played on two different National Championship Teams, at two different schools.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2004
Portland, OR.
Greetings to all my OSU friends, from a Texas Aggie. Congrats on the recent designation as NC for 1945. I missed it when it was announced. I only found it recently, while Googling for some photos for a birthday party that's coming soon. My father-in-law was a member of that team. He turns 90 in a few weeks, and we're having a little celebration for him.

We are pretty sure that he has not heard the news about the NC. We plan on surprising him with the info at the party. To that end, we have ordered the T-shirt with the team photo. We also reached out to the OSU athletic department, to see if they had done anything to celebrate the team. We received a very gracious call back from Larry Reece, and he is sending us some mementos to present at the party. He also said they would be happy to host my F-I-L if he can visit for a game.

News articles from last year said there were only three survivors known from the NC team. My F-I-L was the fourth. Larry told me that two have passed since then, so the number is now two, counting my F-I-L. He is still in very good health, and his mind is as sharp as ever. We think he will be thrilled to hear the news.

My F-I-L left Oklahoma A&M to serve a tour in the Navy, then finished his degree at.....er....ah....that other school in Norman. That's probably why OSU lost track of him. He also earned an MS degree, and had a successful career in the oil industry.

No identifying information or photos right now, I'll fill in that information after we surprise him. Just thought you folks would enjoy hearing that there is another surviving member. And I wanted to say thanks to the OSU Athletic Department for their generosity.

More in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for letting us know about your F-I-L. All of us Oklahoma Aggie Cowboys also want to thank you Texas Aggies for pulling Boone Pickens's basketball scholarship after his freshman years. Nobody knows exactly where we would be without Boone but it would be considirably short of where we are now.
Poke John I

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Bob went to high school in Shawnee, and the Shawnee schools have a museum with a lot of old photos, yearbooks, and football game programs. Some of the photos below are from them, some are family photos.

Bob was a heck of an athlete, and darn smart. An IQ test supposedly had him in the 140-150 range. His high school and OKAM grades weren't that great. He really wasn't a serious student until after his Navy tour. Too busy playing sports, I believe.

In high school, he also ran track. One of his track teammates was a good friend. They used to go hunting, fishing and frog gigging around Shawnee.

jr year track with gordon cooper edit.jpg

That guy's name was Gordon Cooper. I hear he went on to accomplish great things, too.

jr year track with gordon cooper edit copy.jpg

Last edited:

NTXPoke

Wrangler
Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Thanks for posting--the history is amazing! My grandfather played football (and basketball) at OAMC in 1930 - 1935. I wish we had some of this memorabilia from him.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
This photo was found by "casdas", but has disappeared from the thread. I'll attempt to repost it from my files. The caption for this photo from the Daily Oklahoman of August 18, 1945, read: "That's Bill Grimes (left), Comanche back, and Bob Faucette, Shawnee tackle, wrestling a bed and they're big enough to do it."

Bill_Grimes_Bob_Faucette002.jpg

Bob said he graduated from high school on a Friday, and was on a train to Stillwater Monday morning to do two-a-day workouts. As I recall, they didn't take any breaks from practice, except Christmas. He says that by the end of the summer, he was strong enough to run through a brick wall, and probably would have done it.

His story on this photo is that the last week before the fall semester began, the coach loaded the entire team up on buses, and took them to Langston College, the all-black college of the time. As I understand Bob's version, this was to finalize the starting roster for the fall semester. And the reason for the move to Langston was to get the players away from any on-campus distractions. I took that to mean booze and girls. Was probably pretty easy to keep track of a bunch of white kids down there.

I'm not real sure where they stayed (looks like the gym floor), but this photo is of them setting up cots for their time at Langston.

Last edited: