11-12-20 Basketball Practice

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The positive for this team is having a player the caliber of Cade Cunningham. The last time I saw a young player with his skill level was Jason Kidd with Cal. The skill level of seeing the floor and getting everyone involved. Jason Kidd was fortunate that he had a couple of high level players playing with him. Cade will make his teammates better. The biggest strength I can see is defensively with our length and athleticism on the perimeter. I’m concerned with our interior defense, but I’m hopeful our length will help. I feel like it’s very important for coach B to have a winning season and avoid bad losses. If they can sneak into the tournament I would be very happy. That being said if we struggle then it might be time to move in a different direction.

Sep 23, 2010
The positive for this team is having a player the caliber of Cade Cunningham. The last time I saw a young player with his skill level was Jason Kidd with Cal. The skill level of seeing the floor and getting everyone involved. Jason Kidd was fortunate that he had a couple of high level players playing with him. Cade will make his teammates better. The biggest strength I can see is defensively with our length and athleticism on the perimeter. I’m concerned with our interior defense, but I’m hopeful our length will help. I feel like it’s very important for coach B to have a winning season and avoid bad losses. If they can sneak into the tournament I would be very happy. That being said if we struggle then it might be time to move in a different direction.
I assume you are aware the NCAA sanctions are not allowing us in the tournament this year, but you would be hopeful we have a tournament level team?

We are picked 7th in the league and that would be good enough to get in with our conference being #1 by KenPom. I would like us to finish in that 4-5 range. I would like us to sneak by OU at 6. And then get past some of the others who might have to deal with some unknown adversity (much we did a year ago).

Sep 23, 2010
The Kidd comparison is interesting. I don't know if he's as fast as Kidd but he's longer and bouncier than. He also shoots it better than Kidd when Kidd was in college, but I see the comparison. I'm trying to pinpoint a better comparion. Cade is really unique.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I’m all in on the 4 guard line up, and I love that if we choose that line I up one of the biggest questions we’re going to have imo is challenging Cade to guard 4s on defense while taking a lead ball handler roll.

After that, the next key question is how well can Flavors and Williams play defense or how well Rondel and Harris will be able to shoot. Between the 4 of them, if we can get one of them to be a really good lead guard defender AND shoot in the high 30%s from 3, then the floor of this team becomes incredibly high.

The true upside of if we can compete for a Big 12 title will come in from the development of MAM, Keylan, and Pena. As much as I love the main line up being small, it’s going to wear so much when we face up against a WVU, Texas, or even Kansas. We’ll need really good play from guys who can actually play a more of a traditional power forward.

I know tempering expectations is wise, but if you haven’t heard Sam Veccine or some other NBA draft expert talk about Cade Cunningham yet, but I see no reason to not think we have top team in the nation upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I assume you are aware the NCAA sanctions are not allowing us in the tournament this year, but you would be hopeful we have a tournament level team?

We are picked 7th in the league and that would be good enough to get in with our conference being #1 by KenPom. I would like us to finish in that 4-5 range. I would like us to sneak by OU at 6. And then get past some of the others who might have to deal with some unknown adversity (much we did a year ago).
Technically we're currently in appeal and we can even take it to court. As long as one of those two things is occurring we are still eligible for the tournament.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
t’s going to wear so much when we face up against a WVU, Texas, or even Kansas. We’ll need really good play from guys who can actually play a more of a traditional power forward.
I agree with this, except Texas "big guys" spend the majority of their time lurking around the three point line. KU/WVU use their big guys like big guys are traditionally used. which could cause us some major problems. What worries me more than getting pounded inside though is the kick out three, that has absolutely killed us the last few years.

Nov 6, 2010
I agree with this, except Texas "big guys" spend the majority of their time lurking around the three point line. KU/WVU use their big guys like big guys are traditionally used. which could cause us some major problems. What worries me more than getting pounded inside though is the kick out three, that has absolutely killed us the last few years.
We should have the guys to really close out on those this year. I think our defense is going to be really tough all around.

Sep 23, 2010
I think Kansas is going small ball as well with one big. West Virginia is the team to have concerns with when we play small ball.

The reality is....the last time OSU won the league was with small ball in 2004. Joey Graham played the 4 and was nightmare match up, TC backed it up. Ivan Mcfarlin was the center. Let's run it back.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think Kansas is going small ball as well with one big. West Virginia is the team to have concerns with when we play small ball.

The reality is....the last time OSU won the league was with small ball in 2004. Joey Graham played the 4 and was nightmare match up, TC backed it up. Ivan Mcfarlin was the center. Let's run it back.
Yeah I agree with all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I watched both practices. If you don’t think Ice looks like a better, more confident shooter I don’t know what to tell you. He and Cade play off of one another really well.

Pena was at the second practice. He was in sweats watching.

This team is gonna be a nightmare defensively. They’re going to surprise a lot of you with how good we’ll be.

Sep 23, 2010
I watched both practices. If you don’t think Ice looks like a better, more confident shooter I don’t know what to tell you. He and Cade play off of one another really well.

