1945 Football National Championship Team

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Greetings to all my OSU friends, from a Texas Aggie. Congrats on the recent designation as NC for 1945. I missed it when it was announced. I only found it recently, while Googling for some photos for a birthday party that's coming soon. My father-in-law was a member of that team. He turns 90 in a few weeks, and we're having a little celebration for him.

We are pretty sure that he has not heard the news about the NC. We plan on surprising him with the info at the party. To that end, we have ordered the T-shirt with the team photo. We also reached out to the OSU athletic department, to see if they had done anything to celebrate the team. We received a very gracious call back from Larry Reece, and he is sending us some mementos to present at the party. He also said they would be happy to host my F-I-L if he can visit for a game.

News articles from last year said there were only three survivors known from the NC team. My F-I-L was the fourth. Larry told me that two have passed since then, so the number is now two, counting my F-I-L. He is still in very good health, and his mind is as sharp as ever. We think he will be thrilled to hear the news.

My F-I-L left Oklahoma A&M to serve a tour in the Navy, then finished his degree at.....er....ah....that other school in Norman. That's probably why OSU lost track of him. He also earned an MS degree, and had a successful career in the oil industry.

No identifying information or photos right now, I'll fill in that information after we surprise him. Just thought you folks would enjoy hearing that there is another surviving member. And I wanted to say thanks to the OSU Athletic Department for their generosity.

More in a couple of weeks.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Greetings to all my OSU friends, from a Texas Aggie. Congrats on the recent designation as NC for 1945. I missed it when it was announced. I only found it recently, while Googling for some photos for a birthday party that's coming soon. My father-in-law was a member of that team. He turns 90 in a few weeks, and we're having a little celebration for him.

We are pretty sure that he has not heard the news about the NC. We plan on surprising him with the info at the party. To that end, we have ordered the T-shirt with the team photo. We also reached out to the OSU athletic department, to see if they had done anything to celebrate the team. We received a very gracious call back from Larry Reece, and he is sending us some mementos to present at the party. He also said they would be happy to host my F-I-L if he can visit for a game.

News articles from last year said there were only three survivors known from the NC team. My F-I-L was the fourth. Larry told me that two have passed since then, so the number is now two, counting my F-I-L. He is still in very good health, and his mind is as sharp as ever. We think he will be thrilled to hear the news.

My F-I-L left Oklahoma A&M to serve a tour in the Navy, then finished his degree at.....er....ah....that other school in Norman. That's probably why OSU lost track of him. He also earned an MS degree, and had a successful career in the oil industry.

No identifying information or photos right now, I'll fill in that information after we surprise him. Just thought you folks would enjoy hearing that there is another surviving member. And I wanted to say thanks to the OSU Athletic Department for their generosity.

Our resident historian @casdas may be able to assist you with some info if you give him his name. He has EVERYTHING!

Mar 8, 2010
Wow! That story warmed my heart. Even the most obnoxious goner should find that story heart warming. His generation truly is the greatest generation!

Apr 13, 2007
I too had a relative on that team. At least I am pretty sure it was him. Same name not a common name etc.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
When they awarded OKAM the '45 Championship I was so happy... but realized Neill Armstrong passed away just 2 months before they made the announcement. He went to my church in Tish for so many years, such a neat man who always said that 45 team was the best in the country that season. Wish he had been alive to see that trophy.

Apr 13, 2007
@CanyonAg77 @Golden If you want to give their names, I'll see if I have anything from those teams thats related to them.
My Grandfather had two Brothers move to Oklahoma in the late 1800s. One was John Riddle and the other was Curry Riddle. Curry had a Son, Jack who returned to Florida and attended the University of Florida but he would have been too old for the 1945 team. However there was a bunch of Grandchildren and Jack would have been a common name for them. There was a Jack Riddle on the 45 team.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Yet another attempt at editing: I don't know why it keeps giving me the "sneaky url" error message. So I'll try a line at a time.

I appreciate everyone's replies so far. No one can rain on my parade, so any flak won't bug me.

We will keep my FIL's identity quiet for two more weeks. I highly doubt that anyone here could or would spoil the surprise, but we'll not take that chance. After he knows, I'll try to let you know his name. And I'll try to post photos as soon as I get back to a good Internet connection.

If anyone has photos available online for his video presentation, I'd appreciate a link, private message or an email. My trash email address is my username here, at hotmail d o t c o m

And there's the problem
. If I write d o t c o m without spaces, your forum software freaks out.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
My GGrandfather had two Brothers move to Oklahoma in the late 1800s. One was John Riddle and the other was Curry Riddle. Curry had a Son, Jack who returned to Florida and attended the University of Florida but he would have been too old for the 1945 team. However there was a bunch of Grandchildren and Jack would have been a common name for them. There was a Jack Riddle on the 45 team.
Here is Jack Riddle's picture (#65) and autograph from a 1944-45 team photo I have. Jack Riddle was a letterman on this Cotton Bowl winning team.
20170902_185416.jpg

Brucew84

Greenhorn
Aug 21, 2005
Stillwater, OK

CanyonAg, I work for OSU athletics and accompanied Larry Reece to Mrs. Fenimore's home as the athletic department broke the news. It was an incredible experience. While we were there, she called Mrs. Armstrong with the news. It meant the world to them that the team was honored with the championship. Very cool...

Apr 13, 2007
Thanks for that photo.

Number 65 does not resemble Curry Riddle or members of my family but he is almost a dead ringer for John Riddle I don't know much about John except he died in Oklahoma City and was the oldest of the 9 Riddle children. He also was probably the most wealthy.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
So a little additional story, I found out why he only played one semester for OK A&M. His mom and his aunt came to the Sugar Bowl in NOLA to see him play. When they did, they brought with them a letter they had received at his home address, from Uncle Sam, "Greetings..."

Rather than be drafted, he enlisted for two years in the Navy. His friends made fun of him for going regular Navy, not reserves, like they did, and only serve 90 days active. When the Korean War broke out, he had the last laugh. His commitment was over, they got recalled.

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
So, apparently my FIL still has his OKAM letter jacket. We fibbed to him a little bit and convincd him to bring it to the party. The jersey is his high school football jersey. It IS NOT the same number he wore in college. Number 44 for OKAM was Cecil Hankins, not my FIL.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
It would be epic if it turns out that the FIL is a regular contributor to op.com... even better if it is blue collar hero or tigertuff or tj.. but seriously, good stuff!

Aug 29, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Sorry, FIL is not an Internet forum guy. We had the party today, he was surprised and thrilled by the news and the gifts. Will get some good photos later and post them.

My father in law is James Robert (Bob) Faucette, originally from Shawnee, Oklahoma, where he was an all state tackle in high school in 1944. He started 6 of the 9 games that season as a guard for Oklahoma A&M.

He is number 51 in the team photo from 1945.

After college, he worked for Cities Service as an exploration geologist, in Montana, New Mexico, Bartlesville, Oklahoma and Houston, Texas. After retiring from Cities, he ran his own company in Edmond, Oklahoma, and finally retired to Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

His health is still amazing, and he's still sharp as a tack. We hope we can convince him to attend a game this year.

About his only comment thus far after learning he was a member of the NC team was: "I guess I was a pretty good football player."

Happy 90th birthday, Bob!

Last edited: