+17.5?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

HolyGuacamole

Guacamole Eater
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Since Gundy has been at OSU, OSU has been a double digit underdog 9 times. Our record (straight up) in those 9 games is 2-7 with the wins coming against Texas Tech in '05 and Missouri in '08.

Texas A&M (20 points)
Iowa State (14 points)
Texas (37.5 points)
Texas Tech (23 points)
Oklahoma (18.5 points)

Texas (17.5 points)

Oklahoma (13.5 points)

Missouri (14 points)
Texas (11 points)

OSU was a 6.5 underdog @ Georgia to open the '07 season.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
About what we should've expected. Defending national champions led by returning heisman trophy winner vs a rebuilding Cowboys squad in a big game atmosphere at a neutral site. I see us either winning outright or losing by more than the spread, not sure why.

May 30, 2009
Tulsa
I'm actually suprised that we are ONLY 17.5 point underdogs. FSU blew out every team but Auburn last year, winning by an average of 45-50 points. They played some capable teams as well.

Now, I THINK we should be pretty dangerous this year, but 17.5 means we are essentially much better than every team FSU played last year, minus Auburn.

I do think it's pretty neat that we haven't been double digit underdogs in 5+ years.

LEGALPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 6, 2005
Oklahoma City
I'm actually suprised that we are ONLY 17.5 point underdogs. FSU blew out every team but Auburn last year, winning by an average of 45-50 points. They played some capable teams as well.

Now, I THINK we should be pretty dangerous this year, but 17.5 means we are essentially much better than every team FSU played last year, minus Auburn.

I do think it's pretty neat that we haven't been double digit underdogs in 5+ years.
False. See Boston College.

Jan 5, 2009
Lee's Summit, MO
Since Gundy has been at OSU, OSU has been a double digit underdog 9 times. Our record (straight up) in those 9 games is 2-7 with the wins coming against Texas Tech in '05 and Missouri in '08.

Texas A&M (20 points)
Iowa State (14 points)
Texas (37.5 points)
Texas Tech (23 points)
Oklahoma (18.5 points)

Texas (17.5 points)

Oklahoma (13.5 points)

Missouri (14 points)
Texas (11 points)

OSU was a 6.5 underdog @ Georgia to open the '07 season.
That 2008 UT game was in Austin when they were #1. We were at about midfield and driving with a couple minutes left in the game, down by 4. It was 4th and short and we tried that pass to Dez as he was coming across right behind the o-line. It was kind of a stupid play to be honest and he got tackled for a loss. Texas runs out the clock and wins.

My point of all this: Since 2008, even in the games that we were double-digit dogs, we won (Mizzou) or were very close to winning (UT).

LEGALPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 6, 2005
Oklahoma City
Still hammered some decent teams in there. See Clemson.
Not denying that, but played down to a poor team in BC. Just saying they're not immortal every week. They're a dang talented football team, but lost a LOT of talent. Granted, they are reloading. If you look at their last year beginning, the O started slow in several games. Key for us to jump out if we can, and keep the gas down. I still only give us a 10-20% chance of winning, but they are not immortal by any means. Auburn had every chance in the world to beat them.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
New to KCMO
WillPhillips.org
That's pretty incredible. Double digit dogs 5 times in 2005 and only four times overall since, and none since 2008. Just goes to show how far along we've come.
Perspective, man.

I know that some people get worked up that Gundy and his staff haven't performed like we wanted at Bedlam or won the Big XII more, but it still feels good to be where we've been the last few years.

It's going to be interesting this season so see how much rebuilding has to be done and how much is just reloading. Really young team, but I'm ready.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Not denying that, but played down to a poor team in BC. Just saying they're not immortal every week. They're a dang talented football team, but lost a LOT of talent. Granted, they are reloading. If you look at their last year beginning, the O started slow in several games. Key for us to jump out if we can, and keep the gas down. I still only give us a 10-20% chance of winning, but they are not immortal by any means. Auburn had every chance in the world to beat them.
Certainly they're not immortal, but the issue is the spread isn't that ridiculous since they hammered just about everyone they played, and that included some good teams. Out of 14 teams played, they failed to throttle two of them, and one of those games was the NC. They lost some talent, but they return the bulk of it. 17.5 is nowhere near disrespectful to us. The over/under looks like it's at 63. Would anyone really be that surprised if we lost 41-24? Disappointed? Sure. But, hopefully not surprised.

LEGALPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 6, 2005
Oklahoma City
Certainly they're not immortal, but the issue is the spread isn't that ridiculous since they hammered just about everyone they played, and that included some good teams. Out of 14 teams played, they failed to throttle two of them, and one of those games was the NC. They lost some talent, but they return the bulk of it. 17.5 is nowhere near disrespectful to us. The over/under looks like it's at 63. Would anyone really be that surprised if we lost 41-24? Disappointed? Sure. But, hopefully not surprised.
Think we were arguing the same point, but just different angles. I have no problem with the +17.5 whatsoever. My Arky buddy messaged me yesterday and was shocked by the line. I told him I think it could be a shade high, but that I probably wouldn't touch the game if I were him. I'm hopeful for a win, but I'd not be terribly upset if they did not cover. A blowout is a major disappointment for me, but not out of the realm of possibility. Good teams have a way of snowballing an opponent's mistakes... if we play sloppy at all, then we're in major trouble.

Last edited:
May 30, 2009
Tulsa
Yeah, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Berry Tramel wrote about FSU's slow starts last year. There were more than people think...against not-so-great teams.

Florida State’s offense in 2013 often was slow-starting. The Seminoles led Florida just 3-0 until five minutes remained in the second quarter. Both Miami and Pitt were tied with FSU 7-7 after one quarter. The ’Noles led Maryland just 7-0 after 11/2 quarters. Boston College led FSU 17-3 with 11 minutes left in the first half. Nevada trailed just 3-0 after one quarter.