This team is gonna be a nightmare defensively. They’re going to surprise a lot of you with how good we’ll be.
Ice shot it terribly in practice #2. Guys were backing off of him daring him to shoot. He became hesitant to the point where Boynton had to pump him back up a bit. Ice is still a really good player, but shooting is his glaring wart.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Ice shot it terribly in practice #2. Guys were backing off of him daring him to shoot. He became hesitant to the point where Boynton had to pump him back up a bit. Ice is still a really good player, but shooting is his glaring wart.
Go watch the practice again. In the drills he hits four 3’s in a row at one point. His form is noticeable improved. In the scrimmage scenarios he hesitated on two shots and then Boynton makes the comments. In the first televised scrimmage he shot lights out in the drills and made one pull up in rhythm 3 in a situational scrimmage. I feel like you’re focusing on the negative instead of seeing the bigger picture. I’d put money on him shooting a higher percentage on an increased number of shots this year, want to take that bet? For reference Ice is a 24% career 3 point shooter on 39 total attempts in two seasons of college. Taking baby steps here I’d bet he shoots just under 30% on around 30 attempts this year.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Guys, I'm gonna put this here. Cade is on the preseason player of the year ballot and there is fan voting going on. Here's today's current poll to vote on. I'm putting it here because I know if I start a new thread it won't be seen as there are those that have me blocked.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1329858132517023746?s=19

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Ice needs to play to his strength and post up on smaller guards. If he’s taking more than 1 or 2 treys a game he’s not playing to his strength.
Ice has taken 39 3’s in 60 career games. Are you saying he hasn’t been playing to his strengths?

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
The majority of ice’s points come in transition. The last 10 games last year we saw him score more around the basketball where he showed his physicality and was tough to guard. I made reference to the number of three’s he attempts based on what’s being reported by practice reports. I just hope he plays within himself and doesn’t try to become something he isn’t. Having Cade with ball in his hands should allow Ice to capitalize on utilizing his big broad body in gaining position closer to the hoop.

Sep 23, 2010
Go watch the practice again. In the drills he hits four 3’s in a row at one point. His form is noticeable improved. In the scrimmage scenarios he hesitated on two shots and then Boynton makes the comments. In the first televised scrimmage he shot lights out in the drills and made one pull up in rhythm 3 in a situational scrimmage. I feel like you’re focusing on the negative instead of seeing the bigger picture. I’d put money on him shooting a higher percentage on an increased number of shots this year, want to take that bet? For reference Ice is a 24% career 3 point shooter on 39 total attempts in two seasons of college. Taking baby steps here I’d bet he shoots just under 30% on around 30 attempts this year.
I admittedly did not watch the drills portion but watched any live action. A good college 3pt shooter in drills with nobody guarding him should shoot around 80% so making 4 in a row in a drill does not impress me. I am positive about our team and Ice as a player. I was just trying to be honest with everyone and pointing out that the hole in his game still exist and it could be factor when playing with Cade. Just under 30% would still be problematic at times.

Jun 14, 2011
I admittedly did not watch the drills portion but watched any live action. A good college 3pt shooter in drills with nobody guarding him should shoot around 80% so making 4 in a row in a drill does not impress me. I am positive about our team and Ice as a player. I was just trying to be honest with everyone and pointing out that the hole in his game still exist and it could be factor when playing with Cade. Just under 30% would still be problematic at times.
Also, while his form is improved, it is still not great by any means. It was the one thing he needed to focus on over the off season. I am not holding my breath on him making enough progression to keep defenses honest, but I would love to be proven wrong.

So far and in general, I have not been overly impressed on the skill changes I would hope to see among returning players under Boynton. I know I'm cherry picking, but specifically I am thinking of Lindy and his lack of ball handling. It was painful watching him bring the ball up the court his junior year, and really, in my opinion, his only weakness. Senior year, same issue with little to no apparent change. Same with ICE and his shooting from freshman to soph. No change. I'm really going to be watching AA and Harris's shooting this year, as while I know they were freshman and that can be a tough spot for the young guys, they both really needed to improve that aspect of their game.

Sep 23, 2010
Also, while his form is improved, it is still not great by any means. It was the one thing he needed to focus on over the off season. I am not holding my breath on him making enough progression to keep defenses honest, but I would love to be proven wrong.

So far and in general, I have not been overly impressed on the skill changes I would hope to see among returning players under Boynton. I know I'm cherry picking, but specifically I am thinking of Lindy and his lack of ball handling. It was painful watching him bring the ball up the court his junior year, and really, in my opinion, his only weakness. Senior year, same issue with little to no apparent change. Same with ICE and his shooting from freshman to soph. No change. I'm really going to be watching AA and Harris's shooting this year, as while I know they were freshman and that can be a tough spot for the young guys, they both really needed to improve that aspect of their game.
In Lindy's defense, he should not have been asked to bring the ball up the court. We put him in a tough spot. He just doesn't have the speed and quickness to deal with strong quick guards pressuring him in the back court.

I think Ice's shooting will improve some. But bottom line, he's our second best player so we have to make him fit with Cade.