$150,000!!!!!!???????? (Lamont Evan Bribery Thread)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If this is true, this is gonna hurt. I don't ever remember hearing that we were recruiting this kid.

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1047947532226256896
We'll never know if it's true and it hurts though it's likely not.

Aug 31, 2013
First I heard of us associated with this kid. I’m not sure if it can proven or not, but not the news I was hoping to hear today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Honestly, what does this guy have to benefit from lying and most especially about us? Just because you don't want it to be true, that doesn't mean he's lying. Maybe it wasn't 150k, but even then we may have to accept that one of our assistants did some sleazy things that could wind up hurting us and at least two other schools.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Honestly, what does this guy have to benefit from lying and most especially about us? Just because you don't want it to be true, that doesn't mean he's lying. Maybe it wasn't 150k, but even then we may have to accept that one of our assistants did some sleazy things that could wind up hurting us and at least two other schools.
I hope the fact that we was employed by OSU for a total of 17 months before getting fired helps minimize the wake of destruction to us.

Oct 30, 2007
The one recruiting class Underwood signed was ranked 86th nationally. That was the lowest ranked class we've had since 2008. Our highest ranked recruit in that class was Zach Dawson who was ranked 125th nationally.

It sure makes you wonder how we were recruiting so poorly if we were offering recruits six figures under the table.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The one recruiting class Underwood signed was ranked 86th nationally. That was the lowest ranked class we've had since 2008. Our highest ranked recruit in that class was Zach Dawson who was ranked 125th nationally.

It sure makes you wonder how we were recruiting so poorly if we were offering recruits six figures under the table.
Or how the hell travis Ford recruited so well......

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
As I understand the defense, they will try to show that schools were not defrauded because the schools and their coaches knew this stuff was happening. Stay tuned, this is a three week trial. But, from what I have read so far it seems doubtful that evidence will focus much on OSU in this particular case. Adidas schools are the focus in this trial. For OSU fans the case to really watch will be in April when Lamont Evans goes on trial. If the defense strategy works in this case, look for Evans’ attorneys to try the same tactic.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

I am guessing that we got out bid by a bigger name school. We may have never “bought” a recruit but I can guarantee you if they start poking around that you will find Kansas, Arizona, Louisville and probably others throwing out huge cash.

It’s possible that Evans was involved in a massive ring of bribery bigger than anyone would believe. I wonder how far they will dig and who they want to bring down.

Feb 28, 2007
If this is true, this is gonna hurt. I don't ever remember hearing that we were recruiting this kid.

The NCAA will follow its usual procedure, which is to investigate for two years, then punish the innocent.

Aug 16, 2012

This is hearsay. The guy saying it never heard someone from OSU make an offer, instead, it was REPORTEDLY made as told through an intermediary. The statement by itself means nothing without some sort of corroboration or proof.... unless this is being tried by the same circus surrounding Kavanaugh.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
This is hearsay. The guy saying it never heard someone from OSU make an offer, instead, it was REPORTEDLY made as told through an intermediary. The statement by itself means nothing without some sort of corroboration or proof.... unless this is being tried by the same circus surrounding Kavanaugh.
I believe that evans was making the bids and was going to present it to OSU after locking in the recruit to see if they would bite. Who knows if it would go through...….probably would have gone to a big donor to see if they could front the money.

Aug 16, 2012
I believe that evans was making the bids and was going to present it to OSU after locking in the recruit to see if they would bite. Who knows if it would go through...….probably would have gone to a big donor to see if they could front the money.
And exactly why would you believe that??? Really think we have a deep-pocket donor that is so stupid they would do something like this?

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
And exactly why would you believe that??? Really think we have a deep-pocket donor that is so stupid they would do something like this?
I don’t necessarily believe he had a donor lined up or that a donor would have made that kind of payment. My point was that I think Evans had paid for recruits at other schools and winged it until he got someone to pony up the money. He basically went to some high dollar donors and said... do you want this recruit or not, do you want to win a championship, do you want to bring recruiting to a new level? If it didn’t work, then he is not out anything other than a recruit.

Aug 16, 2012
And you really think there was going to be some sort of discussion on an actual, official, OSU-level???? Just who at OSU was going to be "presented"??? Holder??

Coach: "Hey Coach Holder, congratulations on securing another million-dollar-plus donation to the Athletic Village. While we are at it, I need $150k to make an illegal payment to a recruit. Oh, and throw in another $8k for a really crappy car. We will be fine and all this work over the past decade-plus....will not be affected in the slightest."