$150,000!!!!!!???????? (Lamont Evan Bribery Thread)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
www.prgsales.com
I would be shocked out of my gourd if Self were directly implicated, but then again I was a Roy Williams fan until the NC classroom issues took him down several notches. Maybe I am just too old and naive about how dirty NCAA BB may have always been.
Just the fact that “The Club” has kept Eddie out of the HOF tells you how close knit and I am sure how “dirty” they can be. I don’t expect the Blue Bloods will get hit with anything out of this fiasco...but some program will have to pay.

Sep 9, 2013
louisville was on probation and was caught red handed by fbi paying a recruit 100k to sign with them. if the ncaa has even 1 ball, it's the death penalty.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
louisville was on probation and was caught red handed by fbi paying a recruit 100k to sign with them. if the ncaa has even 1 ball, it's the death penalty.
Considering the NCAA Basketball Tournament is the biggest source of revenue for the NCAA how hard do you really think they are going to come down on the big boys?

Jun 23, 2005
KU is really under the microscope now. Adidas bag man who has already plead guilty and is testifying as a cooperating witness for the feds said he has had a close friendship with Self for over ten years. Testified he met with Self at Opening Night in the Phog and told Self they would “help” with recruiting. That night he testified he made a large cash payment to KU recruit Preston’s mom at a hotel in Lawrence. Preston signs with KU the next month and shows up at KU driving a new Charger, which he wrecks. KU compliance sees that the Adidas bag man, who Self has known for 10 years, wire transferred cash to Preston’s mom to buy the car, which is registered to Preston’s deceased grandmother who lived in Florida. Preston and his mom lived in Texas. KU compliance director finds the explanation to be satisfactory!! The bag man also testified he was introduced to Dsouza’s Mom by a KU assistant coach, and he paid her $20K for D’Souza to sign with KU. Desouza is still on the team and KU maintains that he remains eligible. I like Bill Self, he is an OSU and all, but I honestly don’t see how he can survive this. KC Star seems to be getting very cynical of KU’s “we are a victim” stance. KU has two attorneys in NY monitoring the trial.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If the NCAA weren't getting exposed as a joke, I'd agree. Seems like the most likely result is the NCAA will have to clean house, at least on the basketball side. They've only dug into Adidas schools so far. This is nowhere near the end of the information we're going to get. I will happily come back and admit it if I'm wrong, but nearly all major programs are going to look terrible by the end of this (see KU with recent court testimony).

Jun 23, 2005
Evidentiary phase of this trial is over, closing arguments tomorrow and the jury begins deliberations Thursday. The judge refused to allow the defense to introduce tapes into evidence showing coaches at KU and LSU were involved in discussions regarding payments of cash and benefits to recruits. Seems like the judge has gutted the defense that the universities were not defrauded because their coaches knew that inducements were being paid to get players to attend their schools. Defense attorneys need to tie their theory together tomorrow in closing arguments or their clients are likely going to be convicted. So much for the criminal case, seems like the fates of KU, Louisville, NC State and LSU rest with the NCAA. The evidence was overwhelming and uncontroverted, big time basketball recruiting is purely driven by cash payments. No secrets anymore, it is now clear why KU, Duke, Kentucky, UNC etc., always get the top recruits. It’s a dirty business. Laughable that Coach K tries to blow it off as a blip on the screen.

Jun 23, 2005
Closing arguments are over and the jury begins deliberations Monday. I think the criminal case is too close to call, the verdict could go either way. The defense argued that Self, Pitino and their coaches are representatives of the universities and knew the defendants were paying money to get recruits to sign with their programs- there was no fraud. The government argues that the universities are separate from their coaches and the universities were defrauded into giving scholarships to ineligible players. If the jury buys that distinction the defendants will likely be convicted. If not, look for acquittals. Regardless of the criminal outcome, the trial generated a mountain of evidence that would support severe NCAA sanctions against KU, Louisville, NC State and LSU (their head coach was caught red handed in a wiretapped call with an FBI informant arranging a payment to a recruit!). NCAA says it will wait until after the feds complete their cases next April to begin investigations. This scandal is not going away anytime soon. Bill Self and his staff were in many ways the focal point of this trial. KU has to be extremely worried about the future of their program.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Closing arguments are over and the jury begins deliberations Monday. I think the criminal case is too close to call, the verdict could go either way. The defense argued that Self, Pitino and their coaches are representatives of the universities and knew the defendants were paying money to get recruits to sign with their programs- there was no fraud. The government argues that the universities are separate from their coaches and the universities were defrauded into giving scholarships to ineligible players. If the jury buys that distinction the defendants will likely be convicted. If not, look for acquittals. Regardless of the criminal outcome, the trial generated a mountain of evidence that would support severe NCAA sanctions against KU, Louisville, NC State and LSU (their head coach was caught red handed in a wiretapped call with an FBI informant arranging a payment to a recruit!). NCAA says it will wait until after the feds complete their cases next April to begin investigations. This scandal is not going away anytime soon. Bill Self and his staff were in many ways the focal point of this trial. KU has to be extremely worried about the future of their program.
Bill self in particular didn't come off looking great. This may be the downfall of one of our own. Maybe not, but it definitely doesn't look like he comes out clean.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I'm scared Lamont Evans trial will cast a similiar dark shadow on OSU.

DemBoys

Greenhorn
Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
Evans was only here one year and was obviously in business for himself long before he got here. He didn't land any big time recruits while he was here so I don't think it will look that bad for OSU other than Underwood brought in a guy who was on the take from street agents.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
thanks for all the insight, wook.............. crazy stuff

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Evans was only here one year and was obviously in business for himself long before he got here. He didn't land any big time recruits while he was here so I don't think it will look that bad for OSU other than Underwood brought in a guy who was on the take from street agents.
That's obviously the best case scenario for OSU. We'll see if it's anything worse than that.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That's obviously the best case scenario for OSU. We'll see if it's anything worse than that.
Why would it be worse? If ku did this for a decade they deserve probably more than what they'll get. OSU only had a guy who knew a guy? There should be no repercussions to OSU.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Why would it be worse? If ku did this for a decade they deserve probably more than what they'll get. OSU only had a guy who knew a guy? There should be no repercussions to OSU.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
KU doesn't have a former employee facing federal charges. We do. And the NCAA loves to hammer lesser programs, see Dez, Hart Lee, Andrew Oliver, etc.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
Bill Self alledgedly knew about payment to his recruits and requested it from Adidas...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self
That's what the defense attorney said in closing arguments. There was, however, no direct evidence linking Self to payments.

A 'not guilty' verdict would suggest the jury believed Self knew about or even directed the payments. A 'guilty' would suggest the opposite, that Ku and Self were victims of the Adidas hustle.