$150,000!!!!!!???????? (Lamont Evan Bribery Thread)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Honestly, what does this guy have to benefit from lying and most especially about us? Just because you don't want it to be true, that doesn't mean he's lying. Maybe it wasn't 150k, but even then we may have to accept that one of our assistants did some sleazy things that could wind up hurting us and at least two other schools.
And maybe not. The rumors, innuendo, supposition, hearsay, etc. is running wild right now.....from OP members on this board!!! All we have is one guy who is thrown into the spotlight who is spouting off names that were reportedly making offers. If Bowen said, "Lamont Evans from OSU made me an offer", that would be one thing. What is being reported now is nothing of the sort, yet you guys are all in a panic.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
And you really think there was going to be some sort of discussion on an actual, official, OSU-level???? Just who at OSU was going to be "presented"??? Holder??

Coach: "Hey Coach Holder, congratulations on securing another million-dollar-plus donation to the Athletic Village. While we are at it, I need $150k to make an illegal payment to a recruit. Oh, and throw in another $8k for a really crappy car. We will be fine and all this work over the past decade-plus....will not be affected in the slightest."
When I say OSU, I meant donors, boosters alumni, etc. sorry for the misinterpretation

Dec 7, 2006
When I say OSU, I meant donors, boosters alumni, etc. sorry for the misinterpretation
I don't really think that's exactly how these bribes were working. The bribes weren't coming from the schools or the donor base -- they were coming from all the other associated parts that were trying to get in on the ground level before a player made it big: the agents, shoe companies, sponsors, etc.

The promisefrom these assistants was for the money to come to their school, but they were only intermediaries for the aforementioned parties. At that point, the assistant coaches were supposed to steer the player toward Adidas, Agent XYZ, or whatever. I'm not sure there has been a lot of allegations that the schools themselves or their donor base were involved, beyond a base recognition that this is how the process works and we need the best athletes to compete for championships.

teachum

Wrangler
Nov 6, 2010
I don't really think that's exactly how these bribes were working. The bribes weren't coming from the schools or the donor base -- they were coming from all the other associated parts that were trying to get in on the ground level before a player made it big: the agents, shoe companies, sponsors, etc.

The promisefrom these assistants was for the money to come to their school, but they were only intermediaries for the aforementioned parties. At that point, the assistant coaches were supposed to steer the player toward Adidas, Agent XYZ, or whatever. I'm not sure there has been a lot of allegations that the schools themselves or their donor base were involved, beyond a base recognition that this is how the process works and we need the best athletes to compete for championships.
Thank you, this is my understanding as well. And I think that is why specific assistant coaches are the subject of the investigations and not the schools they happened to be working for. The schools were just being used as the proving ground, although some were probably more complicit than others. When I first heard this story break, I immediately thought about Desmond Mason's proposal to be had coach and bring in all these ex-NBA players as assistants. I don't think Des is part of this sleaze, but the only reason the guys he was proposing to bring in would want to be at OSU was for this money train. I just wonder how much HCMB actually knew. That's the only relevant question for us fans in my opinion.

Sep 9, 2013
this goes on at EVERY school at the D1 level. I don't know why people are so surprised or why they think we don't do it as well. College sports are corrupt, that is just a sad fact
That is horseshit, that's just what crooked politicians and coaches claim when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Id be shocked if Pitt cheated. although i dislike them, i doubt they'd cheat to win.

WVU has never, ever, been accused of paying a player in any sport.
Huggins already said he welcomed the FBI probe and wvu had zero to worry about. He said everyone knows who cheats, and he said trust me, it isnt wvu.

Do people think stanford cheats? Army? Tulane? i mean some programs dont cheat, id say majority dont cheat.

Oct 30, 2007
That is horseshit, that's just what crooked politicians and coaches claim when they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Id be shocked if Pitt cheated. although i dislike them, i doubt they'd cheat to win.

Huggins already said he welcomed the FBI probe and wvu had zero to worry about. He said everyone knows who cheats, and he said trust me, it isnt wvu.

Do people think stanford cheats? Army? Tulane? i mean some programs dont cheat, id say majority dont cheat.
https://www.smokingmusket.com/2018/...y-die-dan-dakich-west-virginia-wvu-head-coach
Dakich lasted just eight days before heading back to Bowling Green.

When asked why he made the decision to walk away from a five-year, $2.5 million contract to return to northern Ohio and $125,000 a year, Dakich alleged that during his initial evaluation of the Mountaineer program he uncovered numerous NCAA violations - most of which surrounded highly-touted guard Johnathan Hargett.

Dakich alleged Hargett informed him that he had been promised $20,000 a year by someone with ties to the West Virginia basketball program, and that he’d not been paid. Dakich later told reporters he met with then university president David Hardesty about the violations, and was basically told to cover them up or he would “be destroyed” - although Hardesty refuted those claims.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Oh yeah, I'm sure Huggins has never cheated. He was just able to get players like Michael Beasley to go to Kansas State because Manhattan Kansas is such an awesome place to be.

