$150,000!!!!!!???????? (Lamont Evan Bribery Thread)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
1. dakich was like 30 years ago lol. nothing ever came of that clown's allegations
2. Huggins at cinn doesn't concern me. I said wvu. and i think huggins got in trouble at cinn bc his team had a 0.0 gpa for an entire year. not for money, but again wvu has oversight on its coaches.
3. huggins has said repeatedly he doesnt cheat. ppl saying kstate and cinn, but not wvu. there's a reason for that. wvu doesnt cheat.

wvu is also a tier one research university like many of the top big ten academic universities, and schools in that tier dont muddy their names over sports.
Dakich wasn't 30 years ago, it was 16 years ago. Cinci didn't get put on probation for graduation rates. They got put on probation for major NCAA rules violations involving Ruben Patterson & Charles Williams.

Huggins has a pretty shady past. The Bearcats were put on probation for NCAA violations under his watch. He had a dismal graduation rate until recently. He hit the recruiting trail and got close to AAU programs when he had to resign from Cinci. He was able to bring Michael Beasley & Billy Walker to K-State due to these connections. Beasely has already admitted that his mom received money when he was in high school. I don't think Huggins as ever been implicated in this, but odd are he was involved.

I actually like Coach Huggins. He's a hard nose coach and his teams are really fun to watch. He's at a good enough program now that he doesn't have to cheat to get good talent. I doubt he's cheating at WV, but he's still got a checkered past.

College basketball recruiting has been a cesspool ever since talented prospects started going to AAU programs. Even if kids didn't get paid during the recruiting process, a lot of times their coaches did. Sometimes teams even did this legally by hiring AAU coaches. Oklahoma State had the bad luck of hiring a dirty coach in Lamont Evans. They removed him immediately when all of this came out. We'll have to accept any penalty the NCAA sends our way and move on.

You're naive if you believe any major college basketball program is pure as the driven snow. That's practically impossible given the recruiting atmosphere we've had for the past few decades.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I think they'll discover that the main problem is with agents and assistants and not the schools or head coaches. The NBA needs to reign in these agents.
I think we'll get no punishment because we did nothing wrong as a university. Heck, we didn't even offer the kid to begin with.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk
Head coaches were all once assistants and are ultimately responsible for what their assistants do with their players.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
1. dakich was like 30 years ago lol. nothing ever came of that clown's allegations
2. Huggins at cinn doesn't concern me. I said wvu. and i think huggins got in trouble at cinn bc his team had a 0.0 gpa for an entire year. not for money, but again wvu has oversight on its coaches.
3. huggins has said repeatedly he doesnt cheat. ppl saying kstate and cinn, but not wvu. there's a reason for that. wvu doesnt cheat.

wvu is also a tier one research university like many of the top big ten academic universities, and schools in that tier dont muddy their names over sports.
Yeah Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois have NEVER had any controversy surrounding their sports teams...

Also Oklahoma State and everyone else in the Big 12 is a tier one research institution...

Are you trolling?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Yeah, tier 1 thing is absurd. FSU, USC, and pretty much every major sports school is also a tier 1 university. Plus, several of the schools named in this, as well as those that have recently made major headlines for improper benefits and cheating are likely more prestigious than WVU at research (Arizona, Texas, Ohio State, USC, as just a few examples). WVU is a good research institution, but there are far better places that have clearly gotten caught cheating within the last decade.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yeah Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Illinois have NEVER had any controversy surrounding their sports teams...

Also Oklahoma State and everyone else in the Big 12 is a tier one research institution...

Are you trolling?
Hate to be that guy, but Oklahoma State is a tier below WVU in research. He go the terminology wrong (it's called R1 again after they tried a "tier" system that no one understood), but WVU is R1 and Oklahoma State, Baylor, and TCU are the only big 12 schools that aren't. I also believe our conference has the lowest rate of R1 classifications in the power 5.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

1: Bless your heart.
2: Huggins definitely cheats on at least two things; basketball recruiting and his diet.
3: Bless your heart.

Sep 9, 2013
Proof positive!
Huggins doesnt need to cheat.
The crystal ball predicts WVU over Kentucky for a 5 star recruit. Ky's coach is a known cheater,
but dinner at Huggins house, we're being told, sealed the deal!!!

Home cooking trumps illegal cash.
Prospect Info
  • HIGH SCHOOLKennedy Catholic
  • HOME TOWNHermitage, PA
  • CLASS2019
Watch Highlights
247Sports Composite®

0.9915i
Crystal Ball® Predictions
  • West Virginia90%
  • Kentucky10%

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Proof positive!
The crystal ball predicts WVU over Kentucky for a 5 star recruit. Ky's coach is a known cheater,

Prospect Info
  • HOME TOWNHermitage, PA
  • CLASS2019
Watch Highlights
247Sports Composite®

0.9915i
  • West Virginia90%
  • Kentucky10%
Or it’s easier to exchange cash in private.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Proof positive!

Prospect Info
  • HOME TOWNHermitage, PA
  • CLASS2019
Watch Highlights
247Sports Composite®

0.9915i
  • West Virginia90%
  • Kentucky10%
Looks like y'all just did a better job cheating than UK on this one.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Proof positive!

Prospect Info
  • HOME TOWNHermitage, PA
  • CLASS2019
Watch Highlights
247Sports Composite®

0.9915i
  • West Virginia90%
  • Kentucky10%
But Kentucky is an R1 research university. I thought they didn't need to sully themselves with cheating?

I'm sure the report would absolutely detail if an agent got the kid's dad hooked up with a cush job, right? Recruiting outlets are known for reporting those sorts of things.

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
OSU is not an issue in this trial. Unsubstantiated herarsay. What and see what happens in the Evans trial in April.

Jun 23, 2005
The iron is getting hot for KU and Bill Self. Evidence which is undisputed by either side shows that families of KU players Desouza and Preston received large sums of cash from Adidas to sign with Kansas. Email from Adidas rep said he met with Self and his staff last year to discuss recruiting and said they would be there to “help” KU. Witness will be cross examined by defense lawyers tomorrow and they will undoubtedly try to get him to admit that KU coaches knew that Adidas was paying money to get them recruits and the school was not a “victim” of fraud, as alleged by the government. NC State and Louisville are also heavily implicated, as they had active coaches accused of making cash payments.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
The iron is getting hot for KU and Bill Self. Evidence which is undisputed by either side shows that families of KU players Desouza and Preston received large sums of cash from Adidas to sign with Kansas. Email from Adidas rep said he met with Self and his staff last year to discuss recruiting and said they would be there to “help” KU. Witness will be cross examined by defense lawyers tomorrow and they will undoubtedly try to get him to admit that KU coaches knew that Adidas was paying money to get them recruits and the school was not a “victim” of fraud, as alleged by the government. NC State and Louisville are also heavily implicated, as they had active coaches accused of making cash payments.
I would be shocked out of my gourd if Self were directly implicated, but then again I was a Roy Williams fan until the NC classroom issues took him down several notches. Maybe I am just too old and naive about how dirty NCAA BB may have always been.