Oct 30, 2007
Oh yeah, I'm sure Huggins has never cheated. He was just able to get players like Michael Beasley to go to Kansas State because Manhattan Kansas is such an awesome place to be.
Cincinnati was put on probation under Huggins back in the 90's citing lack of institutional control for multiple NCAA violations. When you look at his history, he may be the conference's dirtiest coach.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

You poor, sweet naive soul.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

Thank you for clearing that up. That’s makes more sense and I remember adidas specifically being involved.

May 24, 2017
Stillwater, OK

...uh...who from Hillbilly High School has money to pay an athlete?!? Coal ain't sellin' and the folks sho smellin'!

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Bless your heart.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

You had me with the first couple sentences and it just went downhill from there. Every school with very few exceptions (military academies probably) should be worried about this investigation. Lots of people close to college basketball have been saying it got much dirtier over the past 20 years or so. We don't know exactly who's clean and who's dirty, but we know there are probably a lot of very dirty people/peograms. WVU should not be surprised in the least if their success under Huggins was partially supported by some dirt.

Also, unrelated to you, but I'm too lazy to type out another message, the NCAA doesn't need the same level of proof as our criminal system. So, trying to draw direct parallels to figure out what the NCAA will do doesn't work. Plus, this isn't even Evans' trial yet and this is just the beginning of background on that. Maybe Evans never paid a recruit, but this combined with other evidence already out there sure makes it look like he might have and the even if he didn't, he was doing some dirty things. I'll come back and fully claim it if I'm wrong, but this won't be over anytime soon, it's going to get worse before it gets better, and we will receive some kind of punishment, the severity of which will be determined how bad we end up looking relative to other schools caught in this (I don't think I have to remind anyone here that we don't exactly have a track record of getting leniency from the NCAA).

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?

No....I do not believe Army cheats.

Sep 9, 2013
1. dakich was like 30 years ago lol. nothing ever came of that clown's allegations
2. Huggins at cinn doesn't concern me. I said wvu. and i think huggins got in trouble at cinn bc his team had a 0.0 gpa for an entire year. not for money, but again wvu has oversight on its coaches.
3. huggins has said repeatedly he doesnt cheat. ppl saying kstate and cinn, but not wvu. there's a reason for that. wvu doesnt cheat.

wvu is also a tier one research university like many of the top big ten academic universities, and schools in that tier dont muddy their names over sports.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
1. dakich was like 30 years ago lol. nothing ever came of that clown's allegations
2. Huggins at cinn doesn't concern me. I said wvu. and i think huggins got in trouble at cinn bc his team had a 0.0 gpa for an entire year. not for money, but again wvu has oversight on its coaches.
3. huggins has said repeatedly he doesnt cheat. ppl saying kstate and cinn, but not wvu. there's a reason for that. wvu doesnt cheat.
And nearly all of us were convinced that after the holder/gundy/t boone takeover of the athletic department, OSU did not cheat at all. Pickens and Holder repeatedly talked about how "doing things the wrong way" only hurt your program and were directly referencing our past run ins with cheating, particularly in football. The post-SI investigation basically suggested that was the case for our football program, too. Yet, here we are with a pretty obviously dirty coach being arrested by the FBI.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

wvu is also a tier one research university like many of the top big ten academic universities, and schools in that tier dont muddy their names over sports.
What? This statement is supposed to back up your claim that WVU has never and would never have a coach, assistant coach, or booster cheat at sports? I'm sold.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

You had me with the first couple sentences and it just went downhill from there. Every school with very few exceptions (military academies probably) should be worried about this investigation. Lots of people close to college basketball have been saying it got much dirtier over the past 20 years or so. We don't know exactly who's clean and who's dirty, but we know there are probably a lot of very dirty people/peograms. WVU should not be surprised in the least if their success under Huggins was partially supported by some dirt.

Also, unrelated to you, but I'm too lazy to type out another message, the NCAA doesn't need the same level of proof as our criminal system. So, trying to draw direct parallels to figure out what the NCAA will do doesn't work. Plus, this isn't even Evans' trial yet and this is just the beginning of background on that. Maybe Evans never paid a recruit, but this combined with other evidence already out there sure makes it look like he might have and the even if he didn't, he was doing some dirty things. I'll come back and fully claim it if I'm wrong, but this won't be over anytime soon, it's going to get worse before it gets better, and we will receive some kind of punishment, the severity of which will be determined how bad we end up looking relative to other schools caught in this (I don't think I have to remind anyone here that we don't exactly have a track record of getting leniency from the NCAA).
I think they'll discover that the main problem is with agents and assistants and not the schools or head coaches. The NBA needs to reign in these agents.
I think we'll get no punishment because we did nothing wrong as a university. Heck, we didn't even offer the kid to begin with.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
A coach doing things on his own to line his own pockets at the expense of the kids.
And nearly all of us were convinced that after the holder/gundy/t boone takeover of the athletic department, OSU did not cheat at all. Pickens and Holder repeatedly talked about how "doing things the wrong way" only hurt your program and were directly referencing our past run ins with cheating, particularly in football. The post-SI investigation basically suggested that was the case for our football program, too. Yet, here we are with a pretty obviously dirty coach being arrested by the FBI.
Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk